Resonant heads

DDan

Hi Drummers!

I just ordered the Evans UV2 tom pack (10 12 16) and a 8'' as well. I would like to have your opinions on what resonant heads i should go with to have a good match..

Thank you Drummers!!

Along with the debate of "how often should one change them" is never ending. Thoughts?

I tend to change my resonant heads when I want something new. I'm sure they'll eventually go dead over time but I've always moved on to another head long before I've noticed any change in the current one.

I put the date with Sharpie on the bottom heads. I'll go 2 years tops with snare side heads. Tom resos I leave on a pretty long time, a few years

Interesting dating method., not unlike the stickers placed on windshields after oil changes. I always remove those though. They're visual pollutants.

I'm surprised you'll go up to two years without changing your resonant snare head. I'm not faulting you in any way. I just assumed you'd impose a more stringent expiration date. I guess I need to stop making presumptions about people's relationships with drumheads.

Last edited:
On my new restoration job, I put G12s OVER Genera resos. They sound great!

The advantage of using the same skins for batter and reso : when the clear G1 on the batter side are dead or really pitted, I simply switch with the reso one and put brand new G1 on the reso side.

The advantage of using the same skins for batter and reso : when the clear G1 on the batter side are dead or really pitted, I simply switch with the reso one and put brand new G1 on the reso side.
Also, for tone & sustain, two same type heads imo are easier to tune.

The UV models use a different film then the standard g1/g2 heads, it natural speaks in a darker and slightly lower pitched sound. If you want to 'liven' them up a bit go with a clear reso. However, I suggest using the reso 7 heads. They are thinner coated reso's that cut out extra overtones without killing your drums. You will have impressively punchy but live toms with this combo that will be very easy to tune. They also will have enough projection for unmiced applications while being tame enough for a nice natural eq sound with mics. Also, coated heads top and bottom is a timeless, sexy look that compliments any drum finish.

As long as I've been playing you'd think I could give you half a dozen explanations but every....single....time I change reso's I just get clear ambs. I'm so set in my ways I bore myself.

To help DDan about his reso, it would be useful to know what reso he has on his drum at the moment. What I have found is that stock batter skins on mid-level kits are not very good, but the reso heads are even worse, really thin, really cheap, changing both (top and bottom) is expensive but will really help.
Otherwise, clear ambassador or clear G1, don't need more fuss or bling.

Last edited:
To help DDan about his reso, it would be useful to know what reso he has on his drum at the moment. What I have found is that stock batter skins on mid-level kit are not very good, but the reso heads are sometimes even worse, really thin, really cheap, changing both (top and bottom) is a expensive but will really help.
Otherwise, clear ambassador or clear G1, don't need more fuss or bling.

I've found the same about stock/factory reso's. Even higher end kits that come with decent batters usually have garbage reso's lol. Good rule of thumb- if it's got no logo of any kind it's definitely garbage, if it's only got the drum company logo and nothing else it's serviceable but definitely worth upgrading (especially for snare side heads).

Or a slightly thicker batter over a thinner reso. I do Remo CS black dot batters over a G1 reso. Tuning is awesome & resonance is off the hook!

Hi Drummers!

I just ordered the Evans UV2 tom pack (10 12 16) and a 8'' as well. I would like to have your opinions on what resonant heads i should go with to have a good match..

Thank you Drummers!!
I would Evans G1 on resonant. But if you want an deeper, warmer sound then go with the G2.

Back