Remo PS3 as Reso

aboylikedave

Just learning about heads etc. Very happy with my clear ambassadors, I play a very mixed bag of pop, soul, indie-pop. I play a Yamaha Stage Custom.

On my my kick I've got a PS3 with the stock reso and I'm really not happy with the sound. I've tried loads of tightnessess and tuning but the PS3 sounds rather 'slappy' . Funnily enough various combinations of tuning on batter and reso don't seem to cause that much variation to the basic sound quality of the bass drum.

I actually want quite a bassy thuddy warm round sounding kick.

How would the PS3 sound as a reso with say an emporer or G2 batter?

Or would a different reso transform the sound of the PS3. The stock reso really is one of those plasticcy ones.

I have a remo powersonic batter head with a PS3 reso. It's quite boomy and packs a nice punch as well :) I think you'd lke it.

Last edited:
I ran a clear Powerstroke 3 batter and a ebony Powerstroke 3 reso. on a Yamaha 20x14 I had, and got a real nice punch, with very little overtone. You might experiment with just a felt strip, underneath your Yamaha stock reso. head. Changing out the reso. head will certainly alter the bass drum sound. For that matter, just flipping he kick drum around (P3 reso, Yamaha head batter) will give you a much different animal.

I don't think it is the combo that's the problem. 1000's of drummers use PS3's including myself and I have no trouble getting a great kick sound. I also have a stock reso with a 4" porthole. Admittedly on their own without anything in the bassdrum I to experience too much resonance, however what I did was roll up two hand towels, electric tape them so they stay rolled up and insert one b/w my kick pedal and batter head tape it to the batter (one small strip or two at both ends) so its stays put, then do the same to the reso but on inside of the kick drum (tape to inside of reso) so no one can see it including you.
Now I have the perfect amount of resonance for my ears, you can experiment with different towel thickness/sizes. If this doesn't do it for you throw in a pillow.

Back