Removable double tom holder/ mount?

Stickman

Silver Member
Was I seeing things or does this really exist? A while back I was looking at DW Collectors online and I swore I saw pictures of a virgin kick and another picture of the same kick with a double mount on it. Then a 3rd pic of just the tom mount hardware lying on the floor. It looked like a big metal plate that somehow fastened onto the kick without screws. I didn't think much of it at the time.. but when I went back to find it online through searches .. I came up empty. Does such a thing exist?

I put one on mine. The mounting plate stays on the drum, and like MusiQmaN said, it attaches with 4 small screws, so you do have to drill 4 holes into the drum for the screws to pass through. DW has a template for it. It was a bit stressful taking a drill to the drum, but I measured many times before going to work and it came out great. I'm glad I did it.
IMG_1164.jpg

it attaches with 4 small screws, so you do have to drill 4 holes into the drum for the screws to pass through.

So, you wouldn't technically have a virgin kick once you've prepped if for the mount. While small holes aren't really a visibilty issue, they do become a bargaining chip for the eventual buyer.

So, you wouldn't technically have a virgin kick once you've prepped if for the mount. While small holes aren't really a visibilty issue, they do become a bargaining chip for the eventual buyer.
You're right, it could hurt resale value, unless I find a buyer that wants the tom mount. But I was willing to accept that, as I planned on keeping these drums for a long time.

I put one on mine. The mounting plate stays on the drum, and like MusiQmaN said, it attaches with 4 small screws, so you do have to drill 4 holes into the drum for the screws to pass through. DW has a template for it. It was a bit stressful taking a drill to the drum, but I measured many times before going to work and it came out great. I'm glad I did it.
View attachment 90574
So the bracket just slides out when you want to put it in a case? Are there any issues with it scratching the wrap or the hoops when you remove it?

Also, is it as heavy and bulky as it looks, or is it not much heavier than a standard bass drum mount?

So the bracket just slides out when you want to put it in a case? Are there any issues with it scratching the wrap or the hoops when you remove it?

Also, is it as heavy and bulky as it looks, or is it not much heavier than a standard bass drum mount?
Right, the tom holder itself slides into the rail that is permanently mounted to the bass drum. You slide it out when you want to put the drum in its case. I also have a single-tom version of the same mount, which is a bit lighter. Like most hardware made by DW, it is very solid and could be used as a weapon if you were so inclined. Quite heavy and sturdy. The top part is the same as what is used on the DW9000 double tom stand, but with a very short tube. The height is adjustable and has a memory lock, and then of course you can move it fore/aft on the rail. A great piece of hardware, imo.

It’s a heavy mfr, I bet you could hold a Chevy

It's a great piece of hardware, but it weighs as much as a boat anchor. I've read a number of complaints about it not adjusting low enough.

I own a copy of it from Slingerland, and I removed it because of the height issue. If low height is not an issue, you will probably like it.

GeeDeeEmm

Yes.. that's the thing that was cool about it.. for resale value.. In the picture I saw, the guy showed it with the mount on and off.. and maybe the holes were just not visible on the sparkle finish.. although I did take a close look at the picture.
I've been trying the toms mounted from cymbal stands thing on a virgin kick - and although stable enough - I find they are a beast to setup. The cymbal positioning combined with the tom positioning (even with memory lock) is just killing me. My next time out - I'm just going to bring separate cymbal stands and tom stands.. but if that's still too much loading.. I might consider firing up that drill!

Back