Remo silentstroke and Evans soundoff mesh heads: the feel??

pt3407

I’m thinking of getting Evans soundoff mesh heads Or Remo silentstroke heads. But I’m wondering about the feel. Is it possible to get a feel to that of a real drumhead? The feel and rebound component is really important as I want what I play on these heads to be transferable to a real drum kit with no issues.

AudioWonderland

Silver Member
I didn't mind the feel at all when I tried them. Not identical but close enough. I was more concerned about the course texture of the material rounding off my bearing edges.

newoldie

Silver Member
I've never tried the Evans heads.
But the Remo Silents were so bouncy I took it off my snare and replaced it by putting an Aquarian Superpad on top of the snare instead for a more realistic feel with some remnant snare sound (or if snare wires off, even quieter).
Bass drum- ridiculously bouncy so I took it off, put back on the PS3 batter, muffled it with taped on microfiber cloths to keep the real feel.
Toms- Kept on Silents since rebound feel isn't as important as snare/bass.

Seafroggys

Silver Member
Silent stroke is bouncy, but feels more like a drum than a pad. Try a looser tension on the snare than you would normally have to get it close.

opentune

Platinum Member
Both Soundoffs and Silenstrokes are equally bouncy, and you definitely have to back off on tension. If you need some 'weight' to the head can use felt strip underneath. But these are substitutes....I would not expect the feel of a real head...without a real head. I think these are all great inventions, especially for all the drummers stuck inside a lot these days.

Last edited:

Hollywood Jim

Platinum Member
I tried Silentstrokes. Too bouncy for me. Not like real drums at all. But they are quiet.
I fill my practice drums with old laundry. When I say fill, I mean "full"! Works great for me.

roncadillac

I use Evans soundoff heads as resos on my toms (I prefer concert toms but figured I'd keep the look and stability of 'regular' toms) so my experience with playing on them and not just with them is minimal. I can't help but occasionally set my 10" tom upside down and give it a few hits on the mesh out of curiosity. The first time felt a little weird as I've always been a practice pad guy but I honestly could see myself preferring the mesh over rubber once I got used to it. You really have to fiddle with tension to get it to feel acceptable to you, too low feels like you are hitting a sponge and too high feels like you are hitting a spring... Somewhere in the middle lies your comfort zone.

No, it won't be 100% the same as hitting your preferred drum heads but it's plenty close enough that you should be happy.

One trick: extended use of mesh heads can put little dents and ridges in your bearing edges, put a single layer of painters tape over the edge first. Protects the edge but comes off easily without leaving residue.