Resurrecting YAMAHA Recording Custom 14x10

TheJarvis

While in a 10 week lockdown here in Melbourne I found a 14x10 Recording Custom tom in cherry red with the good old YESS mount, it was a little worse for wear but that's OK as these are a little hard to find. Always wanted the PHAT and fast Vinnie sound from the 80's.

So, whilst in lockdown and being a former bespoke detailer it was really due for a freshen up.

Chrome was a little dirty and dusty.

IMG_6350.jpeg

IMG_6351.jpeg

The tom holder and YESS mount was completely stripped, cleaned a ready for polishing and a service.
IMG_6352.jpeg

All chrome polised using California Purple Polish, I usually use FRIZZ, MOTHERS or others but Purple Polish works amazingly well on YAMAHA chrome.
IMG_6353.jpeg

Now relegated to the laundry (garage was too cold) was the simple process of removing the swirls and marring from the clear. You see in the light that the marring isn't bad but not great either.
IMG_6354.jpeg

After trying several compounds like Angelwax Enigma AIO and some URO-Fiber pads I found Regenerate Medium compound and the URO-Fiber medium pad was the best overall choice to remove the marring, this still left some micro marring behind. The final pass (Jeweling pass) was a black finishing pad with Angelwax Redemption Finishing Polish.
IMG_6355.jpeg

IMG_6357.jpeg

Sealed off with some DODO JUICE Purple Haze Pro that I had lying around to seal the clear.

IMG_6359.jpeg

It's not new (far from it) but it's back a cleaner and fresher look for a workhorse of a drum.

IMG_6360.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_6356.jpeg
    IMG_6356.jpeg
    308.9 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

harryconway

Platinum Member
That came out looking great !!!

SharkSandwich

LOVE those drums! Great job!

Fritz Frigursson

if i ever found a 9000 RC with normal sizes (for christ’s sake i only find power toms) and floor toms with legs i would be a happy man

TheJarvis

Pft that drum looks like new, nice
Thanks man, really appreciate the kind words.
if i ever found a 9000 RC with normal sizes (for christ’s sake i only find power toms) and floor toms with legs i would be a happy man
I know what you mean, I bought an entire shell bank over time and only need a couple of sizes to finish it off. 13x11, 16x14, 18x16 and 26" kick.

SomeBadDrummer

While in a 10 week lockdown here in Melbourne I found a 14x10 Recording Custom tom in cherry red with the good old YESS mount, it was a little worse for wear but that's OK as these are a little hard to find. Always wanted the PHAT and fast Vinnie sound from the 80's.

So, whilst in lockdown and being a former bespoke detailer it was really due for a freshen up.

Chrome was a little dirty and dusty.

View attachment 105897

View attachment 105898

The tom holder and YESS mount was completely stripped, cleaned a ready for polishing and a service.
View attachment 105899

All chrome polised using California Purple Polish, I usually use FRIZZ, MOTHERS or others but Purple Polish works amazingly well on YAMAHA chrome.
View attachment 105900

Now relegated to the laundry (garage was too cold) was the simple process of removing the swirls and marring from the clear. You see in the light that the marring isn't bad but not great either.
View attachment 105901

After trying several compounds like Angelwax Enigma AIO and some URO-Fiber pads I found Regenerate Medium compound and the URO-Fiber medium pad was the best overall choice to remove the marring, this still left some micro marring behind. The final pass (Jeweling pass) was a black finishing pad with Angelwax Redemption Finishing Polish.
View attachment 105902

View attachment 105904

Sealed off with some DODO JUICE Purple Haze Pro that I had lying around to seal the clear.

View attachment 105906

It's not new (far from it) but it's back a cleaner and fresher look for a workhorse of a drum.

View attachment 105907
That is a fabulous job restoring everything, very impressive and very well done!