Removing wrap from 28" late 50's WFL marcher

AModestRat

Made a thread about this long ago...I picked up a WFL marcher about two years ago for a good deal. Unfortunately, it's been treated terribly by the school who owned it - hoops are warped, wrap is janked up, and the rods are bent. I've got plans to make it into a bass drum for a Levon Helm styled kit, and the fact that it's mahogany is icing on the cake.

I ordered new heads, new hoops, claws and rods. The lugs are solid, which I'm thankful for. The only thing left to tackle is the wrap, which is glued down and goes into the shell itself (that's called the Ludwig hump I think?). I've heard multiple ways of taking it off - heat gun and glue, leave it out in the cold, burn it off, etc.

I plan on making this a natural finished set, so what would be the best way to tackle this? I've heard alcohol is another way to get the wrap off, I would just like to avoid damage to the outer ply.

ineedaclutch

Platinum Member
I've used a heat gun on many old Ludwigs with no problem. Imo it's easiest way to get the wrap off. I then use Jasco gel with plastic scrapers to remove the glue. Just take your time and be careful pulling the wrap off, and glove up when you are working with the Jasco.

calan

Silver Member
I've used a heat gun on many old Ludwigs with no problem. Imo it's easiest way to get the wrap off. I then use Jasco gel with plastic scrapers to remove the glue. Just take your time and be careful pulling the wrap off, and glove up when you are working with the Jasco.
Same thing I did with an old Slingerland. I don't think there's really too many options. It's going to go slow, as you can only heat up so much surface area to a pliable state at a time. If it's not coming off easily, it's not hot enough. The hotter you get it, the more glue you're going to be able to remove before you go back through with the chemical stripper. I think I made 2 passes with the stripper, and followed up with acetone to remove the stripper.

calan

Silver Member
Exactly the same. Mineral spirits to remove excess stripper and then what seems like eternity to sand.

This was one kit I did. When I got it someone had wrapped it in black and glued all the way around.
http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=139029&highlight=Jasco
An eternity? My slingerland had a satin flame wrap that left it's texture in the shell. It's still there near the bearing edges, but it gets covered by the hoops.

I eventually melted a piece of acrylic to contour to the shell to make my own sanding block.

calan

Silver Member
Dug up some pictures of the process. First pic shows the texture that was left near the edge. It was truly a penance sanding that out.