Remo Vintage Emperor Coated

My brand new Ludwig Classic Maples just got fitted with these heads. Loved the sound of the kit with the clear emp's on them but love 'em even more now.

Meter man

Hey Jamie, Welcome to Drummerworld. I too recently purchased a Classic Maple set. I threw coated Emp's on the toms and they sound so good. You gotta post a pic of your new set when you get a chance.

Trip McNealy

Gold Member
Vintage Emp's go wonderfully on the Ludwigs. I'm currently using Evans right now but I am still using the Vintage Emp on my Supraphonic snare.

gdmoore28

Gold Member
On the batter side I use coated Vintage Ambassadors on my snare drums and rack toms, I use coated Vintage Emperors on my floor toms, I really like this combination. On the resonant side I'm using regular coated Ambassadors on all rack and floor toms. The kit is a brand new Gretsch USA Custom.
That's the combo I've ended up using, too, but with single-ply clears on the reso. The coated Ambassadors on ride tom batters really define the tone of those drums, while the Emperors on the floor tom batters aid in accentuating the low end. The intervals work out just right in my case.

GeeDeeEmm

Stroman

Platinum Member
1 mil in thickness. Regular Emperor is 2 plies of 7 mil, and Vintage Emperor is 2 plies of 7.5 mil
I would add that the polyester film used is different, too. Whatever they use in the Vintage Emps has a darker, warmer sound IME. They were my absolute favorites for quite a while. I could easily go back to them and be happy.

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
Different film for sure. Modern Emperors have a water-clear film, but the Vintage Emperors have that milky, slightly hazy film they used to use on almost everything. I really like the Vintage Emperor because they have a really warm, round tone that I don't quite hear in the regular Emperor.

cdrums21

Gold Member
My hope/wish is that Remo would use the 10 ml film that they make the coated ambassador with and get some of that same film in 7 ml and create a new emperor. That opaque film has something special about it in sound quality, plus the coating seems to adhere better to that film.

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
My hope/wish is that Remo would use the 10 ml film that they make the coated ambassador with and get some of that same film in 7 ml and create a new emperor. That opaque film has something special about it in sound quality, plus the coating seems to adhere better to that film.
So, you mean a coated smooth white Emperor? I believe Remo already makes that head, or did in the past. If it isn't a current production item they still might make them for you as a special order.

cdrums21

Gold Member
So, you mean a coated smooth white Emperor? I believe Remo already makes that head, or did in the past. If it isn't a current production item they still might make them for you as a special order.
The heads you are referring to are 2 plies of 7.5 mil. Years ago, early 80's, coated emperors were not clear. They had an opaque film and sounded better. Then they started making them with clear film and they didn't sound quite as good IMO, nor did the coating adhere as well.. The vintage emperor seems to be closer to the correct film, but it too is 2 plies of 7.5 mil film. I'd like to see the standard coated emperor being made with the 7 mil opaque film again. You wouldn't think it would make much of a difference, but the different film and extra .5 mil of thickness definitely does.

Last edited: