Returning Drummer Aches.

StoveHound

So I recently returned to drumming with a full band again and doing shows, however I've noticed that some things are a lot different body wise for me than when I last drummed at 23/24 (I'm 32 now).

I practice at home with an electric kit and then an acoustic with the band, lately I've been getting these weird aches and pains in my hips/pelvic region, also my butt aches after sitting for more than 20 mins or so on my current stool.

Anyone got any posture/ergonomic tips to help? I can't afford to splash out on a new drum throne right now so that's out of the question. I'm kind of figuring that in my younger days I didn't pay attention to what I was doing with my body I just drummed! Now a slightly older person (who's not in as good shape) I'm starting to feel it!

If you're playing a cheapo $40 throne, start packing ibuprofen to gigs, I guess. Or prioritize a new throne.

I'll once again pitch the Gibraltar 9608-2T as the best bang for the buck in midrange thrones - breaks down nicely, heavy enough to stay put but light enough to avoid hernias, best seat on a throne this side of a Roc-n-Soc. This week Walmart seems to have the best price at $110 and free shipping.

I can't afford to splash out on a new drum throne right now so that's out of the question.

For how long?

You need to understand: normal people, in a normal state of physical shape, on a normal diet -- they will have health problems playing drums. It's a physical instrument by nature. You need a GREAT stool, a diet, and some strength/agility training. Maybe you don't need all three of these things right now. But you will.

It will cost you nothing to start counting calories on your phone, and doing daily basic stretches/yoga poses; and next to nothing to get some dumbbells and a resistance band for basic resistance training.

It sounds like you are out of shape, not grossly, but in using the muscles now that you have not used. Everything needs to be stretched out and worked more.
And yes, by all means make getting a decent throne a priority. In the meantime, have you played and with the throne height or the ergonomics of your a-kit? That might help too.

Playing the drums is a full body exercise. From your little pinky finger to your large leg muscle to your full back. I go to the gym two days per week. Lift some weights do some treadmill. Sorry that’s the way it is. If you are lazy, learn to play the harmonica.

You need a GREAT stool, a diet, and ...

This made me spit out coffee because somehow my mind went elsewhere! But of course I agree with all of your comments too.

Playing the drums is a full body exercise. From your little pinky finger to your large leg muscle to your full back. I go to the gym two days per week. Lift some weights do some treadmill. Sorry that’s the way it is. If you are lazy, learn to play the harmonica.

Oh and I might add that hauling the drums around, setting them up and taking them down is harder on my body than actually “playing” the drums.

Check your posture. Knees slightly lower than your hips, sit up straight , have your kit set up so that you are not over-reaching for anything. Is your throne padded, full of padding and not flat from old age??? Lots of reasons. Are you lfiting your accoustic set by yourself now when you haven't for 8 years.??

lately I've been getting these weird aches and pains in my hips/pelvic region, also my butt aches after sitting for more than 20 mins or so on my current stool.

If possible get a simple checkup on your spine, make sure there are no signs of curvature issues. Especially if, in addition to the aches in your hips, you start to have neck aches.
32 is way too young to have pain just from sitting behind a drum kit.

If possible get a simple checkup on your spine, make sure there are no signs of curvature issues. Especially if, in addition to the aches in your hips, you start to have neck aches.

32 is young to feel those pains playing drum.
Elbow tendinitis, OK. But what you explain looks more like a body too stiff, a bad stool and bad posture.
Better stool, relax, warm up before playing. Do you play twin pedal ? Speed metal ?
Drumming is physical, that's right but it's rarely as physical as a tennis game. The worst part of drumming being the hardware bag to lift ;-)

It will cost you nothing to start counting calories on your phone, and doing daily basic stretches/yoga poses; and next to nothing to get some dumbbells and a resistance band for basic resistance training.

Do you have some recommendations for stretches specifically for drummers? I already do stretches to strengthen my lower back.

Check your posture. Knees slightly lower than your hips, sit up straight , have your kit set up so that you are not over-reaching for anything. Is your throne padded, full of padding and not flat from old age??? Lots of reasons. Are you lfiting your accoustic set by yourself now when you haven't for 8 years.??

Posture is probably the key here along with the throne issues. I feel like the only thing I overreach on is my pedals. I never seem to be able to find a clear spot where I feel comfortable with them, especially when I'm playing fast beats with my kick drum. I tend to be a little heavy when playing as well so I doubt that helps.

The throne I'm currently using is some standard (I assume fairly cheap) mapex model that I got free with my kit years ago. It's not got much padding and after an hour or so feels like I've been sitting on a hard surface!

Already had this done, I did have back issues a few years ago (had physio etc) from an old work injury, but thankfully I don't get much pain from my back nowadays. I think the pain is mainly coming from the fact that my throne isn't great and possibly my posture when playing. I play heel up on my pedals and I sort of find myself bearing down on my hips a bit too much sometimes, especially when playing faster stuff.

Although from what a few of the other guys are saying it sounds like I might just be out of shape.

I'm also playing faster stuff than what I've previously played (went from playing blues/slower rock and a bit of metal to punkier stuff).

I won't rehash what others have posted, but take their advice on posture, drum throne, etc.

After that, if you still get some pain, try Tiger Balm.

Do you have some recommendations for stretches specifically for drummers? I already do stretches to strengthen my lower back.

Posture is probably the key here along with the throne issues. I feel like the only thing I overreach on is my pedals. I never seem to be able to find a clear spot where I feel comfortable with them, especially when I'm playing fast beats with my kick drum. I tend to be a little heavy when playing as well so I doubt that helps.

The throne I'm currently using is some standard (I assume fairly cheap) mapex model that I got free with my kit years ago. It's not got much padding and after an hour or so feels like I've been sitting on a hard surface!

Already had this done, I did have back issues a few years ago (had physio etc) from an old work injury, but thankfully I don't get much pain from my back nowadays. I think the pain is mainly coming from the fact that my throne isn't great and possibly my posture when playing. I play heel up on my pedals and I sort of find myself bearing down on my hips a bit too much sometimes, especially when playing faster stuff.

Although from what a few of the other guys are saying it sounds like I might just be out of shape.

I'm also playing faster stuff than what I've previously played (went from playing blues/slower rock and a bit of metal to punkier stuff).

If the throne seems hard after an hour, don't even think about a three hour gig. Fix your pedals so you don't have to reach. Start with the basics. Set up your throne, then your pedals in a comfortable spot, then buld the kit around you.

..Although from what a few of the other guys are saying it sounds like I might just be out of shape..

I think such things should not be exaggerated too much..

People like Dennis Chambers, Kirk Covington, Jeff Hamilton and even Colaiuta never seemed to be in fantastic shape regarding their weight (if thats what you mean) and for some reason i also refuse to imagine any of them in Yoga positions..lol.., allthough Yoga can be a helpful thing maybe to release the mind a little from unnecessary stress which can help to improve someone's focus..Forgive me btw if i missed somewhere an interview where a before mentioned drummer confessed to be a fanatical Yoga fan..

Also regarding a drumchair things depend a lot on your personal preference..Some people feel that they really need a $300 drumchair, other people just grab any chair available..

The picture shows Han Bennink btw, a drummer from which most likely everyone here will say that he has bad posture, etc, but apparently someone can still play like that more than 50 years on a pretty high level..

My advice would be to just play..

Just play and find out when the pain/tension starts and if you can adjust something in your playing at that moment to stop the tension..Also maybe change the seat height a little, maybe change the position to the pedals a little, maybe change the position to the complete set a little, maybe change the height of toms/hi-hat/snaredrum/cymbals a little, etc..

And if none of those things help, then i would advice to first invest a few hundred dollars in some lessons from a quality teacher, instead of running immediately to the store to buy there your solution..There is always time for that..

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 152
“I'm also playing faster stuff than what I've previously played (went from playing blues/slower rock and a bit of metal to punkier stuff).”
It’s The “punkier stuff” that is the cause of all your problems. You may be forcing your speed, causing a lot of muscle tension. So, yeah, readjust your kit to allow easier play.

I agree with opentune. You may have muscles that are mildly atrophied. Happens to me when I try out, go back to, or change a technique in a sport. Google stretches for hips, buttocks, and glutes.

Last edited:

Any of the downward dog type poses, stuff where you're on your hands and knees, are good for "threading" the nerves along your back and sides, preventing/mitigating sciatica. The shoulder and neck yoga stretches/poses are good, too. When your shoulders and neck slouch, this adds stress to your lower back and hips.

It bears repeating that some resistance/weight training is a great companion to drumming. Squats, pushups/bench press, shoulder presses, reverse fly press -- all address the muscles involved in playing drums.

So let us know how these stretches work out for you, especially for bad right hip, etc..I really want to know if you are slamming your drums vs. playing them. I’m 71, 2 years into stroke recovery and my biggest pains are hand/finger related. I play 50-50 trad and matched grips, heel down, too, decent throne 5 pc. Kit, covering all kinds of fast rock, but don’t hammer my drums...

Back