Removing cymbal logos safely!

Pass.of.E.r.a.

Gold Member
Hey all! So I'm no longer interested in looking at the big ugly emblems on my pies (other than the "K" logo on my hats. I love that one so much). I've cleaned my cymbals in the past but it's never come close to removing them...

Suggestions?

-Jonathan

opentune

Platinum Member
Acetone, apply liberally, on towels or rags.
I dont; recommend this - lowers teh resale value of the cymbal (i.e. a buyer will wonder if its really a "K"....) But you likely thought of that already.

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
~When you remove the logos from modern cymbals you remove the factory clear coat.~

Products like GoofOff will remove the logos. So will paint removing solvents.
The cymbals will then be like vintage cymbals and they will tarnish and develop a patina.
You will have to treat the entire cymbal with the solvent that you decide to use so that it looks consistent. If you just apply the solvent to the logo area then the cymbal will tarnish in that area only.
As long as you understand that then go ahead and remove the logos.

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
I swear, any product that claims it doesn't remove logos always seems to make the lightest work of it. Branded cymbal cleaners from the major companies being the guiltiest of culprits.

Pass.of.E.r.a.

Gold Member
I swear, any product that claims it doesn't remove logos always seems to make the lightest work of it. Branded cymbal cleaners from the major companies being the guiltiest of culprits.
Haha! I've found that when polished/cleaned they'd begin to fade on the dirtiest cymbals that required damn near half a bottle to clean!! I've only ever cleaned my cymbals once - over 4 years ago which might have had something to do with that...

Perhaps I'll scrub extra hard on the new cymbals and hope they come off! I absolutely hate the emblems on my SR2s and would like everything to match.

-Jonathan

Pass.of.E.r.a.

Gold Member
Also in regards to resale value any cymbals that don't break and last long enough to be resold typically end up being favourites in my collection. Out of the 15 or so cymbals I have there are only two that I'd consider getting rid of, and none of them are about to lose their logo!

So anyone interested in an 18" Sabian Signature Saturation crash give me a shout!

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
Toothpaste (not one with grit in it) and a nylon scrub brush (nylon won't scratch the cymbal). Unlike acetone it isn't caustic and shouldn't remove the clear coat. Also, toothpaste is a base, not an acid, so it should not cause oxidation to the bronze either. And use cold water. Hot water will open your pores and the toothpaste will burn like fire on your hands.

jspitza

91% IPA or Isapropyl Alcohol rubbed on the ink and its gone! Poof!! Also, the ipa should not bother any clear coat. Both Target and pharmacies carry this.

Skulmoski

Gold Member
Acetone, apply liberally, on towels or rags.
I dont; recommend this - lowers teh resale value of the cymbal (i.e. a buyer will wonder if its really a "K"....) But you likely thought of that already.
I too don't like cymbal logos and removed them from my cymbals. Acetone worked well for me. I would recommend wearing protective goggles and gloves. Acetone is a hazardous material.

GJS

Pass.of.E.r.a.

Gold Member
I too don't like cymbal logos and removed them from my cymbals. Acetone worked well for me. I would recommend wearing protective goggles and gloves. Acetone is a hazardous material.

GJS
would acetone be one of the cleaning agents that would remove the cymbal finish too? I'd prefer not to do that.

-Jonathan

The Black Page Dude

Not sure if Zildjian does the same as Sabian, but at the Sabian factory you can special order cymbals that sound like, for example, K hats or a RUDE ride. As far as I know you can also ask for no logo to be put on the cymbal. Costs a little more but not much.

In the spirit of competition, perhaps Zildjian offers this service too if that is your "brand" of choice.

TColumbia37

Silver Member
I actually did this last week. I used Bar Keepers Friend liquid. I spread a light coat over the entire cymbal, let it sit for a few minutes, and then wiped it off, rinsed it off and dried it. My cymbals have never looked so beautiful.

It says not to leave it on for more than a minute, but that wasn't long enough for it to take the logo off.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
would acetone be one of the cleaning agents that would remove the cymbal finish too? I'd prefer not to do that.

-Jonathan
Being that it is a solvent, there is a good chance. The Isopropyl Alcohol is a good suggestion. It has a neutral pH like water, so it is neither an acid or base, therefore it shouldn't affect the sealant on the cymbal.