Restore my old friend

picasso

Hello from Spain, my English is very bad, I'm sorry.

I have an old Yamaha Recording from 1980, it has knocks and the paint is broken, I'm going to paint it again but I have some doubts.

I want to paint the battery RED HOT color, is the name that was given to the red color to the Yamahas Recordin, but I do not know the color code (pantonne ??)

And another question, I'll remove the rivet hole grommet but in my city I can not find the exact measurement, can someone tell me a link to the rivet hole grommet to buy them?

Thanks and regards!

Last edited:

Stroker

Platinum Member
Magnífico kit, Picasso!

You should be able to confirm the colour code by contacting Yamaha with the Model and Ser. #'s.

WallyY

Platinum Member
Welcome, picasso!

It is likely a standard Japanese paint color from the JPMA color book, or from the European RAL colors. but you won't be able to match the color by eye. You must have someone either use a spectrophotometer machine to match it or find out the color number from Yamaha.

Tamaefx

Silver Member
GReat great kit !

I guess that if you bring your bass drum hoop to a car body painter he could help you on this. It's like a firetruck red, he could give you a reference code, RAL, for instance, Pantone it's more for web or printing.

KamaK

Platinum Member
A suggestion that may or may not apply to the OP:

When I get a scratch/gouge in an instrument, I bring the instrument to CVS and walk down the cosmetics aisle to the nail care section. I usually can find a match without an issue. They even carry a nitrocellulose clear-coat that I've used on several old Les Paul's. For poly-coated instruments, I tend to use food-color and CA glue.

Once you have a match, it's just a drop-fill, shave, sand, and buff.

Last edited:

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
Glad you are finally able to post. Some glitch somewhere. You had all three mods looking. Welcome and happy drumming.

Masheanhed

A suggestion that may or may not apply to the OP:

When I get a scratch/gouge in an instrument, I bring the instrument to CVS and walk down the cosmetics aisle to the nail care section. I usually can find a match without an issue. They even carry a nitrocellulose clear-coat that I've used on several old Les Paul's. For poly-coated instruments, I tend to use food-color and CA glue.

Once you have a match, it's just a drop-fill, shave, sand, and buff.
I've tried this myself and it works pretty well. I even got a close match on a sparkle finish once. You could still see it but you had to be right up on it to notice.

picasso

Thank you all for the information, I sent an email to Yamaha, I hope you will answer me.

The most difficult thing is to find the rivet hole grommet.

I'll keep telling you.

JustJames

Platinum Member
If the drums are valuable, I'm going to go against the flow here and say "Don't re-paint them!". Something is only original once. Tidy them up, clean them up, but don't re-paint them. Leave them in their original but worn paint. Let them wear their battle scars with pride.

Icetech

Gold Member
If the drums are valuable, I'm going to go against the flow here and say "Don't re-paint them!". Something is only original once. Tidy them up, clean them up, but don't re-paint them. Leave them in their original but worn paint. Let them wear their battle scars with pride.
I'm with you.. unless they are really bad...