Removing drums from existing tracks

Auspicious

Just tried it on and old Monk tune (60's). You get a little extra noise, but you can reduce that by adding a little bit of drums to the mix (maybe 20%). Works well enough to explore. I'll try it out on a few more tracks. $40 a year isn't bad for this type of app.
Thanks for sharing the result.

IBitePrettyHard

I tried removing the drums from a song using Moises a few weeks ago and I was blown away. It actually works! Crazy considering I got the song directly from a song rip on Youtube. The sound quality was diminished slightly, but it was still pretty good. The subscription service says it has higher quality, I wonder if that would eliminate the slight noise/garble I was hearing?

It would be cool if you could add a click track to it as well. Or is that already a feature? I didn't sign up for the subscription (yet).

organworthyplayer337

I tried removing the drums from a song using Moises a few weeks ago and I was blown away. It actually works! Crazy considering I got the song directly from a song rip on Youtube. The sound quality was diminished slightly, but it was still pretty good. The subscription service says it has higher quality, I wonder if that would eliminate the slight noise/garble I was hearing?

It would be cool if you could add a click track to it as well. Or is that already a feature? I didn't sign up for the subscription (yet).
It has a click track feature, but I am still waiting for them to improve on it. It's useable for most songs tho. I haven't found a significant difference in quality with the high quality selection (but I'm not paying that much attention while playing anyway so your mileage may vary hah). The garbling that you hear is inevitable no matter how good the software cause ultimately, it's working with a single audio file so some frequencies will be lost with the cymbals.

newoldie

Silver Member
I downloaded the free version for PC since I hate using any phone for this type of work and prefer to save everything on the PC hard drive. Works quite well, the email they send allows you to download the separate tracks for free as well. Free version limits to 5 uploads, but I'll probably do the $40 year subscribe soon.

Supernoodle

Looks like the underlying software is actually free/open source, called Spleeter. I'm hoping that there'll be a free standalone version or plugin for a DAW in the future.

Edit: there is a Spleeter version for Windows 10 (free), but I haven't tried it as my PC is not up to spec: https://makenweb.com/SpleeterGUI
Installation help is available on YT

Last edited:

Auspicious

Oh good.. I spent too much time yesterday installing Android on Linux.. so I can use Moises. Now that it's working.. I learn that there is a free version for PC here. (((((;

For those who tried Moises, with the free version, can you import a local MP3 in it that was not bought on Itune or any official online store? A mp3 encoded from my own CDs.?

@newoldie your free PC version, is it Spleeter like Supernoodle talked or it's something else?

organworthyplayer337

Oh good.. I spent too much time yesterday installing Android on Linux.. so I can use Moises. Now that it's working.. I learn that there is a free version for PC here. (((((;

For those who tried Moises, with the free version, can you import a local MP3 in it that was not bought on Itune or any official online store? A mp3 encoded from my own CDs.?

@newoldie your free PC version, is it Spleeter like Supernoodle talked or it's something else?
Yep, that's actually what I use it for the most. Old rehearsal mp3 files straight from the files app on my phone.

Just downloaded. Working flawlessly with some Michel Camilo. Thanks for sharing this. Game changing!

Auspicious

Yep, that's actually what I use it for the most. Old rehearsal mp3 files straight from the files app on my phone.
Ok ok good news for later.

I took a different path of trying the Spleeter application instead, on Microsoft Windows 10.. This morning I installed windows, now I am in the process of installing Spleeter, fairly complicated to install for a Windows application.

Hopefully by the end of the day, it should work and i'll start processing some Mp3s to remove all of these drum tracks. :love:

(And in total privacy too)

Auspicious

Looks like the underlying software is actually free/open source, called Spleeter. I'm hoping that there'll be a free standalone version or plugin for a DAW in the future.

Edit: there is a Spleeter version for Windows 10 (free), but I haven't tried it as my PC is not up to spec: https://makenweb.com/SpleeterGUI
Installation help is available on YT

Oh Ho! success here! with Spleeter, I had to install the version 2.7 (instead of the latest 2.9, which is not working for me) along with Microsoft Visual C++.

I tried it with a tune from Bill Evans.. Paul Motian was removed from the trio, not bad :). I think it's going to be useful but it's a shame that the latest version is not working..

Thanks for the suggestion SuperNoodle! 100% free solution apparently, (minus spying Google)

I paid for the premium version and have been using it for a few days. It's not perfect, but it definitely works.
It's good for practicing trading fours. The drums mostly disappear for four bars during the drum solo, there's definitely noise when the rest of the band comes back in, but it resolves soon enough, and you can tell how on time you are.
Before I got this app, I was manually removing the drum solos by muting those four bars completely (using Garage Band). It's tedious work, and this app serves the same purpose.

Last edited:

Auspicious

I tried to play against an album of Bill Evans yesterday (Explorations) with drums removed and.. I didn't really liked it mainly because Lafaro.. he don't really keep a steady time in his long bass solos. Without Motian's hi-hats or other time keeping method, it's kind of difficult to keep time during the bass solos.

Even Bill Evans has a strange time keeping strategy.

I am glad for them they had a drummer :ROFLMAO:

someguy01

I tried to play against an album of Bill Evans yesterday (Explorations) with drums removed and.. I didn't really liked it mainly because Lafaro.. he don't really keep a steady time in his long bass solos. Without Motian's hi-hats or other time keeping method, it's kind of difficult to keep time during the bass solos.

Even Bill Evans has a strange time keeping strategy.

I am glad for them they had a drummer :ROFLMAO:
Yeah, the Bill Evans trio can be difficult to play along with(as opposed to the hard-bop staples: Mobley, Blakey, etc). And it probably doesn't help that some of his frequencies are probably bleeding into the "drum track" and getting muted.

WallyY

Platinum Member
The app called Let's Unmix does the same thing for a one time fee of $4.99 but the sound quality is only slightly better with Moises. The separation is almost identical but It sounds like Moises has a bit more compression.
Moises has a metronome but Let's Unmix does not. Let's Unmix can do a count off before the song starts.