Removing Black Spots!

bodhran

I have a 90s Rocker Chrome over wood snare drum. I think it's an LR751.
I've got several black spots of varying sizes on the wrap (see pic).
Any suggestions on how to get those out? I've already tried Brasso to no avail.
Is there a plastic coating over the chrome?

Any advice is appreciated! Thanks!

Attachments

• LR751.jpg
    LR751.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 29
If that wrap is real metal (try a magnet) and not plastic, what you are seeing is simple corrosion. If the wrap is metal, you can use #0000 steel wool to very lightly burnish it away. (I know, I know - several people are pulling out their hair right now yelling, "Don't use steel wool!" But if you use caution and don't get heavy-handed, you can remove the corrosion quite easily without scratching the shell significantly. At this point, what do you have to lose? You are fighting rust, after all. Not to mention that using Coke and a wad of aluminum foil somehow makes me squirm like nails on a blackboard. Eeeeeeeeeek!) Go ahead and disassemble the whole snare and clean everything else while you're at it.

To stop the rust from returning (believe me, I've tried this and it works), simply dip your finger in some heavy axle grease and rub it vigorously into the rust spots, then wipe off the excess with a cotton cloth. Don't work too hard at this. The idea is to clean off the excess grease while leaving enough behind - just a film - to stop the rust. And it will not come off on your clothes.

Alternatively, there are a number of chemical rust treatments that will stop it dead in its tracks, but these compounds usually blacken the rusted area.

It's likely that subsequent posters may have even better ideas than mine, but this is how I've done it with success in the past. I'd love to hear of alternatives, too.

GeeDeeEmm

The 0000 has always worked for me as well. You have to go lightly with it and don't think of using any kind of power tool. Just do it by hand and take your time with it. I usually put some cleaner wax on the steel wool to bring back the shine and to protect the finish. Meguiar's usually does a great job. After that just come back and buff it with a chamois cloth every 6 months or so. I do this with all of my chrome plated equipment.

If it's real chrome and not a fake chrome wrap, I think the Brasso didn't work because the chrome has been completely eaten through by the corrosion.

I do have an idea that might work. Has anyone tried chrome nail polish before? I know different colors are sometimes used to touch up nicks in lacquer finish. Maybe it'll touch up the chrome?

I had a (not Ludwig) chrome kit a long time ago. The "chrome" was a thin silver foil under a clear wrap. If it's like that, it needs to be cleaned as a wrap.

If it's real chrome, ball up some aluminum foil. Dip the ball in warm water and scrub. There is a chemical reaction that happens between the chrome and foil that turns the water into a white paste. The paste will clean the chrome, makes it nice and shiny. And since chrome is harder than the aluminum foil, it doesn't scratch either. Just use a damp rag to wipe the paste off then dry with a towel. Easy peasy.

I had a (not Ludwig) chrome kit a long time ago. The "chrome" was a thin silver foil under a clear wrap. If it's like that, it needs to be cleaned as a wrap.

If it's real chrome, ball up some aluminum foil. Dip the ball in warm water and scrub. There is a chemical reaction that happens between the chrome and foil that turns the water into a white paste. The paste will clean the chrome, makes it nice and shiny. And since chrome is harder than the aluminum foil, it doesn't scratch either. Just use a damp rag to wipe the paste off then dry with a towel. Easy peasy.

I've used the foil before, it works pretty well. But be careful. You'll find out FAST if it's not actually real chrome.

Hi Bodhran. Try Renew Rx Chrome Polish & Rust Remover by Turtle Wax. You can find in any auto store. IMP works some what better than #0000 steel wool.

Last edited:
Paradiddle Pete and MrInsanePolak are absolutely correct. I've used aluminum foil to clean chrome hoops, lugs, etc for years instead of chemicals and boy oh boy does it work. BTW, you don't need a big ball of fil, and for intricate places just take a square of foil and fold it a few times.

Paradiddle Pete and MrInsanePolak are absolutely correct. I've used aluminum foil to clean chrome hoops, lugs, etc for years instead of chemicals and boy oh boy does it work. BTW, you don't need a big ball of fil, and for intricate places just take a square of foil and fold it a few times.
Hmmm . . . . I guess I'm going to have to give in and try the foil thing. We'll see.

GeeDeeEmm

Back