Remo Renaissance Snare Side and Evans EC Reso ?

Andrew RS

Hi everyone, I'm starting in jazz and I'm going to replace my old heads with something more suitable for my snare and toms made of poplar.

I liked the Evans UV1s for their sound and for the durability Evans claims to have, but I want to control the overtones these heads produce.

Do you think that with the resonant heads Remo Ambassador Renaissance Snare Side and Evans EC Resonant does not eliminate the jazz sound and preserve sensitivity? Or is it better to use moon gels and normal resonant heads? (Hazy Snare side and G1 Clear)

Last edited:

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
I wouldn't consider the Renaissance snare side as an overtone-reducing type of a head, but I don't really think of any snare side as producing that many overtones either. The Renaissance snare side gives a very dark, papery snare response. It sounds great if you're looking for a very dry and crisp orchestral-type snare sound. It is a very specific sound and it is considerably different from the typical clear snare side sound. Whether it's right for jazz really depends on how you want your snare to sound.

I like the EC Reso heads. They have a nice, clean sound and they help produce a clearer (and lower) fundamental pitch but it's a sound I associate more with rock than jazz. In my head I think of a higher fundamental pitch, and a lot more midrange for jazz tom toms.

Obviously it depends on a ton of different factors and I don't think there's a single right answer, but an awful lot of "jazz drummers" stick pretty close to coated single-ply top and bottom. It's worth asking what kind of jazz are we talking about? Piano trio, small combo, big band, and electric or fusion all have pretty different demands, sound (and volume)-wise. While anything could work, I think it's worth the effort to dial in the equipment to the genre as best as I can.

I've used a lot of different heads that all give a more mid-rangey tone, and I've always leaned more toward heads that try to reproduce a calfskin kind of a sound. Remo Renaissance or Fiberskyn, or Aquarian Modern Vintage.

Andrew RS

I like the EC Reso heads. They have a nice, clean sound and they help produce a clearer (and lower) fundamental pitch but it's a sound I associate more with rock than jazz. In my head I think of a higher fundamental pitch, and a lot more midrange for jazz tom toms.

Obviously it depends on a ton of different factors and I don't think there's a single right answer, but an awful lot of "jazz drummers" stick pretty close to coated single-ply top and bottom. It's worth asking what kind of jazz are we talking about? Piano trio, small combo, big band, and electric or fusion all have pretty different demands, sound (and volume)-wise. While anything could work, I think it's worth the effort to dial in the equipment to the genre as best as I can.
Well, I'm more attracted to piano trio and jazz fusion, anyway I think I'll go for g1 clear reso instead of coated, I want my toms to retain the sustain.