Rescued !!!

john gerrard

I know that this may get long but I know how most of you like details in stories like this.

I'm playing in a new band and the bass player is playing a upright bass. I was asking him about it and he told me that he was doing some work for an elderly lady and found it in her basement in a bad state of repair. He offered to buy it and then took it and repaired it and refinished it. Now he is very proud of it. While we were talking about the bass restoration I mentioned how sad it is to see older instruments just left to dwindle away. He sheepishly put his head down and said "i know" I have a set of old Ludwig WMP drums that belong to my son stored in my well house. I yelled WHAT ! He said that his son had bought them used and quickly lost interest and he just stored them out of his way. I said Jim you have got to get them out of there. They are in cases right ? He said no. I almost cried. I told him to please get them out of there. I said If they are not ruined and if his son didn't want them that I would clean them up so that he could sell them. I have two sets now and I wasn't interested but I would clean them so he could sell them.

Well a couple days ago he called and I went to look at them. It was bad. I just couldn't believe a musician could let something just go to waste. They were covered in mold and mud and rust. But there was something there. I brought them home. I love restoring old drums and ect. I couldn't wait to start cleaning to see what I could find underneath the grime.

When I started to take them apart I first removed the heads. I couldn't believe it but I grabbed a measuring tape and checked and by some miracle they were still in round. WOW ! Then I got some all purpose cleaner and started to clean all the crud off. I mean mold, mud and just years of dust and dirt. While doing this I noticed all the seams were tight and the WMP finish was tight. How these survived in that environment is way beyond me. The crud came off. Now it took some plastic polish and began to clean. The WMP was yellowed some but that is to be expected in drums that old. I believe that they are early to mid 60's. I took every screw off of the shells and soaked them and the lugs in Dawn detergent for about 15 hours. Then I polished the lugs with NeverDull and cleaned the screws and tension rods with an old toothbrush. I also polished the rims. I believe the rims are chrome over brass. They are pitted and scratch but none the less I'll keep them. The lugs weere pitted some but are still very useable.

Slowly I realized that these were definitely keepers. I have wanted this set for years but was always worried about the condition of a kit that I couldn't take apart and inspect. I had to have them. I called my buddy and made an offer and now they are mine. They are safe and sound and in a good home.

They are 22x14, 13x9 and 16x16. I'm loving the sound. It's the sound that has been in my head since my first set of Ludwigs from a long, long time ago. I have went full circle.

Yes I did take pictures but dummy me I don't know how to post.

Well there you are. The story of my beloved Ludwigs.

That is a great find..I love these rescue stories..as for mine, I picked up an old set of Pearl wood/fiberglass stored away from an old church once for $40 and took every piece/screw apart and cleaned it.. the kicker was the snare was a LM400 in pretty good shape.

pics please!! go to manage attachments under additional options while posting, then if they are on your computer click browse, find them, and then upload.

Hyde, I hate to sound dumber than I am but where is "manage attachments" and "additional options"? I'm really anxious to be able to post on here. Thank you. John

Hyde, I hate to sound dumber than I am but where is "manage attachments" and "additional options"? I'm really anxious to be able to post on here. Thank you. John

where you came to while posting this reply, scroll down on the page. don't feel bad, I couldn't figure it out at first myself.

In the reply window scroll down to additional options and you'll see manage attachments. Or use imageshack. Get it done, we must see!

haha yes get it done!!! and if it says you attachments are too large to download here, let us know we can fix that too!

open the pic up in your computer, then go to open and use paint. when it opens in micrsoft paint, go to resize and put it 20 if its really big. then resave it. and open it up in dw forum again. if its still too big, resize another time using like 80. it sounds like a lot, its just a few clicks.

Wow, posting a picture is harder than restoring the drums. ha ha . So I opened the picture, then I went to paint the only thing I saw was a magnafying glass with a slider to increase or decrease the size. When I did that I couldn't find a way to save the smaller image. There were no numbers like a 20 to choose from. John. Don't worry I won't stop until I figure out how to post. I know how you all are. ha ha "pictures or it didn't happen" ha ha Honest it did happen and I can't wait to show them off. Just ordered the inlay strips for the bass drum rims. Also got some extra so that I can plug some of the extra holes. John

my paint has the word resize with a short cut "control-w" then the resize number thing pops up, replace the 100 with another number. try ctrl-w

The way I use:

Navigate to www.TinyPic.com.
Upload the correct picture.
Once finished click the writing to view your picture.
Copy and paste the link in the box that says it's for Forums and Messageboards.

Repeat for every picture.

That's the most failsafe way in my opinion!

-Ali.

Re: Rescued her's the pictures

Here's the pictures.

Attachments

• new ludwigs 001.JPG
    new ludwigs 001.JPG
    112.1 KB · Views: 559
  • new ludwigs 002.JPG
    new ludwigs 002.JPG
    61.1 KB · Views: 569
  • new ludwigs 003.JPG
    new ludwigs 003.JPG
    68.7 KB · Views: 564
  • new ludwigs 004.JPG
    new ludwigs 004.JPG
    63.5 KB · Views: 558
  • new ludwigs 005.JPG
    new ludwigs 005.JPG
    72.6 KB · Views: 559
  • new ludwigs 009.JPG
    new ludwigs 009.JPG
    164.2 KB · Views: 583
  • new ludwigs 010.JPG
    new ludwigs 010.JPG
    140.8 KB · Views: 561
  • new ludwigs 011.JPG
    new ludwigs 011.JPG
    117.5 KB · Views: 569
  • new ludwigs 012.JPG
    new ludwigs 012.JPG
    169.6 KB · Views: 576
  • new ludwigs 014.JPG
    new ludwigs 014.JPG
    163.7 KB · Views: 578
Gorgeous! Great rescue. Enjoy those beauties!

Really nice job on those. One thing: I think you should measure the bass drum again. Not only does it look like a 22", but I believe Ludwig put 8 lugs on their 20" kick drums. Your's has 10 lugs, which would be consistent with 22" or larger. So, unless you have some kind of one-off, I think you have a 22" kick drum.

Man those are nice ... congrats on the find and super resto

I once rescued a set of Pearl Exports I bought for $39.00 (5 piece) they had water damage but stayed in round
and the wrap stayed on,they came out well ...

But a buddy of mine was helping a guy clean out his house when they got to the attic he found an old very dusty set of drums. ...
long story short the home owner gave my friend the drums in lieu of the $75.00 he was gonna pay him for the house cleaning job
after much work they came out looking pretty nice ...

LACamco_zps293fba7c.jpg

Back