Remo silent-stroke mesh head for bass drum....felt or wood beater?

jotadrums

In a few days my drum set will arrive home (promise to post then;)). In the meantime I was wondering which kind of beater in the bass-drum pedal is better for a Remo 18" Silent Stroke Mesh Head BD

I have heard that felt beaters could damage the mesh head, don't know if this is correct. Any idea?

Regards...

NackAttack

Yes, felt tears through mesh heads. Unless something in mesh tech has changed in the last few years that I’m not aware of. Wood or plastic would be the way to go. You might try a patch too assuming you can get it to stick.

roncadillac

Go to a hardware store or big box store and get a product such as plasti dip or flex seal and apply this to the area your beater is going to hit. You can get these products in either spray or liquid form, just spray or paint on the area of impact. If it starts to wear through, just apply some more.

beatdat

It wasn't intuitive to me that felt beaters would tear through mesh heads, just like it wasn't intuitive to me that a Silent Stroke head would tear apart my Tama Soft Sound beaters in no time flat - I thought these would be win-win combos, but they're anything but.

If you do put on a patch, use a smaller, thinner one. Thicker patches (like the Remo Falam Slam) will amplify the volume quite a bit, and can somewhat change the tone as well (and not for the better).

NackAttack

If you do put on a patch, use a smaller, thinner one. Thicker patches (like the Remo Falam Slam) will amplify the volume quite a bit, and can somewhat change the tone as well (and not for the better).
Excellent advice on the patch. I was just thinking about durability.

CommanderRoss

Silver Member
I have the RTOM kick pad & it has a large reinforcement patch like how the Remo CS black dot heads are.
I'd get a kick drum contact patch & just stick it on where your beater hits. It'll extend the life of your head a lot.

Last edited:

Juniper

Gold Member
I used the standard DW beater head on my DW5000 pedal with a 22" Remo Silent Stroke and had no issues for 2/3 years.

The head still looks as if it's brand new as they are very durable, the beater felt is slightly worn but that's what you'd expect for any bass drum beater.

Honestly had no issues and I'm not the softest of players at times.