Reprogramming foot motion - help

schist

Silver Member
Any advice for reprogramming motions? I've somehow largely lost the ability to play slow double bass because I've gotten into the (bad) habit of using too much ankle in my right foot, and as a result it speeds up and loses control. I've been taking to playing continuous 16ths with my feet @ 100-120bpm for about 20-30 minutes just to get the correct motion going again, anyone have any other suggestions?

Keep in mind that my left foot does not have this problem, and tempos from 180+ are fine, it's just my right foot from around 120-170ish

schist

Silver Member
I noticed that it only really happens when I'm playing consecutive notes at a medium dynamic, so I started playing 16ths at 110 at a low/medium dynamic heel-up for 20 minutes, see how that goes ...

Servant

This happened to me as well. What i did was the exact same thing that you're already doing, continuos 16th at 60 through 80 bpm range, focusing on using the leg and not the ankle. I think you're already on the right track.

schist

Silver Member
This happened to me as well. What i did was the exact same thing that you're already doing, continuos 16th at 60 through 80 bpm range, focusing on using the leg and not the ankle. I think you're already on the right track.
So you reckon even slower than I am currently doing?

And that worked for you?

Servant

Yeah, because leg/leg+ankle motion happens in that range. From 90/95 bpm and up, i start using ankle and i think it's pretty normal. It has worked for me, I use different motions for different speeds correctly now. But it doesn't mean it may work for you as well...

schist

Silver Member
Yeah, because leg/leg+ankle motion happens in that range. From 90/95 bpm and up, i start using ankle and i think it's pretty normal. It has worked for me, I use different motions for different speeds correctly now. But it doesn't mean it may work for you as well...
And are you talking about 1-footed 16ths at those tempos, or 2?

DPTrainor

Yeah, SLOW way down to 60-80 bpm and motion transfers from ankle to mostly leg. Then slowly increase tempo, motion starts gradually moving from leg to more ankle. At some point, after much repetition, transition between ankle and leg motion becomes smooth and natural.

Servant

Yeah, SLOW way down to 60-80 bpm and motion transfers from ankle to mostly leg. Then slowly increase tempo, motion starts gradually moving from leg to more ankle. At some point, after much repetition, transition between ankle and leg motion becomes smooth and natural.
Yup, this.

For the sake of clarity, I was talking about straight 16th with one foot from 60-80/90 bpm range, since you told it was mainly a right foot problem only.

drumscum

I'm currently fighting the same problem. In my case it was due to years of playing with a completely wrong technique in my right foot. I quit the drums because of that reason back in 2008, but this year I picked it up again. After all those years the right foot still automatically goes into the wrong technique, and I have to work really hard to get it into shape again.

My current recipe is playing heel down 8ths at really slow tempos (60-70 bpm), using 'sticking' exercises from the Stick Control book. Slowly I can feel control and power coming back, but I still have a very long way to go. Kind of suck, but I now am doing something I never really practiced, i.e. playing precise and controlled at very slow tempos.

ronyd

Silver Member
may want to check out Colin Baileys DVD : Bass Drum Technique.

he does everything heel down. But also demonstrates heel up, etc.

his exercises in pdf format is great.

bud7h4

Silver Member
I would alternate nonstop between slow and fast singles, playing each for a single bar.

The singles' bar workout lol.