Remo Renaissance heads on a drum set

LeeLovesSabian

Silver Member
This is right of the back of my Remo Emperor X box:
Renaissance heads are for:
A warm, distinct punch, Calf-like sound(?), look and feel, and a textured film, good for brushes.

Cymbalrider

Pioneer Member
I'm interested in trying them now really. I've got one on order for a doumbek, but again this is very different from applications to toms and bass. The main thing that's got me interested is that Renaissance heads are an open sound, but without the plastic attack of clear heads and can't loose texture like coated heads. Fiberskyns, because of the laminated layer, are a little muffled, and have a very sort of flat attack. I loved the tone, but sometimes they just sounded dead in different venues. I had them on my Mapex kit and we had regular gigs at a restaurant outside on the patio. Depending on the humidity, they changed the tuning and sustain--almost like real calf. Eventually, because of the humidity I think, they started bubbling in the middle which further dampened the head. I've heard Renaissance heads on concert basses and the bass drum in question is a 26", so I think I can expect a big boomy sound. I just hope the floor toms don't sound like tympani

eamesuser

Silver Member
Don't know what you ended up doing,but thought I woud add my 2 cents,I tried the ren ambassadors on the toms, batter side,on two kits a 1966 Rogers 12 mt and 14ft, and an eames birch kit.I don't know what mapex rig you are using but this is what i found.the rogers are a thin shelled Maple and poplar mix with maple re rings,the are warm and have alot of middle to their sound,I would use clear diplomats as resos and clear pinstripes or coated ambs as batters depending if i wanted more bass or attack,I liked the rens they sounded good but I found they brought out even more warmth/ middle in the drums at mid level tuning so I liked the attack and dryness of coated ambs better on that kit,I did'nt try a higher jazz tuning but they might work there,I then tried them on the eames kit ,clear dips as resos 10,12,14,16. The eames are a thick 3/8and 1/2 inch unobstucted shell.I would usually use clear or coatd ambs on the batter side depending on whether I was going for punchy modern sound or a warmer more traditional sound.The eames by nature are a loud punchy and somewhat aggressive kit and like alot of birch kits have a rich dark tone with alot of attack,when I put the rens on it they warmed up alot,I guess they brought out more middle than either the clear ambsor the coated ambs and the attack mellowed slightly, they really sounded like a cross between a clear amb and a coated amb,ressonance and punch more like a clear head but more warmth like a coated but not as dry.I really prefer the rens on that kit now.I also tried the ren amb on a 6.5 14 15 ply birch 5/8 snare and it had no depth or body at all.

human71

I'M CURRENTLY IN THE PROCESS OF RESTORING MY 1950'S WFL 14X22 BASS DRUM, AND UPON IT'S COMPLETION , I WILL USE A REMO EMPEROR RENAISSANCE HEAD ON THE RESONANT SIDE ONLY, AS I FIND THISTO BE THE ONLY USE FOR THESE HEADS DRUMKIT...ALTHOUGH I'VE NEVER HEARD THEM ON TOMS , I THINK THE CHARACTERISTICS DESCRIBED BY MOST DRUMMERSI KNOW ONLY MAKE MY ASSUMPTION OF THESE HEADS TO RING TRUE ,, ( NO PUN INTENDED !! )..IF YOU GO TO THE DRUMDOCTORS.COM WEBSITE , KNOWN OFCOURSE FOR THEIR EXPERTISE IN THE FIELD OF ALL THAT IS DRUMS AND VINTAGE DRUMS , I NOTICED THEY USE RENAISSANCE HEADS ON A LOT OF THEIR RESO SIDE BASS DRUM HEADS..IT ALL DEPENDS ON THE SOUND YOU WANT TO GET OUT OF YOUR DRUMS, BUT THESE HEADS , I THINK, ARE TAILOR MADE FOR THAT REASON ONLY..AND I'D HAVE TO AGREE WITH CLAYTON C ON HIS MISTRUST WITH THESE HEADS ON A SNARE DRUM..DON'T WORRY DUDE, NOTHING WRONG WITH YOUR EARS, THEY'RE ABSOLUTELY RIGHT ON THIS SUBJECT...
CHEERS TO ALL AND ENJOY THE RHYTHM ![

For everyone who still wants to know if Rens work well on toms. Having read this thread, I just put some Ren Ambas on my Catalinas an hour ago. What can I say? I am amazed about the deep rich sound it offers to my ears. On Sunday I have to play a Jazz matinee, and I am looking forward to taking my "new" set out to see how it works in a live situation.

If the bass drum wasn't 18'', I would give it a try with the Big Band I am gigging with next Friday, but the venue seems to be way to big for a tiny kick without mikes.

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
A good friend of mine has used Renaissance Emperors on his toms for over 15 years. He swears by them, and I really like the sound of his drums too. They have a warm sound, but they still have a nice clarity too. I think that comes from the film being textured, and not coated.

I've used them on the snare before, including the Renaissance snare-side, and it's an interesting sound. It gives a snare a dry, almost papery response.

vindrums

I may be incorrect but I believe that the renaissance line of heads was originally intended for orchestral applications. Renaissance timpani heads have become the industry standard for the most part. I have not used a renaissance head on my drum set but I do love them on my timpani and my concert snare drums.

Someone mentioned that they didn't care for the feel of the renaissance head on their snare in a jazz situation. I would totally agree with this sentiment. Theses heads are far better suited for orchestral/concert band settings where dry, articulate response is required.

I fell over a couple of ren ambas lately and put it on my jazz cat toms. I don't like very much how they look, but the sound amazes me. I tried Ambas, Vintage A's, AmbaX before, and so far I like the rens best. Very warm and lively sound, and one can get used to the optics hopefully soon ;-)

I still don't know how they work in studio situations, but for live gigs they do a great job, playing mostly jazz, latin and blues.