Remo vs Evans

Bigdumbdrums

Yeah, I know, this has been beaten to death (pun intended, sorry). But here's a very real world comparison of Remo and Evans heads and the difference in durability when it comes to their coatings.

I tried the Remo Coated Controlled Reverse Dot head for the first time. After 1 gig (2.5 hours of playing):

I then tried the Evans UV1 head and after 3 gigs (totally over 7 hours of playing):

The Evans head has almost no sticks marks or signs of wear at all!!! The Remo coating literally started separating from the head itself.

I'm not endorsed by Evans. I'm actually a Remo fan and love their Powerstrokes on my kicks and use their heads on toms but damn, this is pretty crystal clear that Evans is doing something way more right when it comes to manufacturing drum heads. I'm now about 50/50 Remo and Evans across all my drums and trending more and more towards Evans.

Midnite Zephyr

Platinum Member
I get the same results you had with Evans using Aquarian Texture Coated and Attack Medium Coated also. So the problem clearly lies with Remo. I prefer Remo for tom batters, but I stopped using coated Ambassador awhile ago for this very reason.

toddbishop

Platinum Member
Don't know what's going on there. Traditionally Evans heads have been regarded as the less durable of the two brands, and that's been my experience. I've never had a Remo head look like that.

Bigdumbdrums

Don't know what's going on there. Traditionally Evans heads have been regarded as the less durable of the two brands, and that's been my experience. I've never had a Remo head look like that.
Yeah I'm hoping this is just an anomaly that got past Remo QA. I like the coated ambassadors a lot and they hold up well. Perhaps this is just a one time thing but it might make me stop and think before buying a new Remo Controlled Dot next time.

Wave Deckel

Gold Member
The coated Amassadors on some of my snares have been used for months now, some even for years. And they still look good. Emperor Coated is a complelty different thing. Coating comes off way too fast IMO. Thus I am switching to Evans more and more - although I never wanted to and especially love the coatings "roughness" for brushwork. But something with Remos coating on most heads (except the Ambas) is apparently going wrong since some time. They used to be better. It's weird. My Evans G2 look like new even after months of drumming.

Stroman

Platinum Member
I haven't had serious issues with either company's coatings. Evans heads do stretch out and wear out faster in my experience, though. I've had two reverse dot heads that stretched so much I could no longer get good cross stick rim clicks. (The shoulder of the stick would hit the head before the shaft met the rim) On the positive side, Ben sent me a replacement. On the negative side, the same thing happened with the replacement.

Sound and durability come first, for me.

JosephDAqui

Silver Member
The coated Amassadors on some of my snares have been used for months now, some even for years. And they still look good. Emperor Coated is a complelty different thing. Coating comes off way too fast IMO. Thus I am switching to Evans more and more - although I never wanted to and especially love the coatings "roughness" for brushwork. But something with Remos coating on most heads (except the Ambas) is apparently going wrong since some time. They used to be better. It's weird. My Evans G2 look like new even after months of drumming.
I can attest to the exact same thing, i was a remo guys for many years. Amassadors were ok, but I got tired of the emperor coating coming off quickly, seam issues, and the detuning issues - just like you said, it's all been happening for some time.

I have yet to have issues since I switched to Evans several months ago. Now everything I have is using G2 coated or clear, Glass resos and Emad 1's on kicks.

kanefsky

Remo White Suede (Ambassador or Emperor) is a solution if you want to stick (pun intended :) ) with Remo. They're a lot like coated but it's really more of a texture than a coating so it never comes off.

--
Steve

M

Matt Bo Eder

I've said this a few times before, but my experience with Evans has been, yes, they look great and don't appear to be wearing down at all. But unlike Remo heads, when the tone starts to go, there's literally no warning and the head will just go dead. With Remo, I know they'll keep singing well beyond the time the coating started to come off.

So I'm partial to Remo, and have basically grown up with those my whole life. And being in SoCal, there's no shortage of places that have Remo heads, and they tend to be a little cheaper because they're everywhere around here.

But when both brands are new, they're both great.

Being a piano technician and percussionist there are many companies putting out many great AND terrible products. Also, take into account that one drumhead (example: Evans G1 13" tom) will "live" differently than another one of the same kind (Evans G1 13" tom). I judge more based on individual product than I do company. Also, I purchase based off of what a company can offer me (which means I don't believe in endorsements, because when one company fails me then I can easily head to another company that will give me what I ask). Sometimes Remo will have a head that I need that Evans doesn't. Sometimes Evans will have a head that I need that Remo doesn't. Sometimes neither will have a head I need so I'll head over to Aquarian. And sometimes none of them will have what I need so I'll think of using calfskin...then that provides a battle within itself...do I choose Stern Tanning or Earthtone. Stern will provide where Earthtone doesn't and vice versa.

Slowly I'm heading to using all calfskin though as it feels and sounds better to me. I can't stand the papery feel and sound of plastic no matter what thickness, diameter, or special innovation like coating, muffling ring, dry vents, power dot, ink ring, etc. I can get all those sounds easily with a calfskin head, cloth material, and binder clips, and maybe even a spray bottle.

But, when it comes to plastic heads I choose whatever is the best innovation at the time. Since Evans has been going good with the 360 technology I choose them over Remo. Since Aquarian provides a thin bass drum resonant head with 1. felt muffling closer to the center of the head 2. porthole in the center of the head I choose that head for bass drum in certain situations. Although, I don't think I've ever purchased a Remo head. I haven't found one that I need.

AudioWonderland

Silver Member
I've said this a few times before, but my experience with Evans has been, yes, they look great and don't appear to be wearing down at all. But unlike Remo heads, when the tone starts to go, there's literally no warning and the head will just go dead. With Remo, I know they'll keep singing well beyond the time the coating started to come off.

So I'm partial to Remo, and have basically grown up with those my whole life. And being in SoCal, there's no shortage of places that have Remo heads, and they tend to be a little cheaper because they're everywhere around here.

But when both brands are new, they're both great.
The coating starts coming off a remo 30 minures after you put it on. It's no measure of when it's going dead.

Mongrel

Silver Member
From the "probably not qualified to even comment" file...

I have no idea of how quickly the coating on my Ambassadors starts to come off-hours, days, weeks... I do know when they start to go dead and to resist tuning.

I use the Ambassador on my snare drum because I like the tone and because I like the brush response....

Which leads me to my "comment". For me it really doesn't matter if the coating wears off because it only wears off towards the center of the drum and I really only need the coating outside of the center for brushwork and for tone. As long as the head is responsive to the hits I don't find it to be a problem. In fact, the way the head wears actually contributes to a better sound for some of my needs...

Stroman

Platinum Member
The coating starts coming off a remo 30 minures after you put it on. It's no measure of when it's going dead.
That may be your experience, but it's totally inaccurate in my experience.

I can't tell you what the difference is - strike angle, tip material, weather, voodoo, the way you hold your mouth - but it simply doesn't happen to the Remos I use. And I use probably 95% coated Remos.

alparrott

Platinum Member
That may be your experience, but it's totally inaccurate in my experience.

I can't tell you what the difference is - strike angle, tip material, weather, voodoo, the way you hold your mouth - but it simply doesn't happen to the Remos I use. And I use probably 95% coated Remos.
And neither do I experience coating issues with the Evans heads I use. The only Evans heads I've ever used that have had coating flake off is an older Power Center head with the dot on top. The coating flaked off around the perimeter of the dot after over a year of playing.

I have used G1s, G2s, Genera Drys, STs, ST Drys, EC2 Coateds, and Power Center Reverse Dots, and have not encountered any issue with coating coming off.

On the other hand, neither can I remember having much issue with Remo coating back when I used their heads.

So maybe it's not the company or the coating at all...? I mean, I don't caress the drums, I whack the bejeebers out of them. I do plenty of drags, rolls, and ghost notes. I tend to dig into my toms.

I do tend to toss any stick that gets damaged at the tip. Maybe that has a thing to do with a thing.

kanefsky

Do we have a difference in terminology perhaps? Let's forget about the coating completely coming off for a moment. If I play a brand new Remo Controlled Sound head (like the one pictured) for just a few minutes it will show lots of very visible stick marks in the coating. If I play a brand new coated Evans head for the same amount of time you wouldn't even be able to tell it had been touched.

Remo white suede heads don't have the same issue, which is why I switched to those. They will get a little shinier over time in areas where the sticks tend to hit, but it's very subtle compared to what happens with the coated heads. Also I believe that the Vintage Remo heads have a white plastic base versus clear for the regular coated heads, so issues with the coating are not as apparent.

--
Steve

KamaK

Platinum Member
I get a fair amount of coating flake on my snare heads and more often than not, it only occurs when I'm using chipped wooden tip sticks.

While I'm not really going to disagree with anyone over which brand has better coating, I will say that I'll be thoroughly unconvinced till I see the tips of the sticks included in the photo.

opentune

Platinum Member
i dont really care what mt heads look like while being used. " oh thats staying so nice white and clean' is not important to me. what is is the sound. on a snare an Amb holds its tone much longer and better. I am convinced its nice tone is the type and quality of the mylar. An Evans head is nice and clean but as noted when it goes dead it IS dead in a hurry. I agree for brushwork yes you need some coat.

Juniper

Gold Member
Weird, I've had the same type Remo Coated Controlled Reverse Dot head on my gigging snare the last couple of years and there no problems whatsoever.

I guess sometimes you unfortunately get a dud head.