Remo Silentstrokes on resonate side?

StativeQuill

Hey fellow drummers.
A while back I moved into a condo and I’ve wanted to get my old drum set out of my old storage unit and get it into my new condo. I would keep using my old storage unit but it’s way to far from my new condo, and their is just way to much stuff in there and makes me uncomfortable every time I sit down to play. So I want to get some L80’s and Silentstroke heads. My friend let me play his kit with Silentstrokes and L80’s on it, and I thought they were really nice.
The problem is the Silentstroke heads are just way to bouncy. So I was wondering if you could put the Silentstrokes on the resonate side of the drums and not the batter side. So that way your playing an actual drum head, but since the Silentstrokes are still on the drum, so it’s still quiet. I know this is probably a stupid question to ask and it probably won’t work, but I just wanted to know if it was possible.
Thanks.

No way. A silentstroke on the resonant side essentially makes the drum a concert tom, and concert toms are just as loud as a two-headed drum, and are usually perceived as being even louder since their sound is so direct.

I'm with Bo and Winston on this one. A Silentstroke resonant would have a Peter Criss effect. Nothing silent about that. "Detroit Rock City" might sound pretty good, however.

If you want to reduce bounce, try an O-ring on them. I put one on my snare to reduce noise (i have the bottom head and snare wires on for more real feel and sound) and i noticed reduced bounce.

New product.

Don't know how well it works, but from how simple it is, it should be a lot cheaper than other options.

The problem is the Silentstroke heads are just way to bouncy.
Thanks.
You might consider Silentstroke heads for just the toms since they do a good job muting.
For a more realistic snare rebound, try a practice pad on top with either the snares on or off. I use an Aquarian Superpad which keeps the volume down while allowing a more realistic rebound and enough snare articulation to come through.
For the bass drum, the Silentstroke was also too bouncy. By taking off the resonant head, stuffing a blanket inside and taping microfiber cloth on the PS3 batter head, the volume stays low while allowing a realistic rebound. Using moleskin as the impact pad softens the beater head itself.

You should try loosening the silentstroke head until it feels less bouncy. You don't have to tighten them up like a normal head. The bottom head is there to vibrate just a little bit to give a sense of tone (you can tune the toms to get a good interval).

Like newolide said, the silentstroke might not be the best for a snare head. I've found that an RTOM Black Hole works best on a snare, since it can be adjust for feel but also has rubber around the edge so if you accidentally hit a rimshot.

Back