Remote Cable Hi-Hat Stands

cbphoto

Diamond Member
If anyone currently uses a remote cable hat, please tell me/us what the upsides & downsides are (e.g., the cable frequently gets kinked, a sluggish feel, etc.).

I’m considering investing in the Tama HH905RH, but it’s not cheap, so I’m hoping to get some insights into this bit of kit.

19.png

I use a DW 9000 remote that I like a lot.... being able to place the hats/pedal wherever you want, independent of the pedal is huge

The only downsides I have is that it does seem a little mushy/slower to react than a regular stand (but you get used to it, I only notice when I use a regular stand that it reacts quicker) and at least for the 9000, I can't adjust the pedal angle.

CJ

I use a DW 9000 remote that I like a lot....

How long is the cable?
Does it get in the way, or is it a bit of a pain routing it?

How long is the cable?
Does it get in the way, or is it a bit of a pain routing it?

DW offers several lengths of cable to choose from.

CB, I'm teetering as well on purchasing the new HH905RH. For me, the decision leans much more on simply wanting one more so than really needing one. I currently use a MXA73N for my auxiliary hat.

CB, I'm teetering as well on purchasing the new HH905RH. For me, the decision leans much more on simply wanting one more so than really needing one. I currently use a MXA73N for my auxiliary hat.

I’ve been using the earlier version of the Tama MXA73N (it has two positions, closed and closed-but-loose) and like it, but am curious about the cable hat. It’s more stuff, and a cable that crosses through/around the kit, which seems fussy.

Bill Bruford used one and placed his hats directly in front of the snare, and got some great rhythms out of the setup.

https://youtu.be/-iUWq1t3dyY

Talk about fussy, a few nights ago I attended a solo Terry Bozzio performance. He had cables running all over his drum kit and strewn about. His kit included several hi-hats, placed at various locations well out of arms reach, with a mixture of large cymbals & roto-tom rings attached.

I find my DW9000 a little sluggish, but I've a long cable on it which I have to loop around a bit. I've a short one on order, but it's on a 4 month back order to the UK!!! Hoping the shorter cable improves the response.

I find my DW9000 a little sluggish, but I've a long cable on it which I have to loop around a bit. I've a short one on order, but it's on a 4 month back order to the UK!!! Hoping the shorter cable improves the response.

I had a cable especially made at a very short length - it didn't alleviate the lag at all for me. Sold the whole thing soon after.
You can learn to adapt to said lag but if you compare it to a standard direct pull I think you will always notice a difference in feel.

I use a DW 9000 remote that I like a lot.... being able to place the hats/pedal wherever you want, independent of the pedal is huge

The only downsides I have is that it does seem a little mushy/slower to react than a regular stand (but you get used to it, I only notice when I use a regular stand that it reacts quicker) and at least for the 9000, I can't adjust the pedal angle.CJ

I also have the DW 9000 and love having it on the right rather than left because I don't like playing the snare with my right arm in the way. I do find the 9000 a bit sluggish and I too wish there was a way to adjust the pedal angle. BUT....again it's cool to be able to move the hats around, AND after a while you do get used to the sluggishness. JW

Back