Remo PowerStroke 3 Bass Drum - To Dot or not to Dot?

Metarhythm

Hello -

Anyone compare the (clear) versions with and without the dot?

Also what's a good resonant head to pair with this?
(looking for a good solid thump, short sustain, for rock, funk, downtempo; soft to medium playing, single pedal)

Thank you....

I've always preferred the less muffled sound of no dot, but I also want my heads to last...so in the past I've taken Falam Slam Pads and cut them down with scissors to just the size of the beater to reduce the amount of muffling it does.

But nowadays I would probably get an Aquarian Super-Thin Kick Pad instead. They offer some protection without dampening the head much at all.

I just now realized while typing this you're asking about the black dot version of the P3, not impact pads, but I'll leave it up...haha.

The black dots always have a little more attack, a little less tone, warmth and resonance. And they last longer.

The difference between dot and no dot isn't night and day though.

Most people prefer no dot, including myself.

I currently have the dotted version on my 24" Ludwig Classic Maple. Previously, I always used the clear version.

The dot gives a harder sounding attack, primarily. Honestly, I didn't like it much when I first got it, but it has grown on me. Plus, I've adjusted my tuning to make it do what I want.

Basically, if you want a rounder note with a sofetr attack, go with the clear. If you want a harder attack, get the dot.

I tried the dot version and as was already said, it feels harder to play, but I think the sound is negligible. I can use any PS3 version and they all sound identical to me in a band situation. But if you want that vintage look, that’s the ticket!

Thank you for the replies so far.

Sounds like I would probably prefer the no-dot version, as I don't seek a really hard attack. Although of course the beater choice and playing style affect the attack as well. I generally use a felt beater to avoid any kind of "click" attack.

Also, any recommendations on a good resonant head to pair?
I could leave the stock Ludwig head on, but that's now 3-4 years old. Would it make substantial difference to replace that reso head also?

Remo's rep recommended a PowerStroke 3 or 4 Ebony for the reso, to pair with a PowerStroke 3 clear or dot on the batter. Or would it be better to go for something like an Ambassador Ebony on the reso?

(Reso head does need a port for internal microphone).
Also, in case mic selection influences head selection, I use a Shure Beta 91A inside the drum, and a Beta 52A just outside the port.

Again, looking for a short-sustain solid low thump, soft to medium attack, defined but no overtones or ringing. If I can already achieve that sound without having to deal with a lot of internal damping, that would be nice. Right now I just put a single thick towel in there, mostly against the batter head (also just the Ludwig factory head). Sounds pretty good, but I feel like this drum (Ludwig Custom Maple 20" bass drum) might have more life to it with new (better?) heads.

Beater is the felt side of a (newly acquired and wonderful) Yamaha 9500D (direct drive model).

Also, any recommendations on a good resonant head to pair?
I could leave the stock Ludwig head on, but that's now 3-4 years old. Would it make substantial difference to replace that reso head also?

Remo's rep recommended a PowerStroke 3 or 4 Ebony for the reso, to pair with a PowerStroke 3 clear or dot on the batter. Or would it be better to go for something like an Ambassador Ebony on the reso?

(Reso head does need a port for internal microphone).
Also, in case mic selection influences head selection, I use a Shure Beta 91A inside the drum, and a Beta 52A just outside the port.

Again, looking for a short-sustain solid low thump, soft to medium attack, defined but no overtones or ringing. If I can already achieve that sound without having to deal with a lot of internal damping, that would be nice. Right now I just put a single thick towel in there, mostly against the batter head (also just the Ludwig factory head). Sounds pretty good, but I feel like this drum (Ludwig Custom Maple 20" bass drum) might have more life to it with new (better?) heads.

Beater is the felt side of a (newly acquired and wonderful) Yamaha 9500D (direct drive model).

Those Remo black suede PS3 or Evans 56 EQ4 calftone are great for full front reso heads. Not a lot of excessive ringing because of the fiber nature of the head. I’m using one on my Reference 22” bass drum and it’s thumpy and warm.

Thank you...

Anyone compare Ambassador vs. PowerStroke (say, both Ebony) for resonant head?

Also, is the Dynamo pre-installed a good option, or better to go with a different kind of port protector?

Would it make substantial difference to replace that reso head also?
No, not substantial. It also depends if you have anything inside the bass drum for dampening. I like to dampen the batter head from inside, so the front/resonant head adds a bit of tone which I like. If I were dampening more, and the dampening material touched both heads, the resonant head wouldn't matter at all. If you aren't using any dampening material inside the bass drum at all, then the choice of resonant head will be much more important. I like the look of Remo Fiberskyn heads on the front. Either the Ambassador or Powerstroke 3 version would be great, depending on how much tone you want. Powerstroke 3 will have fewer high frequency harmonics, and the Ambassador will sustain a bit more. I'm currently using White Suede Powerstroke 3 on the front of my bass drums, with a small 4" hole about 3" from the edge.

Back