Repair 18 inch AAX xplosion

harrisal21

I have an 18 inch AAX xplosion crash that have two small cracks on the edge as shown in the picture I got for 30 bucks. What would be the best way to repair it. Cut it from crack to crack and round the edges out or cut the grooves at the 2 cracks?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191021-220844.png
    Screenshot_20191021-220844.png
    603.6 KB · Views: 7
I have an 18 inch AAX xplosion crash that have two small cracks on the edge as shown in the picture I got for 30 bucks. What would be the best way to repair it. Cut it from crack to crack and round the edges out or cut the grooves at the 2 cracks?

I agree with Az, and you should contact Sabian.

The bulk of the DIY remedies you will encounter will all be similar. They will have you arrest the propagation of the crack by drilling a hole at it's front. This will blunt the crack's front from a point to a radius. The issues you will encounter are finding the actual tip (not always obviously visible) and the introduction of additional stress when drilling. IE: You can't just use a hand-drill with a wood bit on your kitchen counter.

Contact Sabian. I think they still offer repair services.
As far as I have researched it's just warranty. I've had the cymbal for over 3-4 yrs so I'm not even sure if it'll even apply to this. But I'll give it shot contacting them.

Depending on the Sabian outcome, I’d have it cut down to a 17 in crash. Handy size.

The refresh program is cleaning and restamping. It used to also include thinning and in some cases re-hammering , but they stopped that prior to 2019.

I remembered some services were stopped but removal of edge cracks is still on there, although if they cut it down without thinning it down it may sound a little gongy.

I remembered some services were stopped but removal of edge cracks is still on there, although if they cut it down without thinning it down it may sound a little gongy.
I bet they’d thin it as part of the repair. They now have a custom shop service, so won’t thin or re-hammer as a service any longer. You’ll have to order from the custom shop. My only issue with that is if I have one cymbal that doesn’t sit well, how would I tell them I want “this” thinned out or re-hammered?

I've had edge cracks cut out of two Sabian HHX Studio crash cymbals as part of the Refresh program. It does change the sound - neither cymbal is quite as responsive as they originally were, but I still use them as my main crashes, and they still sound good - just different than they were originally.

One day I'll replace them, but that's $600ish worth of crash cymbals in just those two cymbals - I've got many other things I'd rather spend $600 on, and especially considering that it's not absolutely necessary.

I’ve dealt with them a grand total of one time. The result was good.

Use a step-bit and make holes about 1/2" diameter at the end of each crack. Next take a Dremel and cut out the section between the holes. Smooth and forget.

Reactions: TJK
I had a used cymbal I bought repaired by them, so worth calling to see if the service is still offered. 1-800-817-2242 or [email protected].
After contacting saluda cymbals I got an reply back from sabian. They still have the program. I'm just going to use them since they can redo the logo on the cymbal as well. When they repaired yours did it look like a professionally done cymbal or did they just cut the grooves at the cracks?

After contacting saluda cymbals I got an reply back from sabian. They still have the program. I'm just going to use them since they can redo the logo on the cymbal as well. When they repaired yours did it look like a professionally done cymbal or did they just cut the grooves at the cracks?
I couldn’t tell the difference between it and a brand new one. If they cut it to a 17, it’ll even be stamped as a 17” crash.

Back