Removing Rivets on a K Custom Dark Ride

Dignan

Silver Member
I'm looking at picking up a 20" K Custom Dark Ride from someone on Craigslist. We are actually considering a trade. His K Custom Dark or K Custom Ride for my older, brilliant style K Ride. Anyway, here's the deal...his K Custom Dark Ride has rivets in it. I like the sound of it but would probably only want rivets on a secondary ride. Here are my questions as I decide if I want this...

1. How hard is it to remove rivets? Just clip them out with wire cutters or bend back the teeth and let them fall out?
2. How would the empty rivet holes effect the sound? Drier? less dry?
3. What do you think the value of a K Custom Dark ride that has had rivets installed is? I've heard installing the rivets will lower the value. It's an otherwise good condition cymbal. Just want to make an accurate estimate of value if we trade or I buy.

Thanks everyone.

1. How hard is it to remove rivets? Just clip them out with wire cutters or bend back the teeth and let them fall out?
Bend back, pop 'em out.
2. How would the empty rivet holes effect the sound? Drier? less dry?
negligible I would imagine.
3. What do you think the value of a K Custom Dark ride that has had rivets installed is? I've heard installing the rivets will lower the value. It's an otherwise good condition cymbal. Just want to make an accurate estimate of value if we trade or I buy

Simply in the eye of the beholder. Someone who hates rivets might devalue it in their mind, someone looking for a riveted cymbals might think it's worth more.

Thanks. I'm kinda torn on this. The K Custom Ride is a lot heavier sounding than I thought it would be. Almost too pingy and heavy but I worry the K Custom Dark ride will be too much the other way. Hard to tell unless I get the rivets off.

Should have asked this above but I'm going to come away with one of these two cymbals from this CL deal...

20" K Custom Ride
20" K Custom Dark Ride (has rivets in it now but I will probably remove them if I go with this)

It will be my one and only ride for the foreseeable. Given these two choices, what would people recommend? For what its worth, I don't gig (yet) and primarily practice in my basement ( i like country, alt-country, rock, fusion and am getting more and more into jazz). Both are in my possession now as I test them out. I like them each for different reasons. The K custom because it isn't so washy but it is very loud. I like the Dark for its overall sound but I worry it will be too washy. Sorry, I try not to ask a lot of these types of questions on this board but I can't make up my mind so I'm asking what others would do.

You haven't even made the deal yet and you're looking to sell the cymbal with holes? Do you already not like it?

I know I may move alot of drums in and out of my house, but cymbals I generally keep for decades. I think if you like the Custom Dark with or without the rivets, means you'll be keeping it, no?

You haven't even made the deal yet and you're looking to sell the cymbal with holes? Do you already not like it?

I know I may move alot of drums in and out of my house, but cymbals I generally keep for decades. I think if you like the Custom Dark with or without the rivets, means you'll be keeping it, no?

Sorry, I must not have been clear. Someone is buyin my brilliant finish K ride or trading for either his k custom ride or his k custom dark. If I trade for one of the customs I won't be selling it, I'll be playing it. Just trying to decide which is better to have as it will be my only ride for a while. But yes, I'm leaning towards the k custom dark.

Sorry, I must not have been clear. Someone is buyin my brilliant finish K ride or trading for either his k custom ride or his k custom dark. If I trade for one of the customs I won't be selling it, I'll be playing it. Just trying to decide which is better to have as it will be my only ride for a while. But yes, I'm leaning towards the k custom dark.

Ah. I have a K Custom Dark - I love it. It is now second to my K Light Ride, but I used the Custom Dark for a good 20 years and know it pretty much inside out. You'll like it. It's got a great vibe ;)

Ah. I have a K Custom Dark - I love it. It is now second to my K Light Ride, but I used the Custom Dark for a good 20 years and know it pretty much inside out. You'll like it. It's got a great vibe ;)

Yeah, I have the K Custom Dark Ride too. It is a great cymbal. It should work for anything...with or without rivets.

However, that cymbal can be a bit washy at times. It makes me wonder why someone would put rivets in it.

At any rate, it's the best cymbal in this whole lot that you are considering.

Bo, Brady,

Thanks for the opinions. I think I'll go with the dark. The k custom is good but maybe a bit ringy and bright for my liking to be my only ride. I would love to have both of them but two rides isn't in the budget right now.

However, that cymbal can be a bit washy at times. It makes me wonder why someone would put rivets in it.

I thought the same thing about the rivets. The owner said he bought it used like that. I'm pretty sure it's an "after market" modification . I don't believe Zildjian sells any customs with rivets in them.

I thought the same thing about the rivets. The owner said he bought it used like that. I'm pretty sure it's an "after market" modification . I don't believe Zildjian sells any customs with rivets in them.

Not that one. The K Custom Left Side Rides (designed by Peter Erskine) have a 3 rivet cluster in them, but I think that's it for that line.

Wanted to bring this thread back to ask a question. I've been playing my KC Dark Ride without the rivets ever since I got it. (Bought it used last summer with rivets and I removed them) However, I've decided I'd like a secondary rivet ride as I try to learn more and more jazz. They just sound great.

I'm considering buying a second ride and am trying to decide if I should re-rivet the KC Dark or buy something like an old Avedis ride and putting rivets in that. Does anyone have a riveted A Ride (vintage or new) with rivets? Does it sound good? Are heavy or lighter cymbals better for riveting in general?

Is putting rivets on a KC Dark sort of like putting A-1 on a great steak?

Well...

...think about Elvin Jones (and many other jazz greats) using Turkish K's with rivets. Talk about "great steak." I have a Turkish K 18" with rivets which is medium thin-ish (I've never weighed the thing, oddly enough). It does have that Elvin sound. Great with sticks or brushes. Good crash too.

You could also try a swish with rivets if your looking for an alternate ride for jazz.

Try some small nuts and bolts. Temporary that way. Put them in when you want, take them out when you want.

Try some small nuts and bolts. Temporary that way. Put them in when you want, take them out when you want.

Small nuts and bolts sound horrible. They are far too heavy to give that nice high pitched buzz that rivets provide.

As to the OP's question regarding using an "A" as a riveted cymbal. If you just need a ride with rivets occationally, this would probably be the way to go for you. Inexpensive, plentiful, and with a wide palette of timbres to choose from, the "A" would be a natural choice if you want to leave your "K" without rivets.

On the subject of rivets from the factory, you are likely right about the rivets being aftermarket, but Zildjian will add rivets to any cymbal in their line at no additional charge. So, your "K" could be original with rivets even though it is not part of the regular line.

GeeDeeEmm

Back