Retiring at the end of the month!

Chollyred

I think it's kind of like having a baby. If you wait until you can afford it, you miss the good years. A couple of months ago, I was pushed into a transportation job after someone else left. Was pretty much left on my own to learn how to do the job as there is no documentation and no training. Then I got a new boss about 6 weeks ago, and suddenly I was being blamed for everything going wrong in the logistics world. The company had no basis in reality of what Covid and politics has done to the world economy. Finally, I got tired of the stress and blame and turned in my notice Tuesday. I told them I could not let a $2 piece of plastic (cell phone cases) define my life.
Suddenly, their eyes are opening up to a little bit of reality and have asked me to stay. Told them no.

I may not have two Lincolns to rub together, but I'm looking forward to some decompression, spending time with my wife and great-grandkids. Working on a plan to get my drum room back, and hoping to spend a couple of hours a day playing drums and guitar.

That's awesome. Congratulations on your new freedom from wage slavery and enjoy the kids!

Last edited:
Congrats, I'm a big fan of retirement and sometimes a negative situation like that is what you need to finally take the leap. I've worked full-time since I was 16 but got laid off a few years ago. Took a part time job and realized all the bills were getting paid and the only difference was we weren't eating out multiple times a week. Now I put in 12 hours a week at an art store just to get out and be social and I have great customers and a really good group of high school and college kids I work with and have absolutely zero stress. They keep asking me if I want to take a manger position and I'm like never again, lol. It took some adjustment but it's well worth the effort.
Enjoy

I think it's kind of like having a baby. If you wait until you can afford it, you miss the good years. A couple of months ago, I was pushed into a transportation job after someone else left. Was pretty much left on my own to learn how to do the job as there is no documentation and no training. Then I got a new boss about 6 weeks ago, and suddenly I was being blamed for everything going wrong in the logistics world. The company had no basis in reality of what Covid and politics has done to the world economy. Finally, I got tired of the stress and blame and turned in my notice Tuesday. I told them I could not let a $2 piece of plastic (cell phone cases) define my life.
Suddenly, their eyes are opening up to a little bit of reality and have asked me to stay. Told them no.

I may not have two Lincolns to rub together, but I'm looking forward to some decompression, spending time with my wife and great-grandkids. Working on a plan to get my drum room back, and hoping to spend a couple of hours a day playing drums and guGreat

Congratz on making the move. It will be different, maybe not better, maybe not worse but different.

My job was eliminated after 22 years... I was offered another but decided to pull the plug. For almost two years I did very little and things worked out just fine. When I was ready, I took a new job in a similar field but working as a flunkie, not a manager. No stress, do my time and walk away.

You'll be fine. Enjoy your new life.

Congrats on your retirement!
You don't need to have a baby, haha!
You don't need two Lincolns.
You have a wife who loves you. You are beginning a new chapter in your life.
You have more time now for drumming.
Ride your life now and count your blessings!

I may not have two Lincolns to rub together, but I'm looking forward to some decompression, spending time with my wife and great-grandkids. Working on a plan to get my drum room back, and hoping to spend a couple of hours a day playing drums and guitar.
I quit my job October 28 2019. The stress was destroying me both mentally and physically. The following December my wife told me I was retired and she would get a job to pay the bills. Since then, I tend to the house and she works ~25 hours a week. Life is fantastic all the way around since. Enjoy your newly found freedom.

Sooooo jealous!

Enjoy the well earned time!

I retired in September 2020. No regrets.

Since most of my experience was military, I found it difficult to adjust to civilian ways of thinking. I retired from the Army in 2013 and kept working. At first it was for the US Militay. I did well; very well. Then I foolishly took a high paying job in the civilian sector. Big mistake. Hated every minute.

When I gave my two week notice, my Boss avoided me the entire time. Zero communication. About an hour before I was supposed to leave on the last day she called me into her office and said she hated her job, hated the fact that I could just leave and said she's stuck in this miserable existence for the rest of her life.

All of my retired friends are happy and look really well when I see them. Not one of them has ever said they regret retiring (they’re too busy!)…good for you guys! (y) :D

Been semi-retired since I was 40. Such a lovely & privileged position to be in which I am truly grateful.
I have always been one of those that loathes working for others, especially big companies.

I was going to retire next year in March, then the end of this year and now I don't think I want to make it to the end of the year.
Now I'm down to thinking, " what's a good date to retire "?

Back