Return to Ludwig Club Date USA or Gretsch Brooklyn

Warrenwood

Hello everybody! Last last December, I posted a question to the forum: should I buy a slightly used Ludwig Club Date or a new Gretsch Brooklyn? I wanted to add a new sound in addition to my vintage drums. In both sets, the sizes would be 12-14-20, and the types of music I like to play are classic rock and blues, maybe some big band. After going through several fantastic posts (and a couple of drum shootout videos) I decided on the Gretsch. Based on the videos, Gretsch would give me a new type of tone, whereas the Club Date would be similar to my vintage Ludwigs.

At the time I ordered (through Sweetwater), Gretsch was giving a turnaround time of 10-14 weeks. It's now past the 14 weeks, and Gretsch will not answer Sweetwater's question on "when?" They literally will not answer the email my Sweetwater rep sent (more than one.) Of course I had to pay in full up front, so the lack of response has irritated me a bit.

Another 2019 Club Date has popped up nearby and it's in great shape. If I tune the Club Date higher than my vintage Ludwigs, I can make the Club Date sound somewhat different than my vintage Ludwigs... a mix of vintage and musical. So I'm thinking about cancelling the Gretsch. Yeah, I've wasted 3 months... and Murphy's Law says that if I were to cancel, mine would have been the next on the workbench... but the lack of response is frustrating.

Any thoughts or opinions?

I would stick it out. The Brooklyns are more modern and versatile and frankly, they just sound better. You have a vintage Ludwig kit, so the Club Dates would be kinda redundant, don't you think?

Covid has really messed everything up. Lots of drum gear is out of stock and manufacturers are playing catchup, so it's no surprise that they're a little slow.

Here's an idea...tweet @gretschdrums and say you haven't received a response. That usually gets any company's attention real quick. :)

I own a set of 2019 Club dates in your sizes and really really like them. I thought they sounded very similar to Ludwig classics in the Ludwig shootout video. So if you're wanting something different I would wait it out for the Brooklins. I would like to have some Brooks also but the clubdates are great for me.

Hello everybody! Last last December, I posted a question to the forum: should I buy a slightly used Ludwig Club Date or a new Gretsch Brooklyn? I wanted to add a new sound in addition to my vintage drums. In both sets, the sizes would be 12-14-20, and the types of music I like to play are classic rock and blues, maybe some big band. After going through several fantastic posts (and a couple of drum shootout videos) I decided on the Gretsch. Based on the videos, Gretsch would give me a new type of tone, whereas the Club Date would be similar to my vintage Ludwigs.

At the time I ordered (through Sweetwater), Gretsch was giving a turnaround time of 10-14 weeks. It's now past the 14 weeks, and Gretsch will not answer Sweetwater's question on "when?" They literally will not answer the email my Sweetwater rep sent (more than one.) Of course I had to pay in full up front, so the lack of response has irritated me a bit.

Another 2019 Club Date has popped up nearby and it's in great shape. If I tune the Club Date higher than my vintage Ludwigs, I can make the Club Date sound somewhat different than my vintage Ludwigs... a mix of vintage and musical. So I'm thinking about cancelling the Gretsch. Yeah, I've wasted 3 months... and Murphy's Law says that if I were to cancel, mine would have been the next on the workbench... but the lack of response is frustrating.

Any thoughts or opinions?
I would talk to the gretsch rep myself at the factory. DW in California handles the brooklyn series. good luck

Follow-up: my Sweetwater guru just called me, the drums are in and shipping to me today! I should have them on Wednesday or Thursday!

Best Monday ever!

The drums are in three boxes, and apparently decided to take three different routes to get to me. One box is out for delivery today, the other two will arrive tomorrow. And tomorrow I'm out of town (sigh) so I'm having to reroute the boxes to a FedEx depot.

So I went ahead and unboxed the 8x10" drum that arrived today. I have to admit it's gorgeous! I tinkered with tuning it, I'm not sure I'm going to like the Gretsch-branded head that shipped with it.

It's on the stand now, waiting for the rest of the drums to arrive. Looks a little lonely ;) .

Attachments

• IMG_1322.jpg
    IMG_1322.jpg
    186.1 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_1323.jpg
    IMG_1323.jpg
    200.2 KB · Views: 18
I love those Brooklyn kits! Congratulations!

And to wrap it all up, the various boxes have arrived! Yay!!! I spent last night assembling and tuning, and here it is! Drum sizes are 7x10, 8x12, 14x14 FT, 16x16 FT and a 16x20 bass. I also ordered both the 5.5x14 and 6.5x14 snare drums.

Talk about sustain and tone! Once it was assembled and tuned, I did a simple drum fill... AND EVERY SNARE DRUM ON THE SHELVES BEHIND ME BUZZED IN SYMPATHY! Sounded like a swarm of wasps attacking :). So I made a quick trip to a fabric store and bough some felt squares. Once the squares were between the snare wires and the reso heads, I played the new kit for a while.

She's nice! VERY nice! I'm not sure about the 14" FT, but I'll keep playing with it. I tuned the snare drums identically; the 5.5 is like a rifle shot while the 6.5 is warm and fat. I love the sustain and the pure tone of the toms. It's very different from the vintage drums in my collection, and different from the DW kit I had.

Attachments

• IMG_1343.jpg
    IMG_1343.jpg
    193.3 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_1342.jpg
    IMG_1342.jpg
    177.1 KB · Views: 18
And to wrap it all up, the various boxes have arrived! Yay!!! I spent last night assembling and tuning, and here it is! Drum sizes are 7x10, 8x12, 14x14 FT, 16x16 FT and a 16x20 bass. I also ordered both the 5.5x14 and 6.5x14 snare drums.

Talk about sustain and tone! Once it was assembled and tuned, I did a simple drum fill... AND EVERY SNARE DRUM ON THE SHELVES BEHIND ME BUZZED IN SYMPATHY! Sounded like a swarm of wasps attacking :). So I made a quick trip to a fabric store and bough some felt squares. Once the squares were between the snare wires and the reso heads, I played the new kit for a while.

She's nice! VERY nice! I'm not sure about the 14" FT, but I'll keep playing with it. I tuned the snare drums identically; the 5.5 is like a rifle shot while the 6.5 is warm and fat. I love the sustain and the pure tone of the toms. It's very different from the vintage drums in my collection, and different from the DW kit I had.
I have Gretsch Renowns which are very similar, so I know exactly what you're talking about in regard to sustain and tone. They sing!

What seems to be the issue with the 14" floor tom?

What seems to be the issue with the 14" floor tom?
It's me, not the drum. First, being middle aged has made reaching far to my right a little harder than it used to be, so it's a little hard to reach the 16" FT. Plus most of the music I play lends itself to the deeper voice of the 16" FT.

I just need to practice more ;) .

It's me, not the drum. First, being middle aged has made reaching far to my right a little harder than it used to be, so it's a little hard to reach the 16" FT. Plus most of the music I play lends itself to the deeper voice of the 16" FT.

I just need to practice more ;) .
I have a 14" and 16" but rarely use both at the same time because I don't like the reach either.

Try putting the 14" FT to the left of the hi-hat. Give your left hand more to do!

Gorgeous! I have a set of Renowns in those sizes and similarly finished. They do indeed sing!

I bought the 16" FT to use with the 14" and like you guys, I don't dig having to reach for it. I like the rumble of a 16 too. Still, I think it was wise to grab it while I could.

No doubt you'll get years of pleasure from that kit. Congrats again!

Back