Request, comments on 18"/19" Sabian Hhxtreme crash

Sjogras

Silver Member
Im really intersted in these two, the only problem being I have nowhere near where I live to try them out in person.

What I'm looking for is exactly what I've read about these cymbals, powerful, trashy and raw. If anyone has tried this cymbal, does this video, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xxrqobBUUI do it any justice? It's not a perfect recording but it seems that this is the type of crash I'm looking for.

Thanks for any input!

That video loses a lot of top end as the compressor hits, so it's not the best example of that cymbal, but you get the gist of it.

I've only played the 18" version but really liked it for a trashy crash. Dirty, warm and biting. I have a friend who plays one along with a Saturation crash and between the two, the saturation definitely has more volume, the Xtreme is more of a mix sitter. Good for trashy accents and also for riding on. However if you want a crash that is going to explode when you hit this isn't really your guy. I'd probably go for a 20" if you want something louder.

Thanks for the reply.

Would you say that they are quiet cymbals? I'm not actually looking for volume, what I meant by "powerful" was in fact body and warmth. My biggest crash now is a xs20 18" med thin crash, which works fine in terms of volume. The 19" hhxtreme is a bit louder I assume? They will probably blend nicely.

I'm probably going with the 19", it costs the same as the 18" anyway.

Back