Remo's Coating.......Inconsistent?

vyacheslav

Hello,

I have been really liking the Evans UV1 heads for awhile. I like Remo Coated Ambassadors too and it was a "go-to" head for me for years. However, the reason I "strayed" over to Evans was because that I found that Remo's coating was wildly inconsistent. Some coating was nice and rough and consistent and even across the head and was pure white. Others were more off white and were basically smooth. I also noticed that over the years the coating has gotten less and less durable and doesn't last nearly as long as it once did.

Has Remo's consistency (in regards to coating) gotten more consistent and/or more durable? Again, I like Remo and their products, I'm just looking to see if their coating process has improved.

Thanks,

V

Al Strange

Hello,

I have been really liking the Evans UV1 heads for awhile. I like Remo Coated Ambassadors too and it was a "go-to" head for me for years. However, the reason I "strayed" over to Evans was because that I found that Remo's coating was wildly inconsistent. Some coating was nice and rough and consistent and even across the head and was pure white. Others were more off white and were basically smooth. I also noticed that over the years the coating has gotten less and less durable and doesn't last nearly as long as it once did.

Has Remo's consistency (in regards to coating) gotten more consistent and/or more durable? Again, I like Remo and their products, I'm just looking to see if their coating process has improved.

Thanks,

V
I’ve played Remo for as long as I can remember, and can’t say I’ve noticed any major inconsistencies. Having said that, just lately I’ve found myself branching out...out of curiosity I swapped my coated Ambassador for an Aquarian Performance II on one of my metal snares and absolutely love it... I’ve also switched to Evans for my bass drums and Tom reso’s safe in the knowledge I still have a good supply of Remo heads if I need them... (y) 🤔

It was pretty bad about 10 years ago but I have a few coated heads right now that I bought 2 years ago (P77 and Powerstroke X) and the coating on those is great. Very durable, just as good as the Evans coated G2s that I've used in the past.

I never had issues with my remo coating over 40 years. It gets smoother after a while, probably sooner than other brands, what makes brush sweeping a bit softer. But a see-through center would hardly ever occur befor I swap the head anyway.
I typically use Ambassador, Emperor and Reverse Dot models on most drums, they all work fine.