Removing Premier Resonator inner liners

CompactDrums

Silver Member
If you mean the inner ply of wood, I don't think you have any choice but to sand it. It's possible that heat would help un-glue it but that would affect the other plies as well. Why remove it?

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
Removing the liner is the only way to get to the screws holding on the hardware, so I'm guessing that's the reason.

I've heard of folks removing the liner, but I can't recall ever reading how. Sorry... :(

Peedy

Not so much stuck as pressed in if memory serves me. Measure the top and bottom of the outer shell wall. I think one is slightly larger meaning the inner shell is a little bit conical in shape. Press it carefully toward the thinner wall end (should be the top) and it should slide out. An hour in a freezer would probably help.

Pete

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
What a crazy idea - an inner ply so you can't get to the hardware! I wonder who the genius was that came up with that?

Woolwich

Silver Member
There’s also a link in one of the replies to a diagram in a Flickr album. I couldn’t get it to open though because Flickr is misbehaving fir me.

Woolwich

Silver Member

This is the photo from the Vintage Drum Forum, posted by JRichard, not my photo so I’m not taking credit!

Tamaefx

Silver Member
What a crazy idea - an inner ply so you can't get to the hardware! I wonder who the genius was that came up with that?
For the sake of having nothing that protrude inside the shell ! Perfectly virgin resonance chamber.
In a perfect world you should have no need to unscrew the lugs or mounts. So it’s only a problem once or twice in the life of a drum. It’s not glued anyway.
Of course this was theory and I’ve heard about Resonator drum kits sounding better without the inner liner. Without the liner they were normal shells with reinforcing rings, like the Premier Projector.

CompactDrums

Silver Member
Oh my... I had no idea.... Talk about a Solution looking for a problem....

On the plus side.... If this ever becomes popular I'll sell lot's more wrap.... for the inside... :)

Woolwich

Silver Member
Oh my... I had no idea.... Talk about a Solution looking for a problem....

On the plus side.... If this ever becomes popular I'll sell lot's more wrap.... for the inside... :)
Internally finished Resonator kits were an option. My local shop has an orphan 13” Tom in gloss yellow with gloss yellow interior, totally smooth, no screw heads or washers on view. It’s a thing of beauty, almost worth buying as a decorative piece for the house!
The Resonator concept was designed by a drum builder called Kenny Clare who sold the idea to Premier and also continued to build his own kits until relatively recently with the inner liner. I’ve never played one but as a British product, in Britain the Resonators are well known amongst Premier and vintage fans.

blinky

Internally finished Resonator kits were an option. My local shop has an orphan 13” Tom in gloss yellow with gloss yellow interior, totally smooth, no screw heads or washers on view. It’s a thing of beauty, almost worth buying as a decorative piece for the house!
The Resonator concept was designed by a drum builder called Kenny Clare who sold the idea to Premier and also continued to build his own kits until relatively recently with the inner liner. I’ve never played one but as a British product, in Britain the Resonators are well known amongst Premier and vintage fans.
I believe the builder was Alan Gilby, Kenny Clare was a drummer who might have lent his name for a Resonator kit.