Respect

Andy

Honorary Member
A few days back, I got a call from a great player who supported Guru Drums for many years, & in our limited way, we supported him. He's been touring & recording (immense schedule, numerous artists) his steam bent sepele kit since 2011. He was gutted about our announcement last year, but of course, understood the context.

Anyhow, he called to say he's been increasingly concerned about running his kit into the ground, & wants to retire it to his studio. He's accepted a deal from a well known drum company that includes overseas tour support, etc, etc, and wanted to inform me before it's announced. I was touched by this. More than a year after we've disappeared from the landscape, he still thought in terms of loyalty & respect.

There's some great players out there with old school values - it's just one reason why this player gets so much work, but an important reason, more important than many realise.

Nice to see some people realise artist relations is a 2 way street.

I'd love to see some of the e-mails you must have had down the years from the opposite end of the spectrum.

That's the way it should be!

Old School Cool!
Always :)

Nice to see some people realise artist relations is a 2 way street.
I'd love to see some of the e-mails you must have had down the years from the opposite end of the spectrum.
I could assemble a book with some of those emails!!!!

Big gigs - blah blah blah, "tour" of hometown - blah blah blah, I want (insert expensive kit spec here) free, here's links to my band's Youtube video with 300 views, etc, etc, etc.

Very classy indeed. That was news worth waking up to.
Absolutely - faith restored.

That's the way it should be!
Is there any other way?

There was once a rock band in town. They fired their lead singer whom I had been friends with for a long time. They got another lead singer. They fired their drummer and asked me if I wanted to join. I ended up calling my friend (lead singer) who they fired to tell him that I was joining that band, but I feel no ill will towards him and that this in no way was a slight on him, and that I was still friends with him. He told me that meant a lot for me to call and talk.

It's amazing what a short conversation will do for folks.

Last edited:
Respect is a Lost Art to the Majority these Days Sadly.

Guru drums...it's more like a relationship buying Guru drums than a business transaction. He felt that you deserved an explanation. Side effect of yours and Dean's high standards Andy.

Respect and professional integrity. Both well deserved and earned Andy. Great story to share. I have two musician education friends and one had been teaching at a private school and was leaving over salary issue, my other friend took the position so went by for a friendly professional courtesy chat. He said he walked in and introduced himself ( they didn’t know each other) and he said he refused to shake his hand or speak just got up and walked out, I was so disappointed. Your story helps restore my faith in humanity.

Respect is a Lost Art to the Majority these Days Sadly.
Indeed, but perversely, makes it more special when it happens.

Nice
f.png

Guru drums...it's more like a relationship buying Guru drums than a business transaction. He felt that you deserved an explanation. Side effect of yours and Dean's high standards Andy.
Thanks Larry. We have a good distance relationship. This particular player is just a super nice guy too, and it's likely more to do with his character than anything else.

Respect and professional integrity. Both well deserved and earned Andy. Great story to share. I have two musician education friends and one had been teaching at a private school and was leaving over salary issue, my other friend took the position so went by for a friendly professional courtesy chat. He said he walked in and introduced himself ( they didn’t know each other) and he said he refused to shake his hand or speak just got up and walked out, I was so disappointed. Your story helps restore my faith in humanity.
That's very sad to hear Art. Of course, I don't know the dynamics in your story, but surely it's difficult to get pissed with someone who jumped into a position you voluntarily vacated? Maybe the incoming guy was offered a bigger salary - then I could understand the reaction to some degree.

Back