Remo pins over Reno pins

Wolvie56

I'm replacing all my heads in the near future and am partial to Remo clear pinstripes on all my toms. What are your thoughts on old pins as reso, and new pins for the batter side? Should be very thick and wet, eh? Anyone ever try this?

Yes. Don't do it. Your drums will sound very choked. Pinstripes don't make good reso heads. Especially if they are old. Use something like clear Ambassadors for the resos.

Personally, I prefer a thinner reso. I've always used ambs and think they are perfect for the job. That said, I've never tried pinstripes on anything but batters.

Considering you've already got the old ones, why not just try it?.....you could even come back and tells us your thoughts. You can always change back if you don't like it.

If you like evans also, I heard EC2's over EC's work well. I have G2's over G1's and I love the sound, although for me they took a while to tune, but once everything is in sync with each other they sound fantastic.

Firstly I'd never use pins as reso's as was said above, you will completely choke the sound of the drum. Secondly I'd NEVER use old batters for reso's. The head is already worn out and damaged from being played on and will not resonate properly to give you a good tone. Do this buy a new pinstripe, take your old head off for that size head you purchased and take each head and hold it by the metal ring and hit it in the middle, the old one will not resonate at all and sound like a piece of cardboard the new one will at least have a little tone to it.

If you are looking for less resonance from your drum try the diplomat series heads. Thinners heads vibrate less and give you a shorter sustain.

AHHH dont due the pis as reso's!

they sound great as batters, but dont use them on top AND bottom! it'll sound like hitting a tuperware container upside down! no tone, jsut a straight, dead "thud".

if thats what youre goin for than by all means go for it, it's your sound!

....but most important....DO NOT USE OLD HEADS as resos.

If you're going pinstripe, ...just do with clear Ambassadors for resos ...

he's not talking about pinstripes, he's talking about "Reno" pins, like from a bowling alley. Those ought to work very well as resos. But seriously, if you like a real boxy sound, this combo should work great. Actually, you could probably get the same effect with no heads on the bottom.

This is actually an interesting question. I am a believer in using similar weight heads on the batter and reso. I know most people just use clear ambassadors (or the evans equivalent) for resos, regardless of the batter head weight, but I use coated emperors over clear emperors to keep the weight on both sides equal. I agree that pinstripes, expecially old batters, will make terrible reso heads, but I dont know if the standard clear, single ply head is the right answer either.

I have never used pinstripes, so I dont have the answer. But I would be interested to hear what various reso heads do under the pinstripes.

Using old heads as reso's will kill the sound of your drums.

Using Pinstripes has reso's would make your drums sound rather dead.

Doing both, and you might as well just perform on the cardboard boxes your drums originally came in.

Drum heads are not like car tires, and should not be rotated. I know some people have to do strange stuff simply because they can't afford "everything" new.​
Since you like the sound of Pinstripe heads, buy yourself a new set of heads and replace all your reso's with the new Pins. Leave your old Pins batter, since it sounds like you're looking for as little overtone as possible. At least new Pins reso will at least, in some form, resonate.​
Chances are, you're not gonna like the sound. And if that's the case, you have brand new Pinstripe heads for batter, and you just remount the reso heads reso.​

Ok, I don't usually bust into a thread like gangbusters with sweeping pronouncements of right/wrong, but...

You're all wrong. [Sorta.]

In 2000 when I still had my '91 Tama Rockstar kit, I joined a band replacing another drummer who had the same model kit. [It was all amicable, no drama- I hung out some w/the guy I replaced.] He wasn't really "into" the nuts & bolts of drum gear like most of us are. So, when I had my audition/1st practice with the guys, I played his gear 'cause the space was small and there was no room for mine 'til he picked his up, and- you guessed it- Pins top & bottom on the toms. I thought they were gonna sound boxy and choked. They didn't. Granted, they didn't have the best tone, IMO. They were kinda, uhhh, hollow sounding [ironic since drums are hollow, har har har], not very warm- I guess you could say "cold"- but had plenty of sustain. I was pleasantly surprised by that, even though they had a tone that I didn't dig. They sounded not unlike some tones I've heard on newer country & modern rock stuff- eq'd and compressed to death, y'know, since those rings of glue were cutting out overtones on both ends of each drum- but these were right in front of me, not coming through a stereo system.

In the newest Modern Drummer [Stanton Moore cover], there's a photo of The Bangles' Debbi Peterson playing live with large slabs of duct tape plastered on the bottom heads. I imagine the tone she and/or her techs are after would be gained with Pins as resos.

I agree wholeheartedly that used batters of any sort should never be rotated over to the reso side. The whole point of reso heads is to contribute to tone and aid sustain, and beaten heads aren't gonna do either very well.

Ok, I don't usually bust into a thread like gangbusters with sweeping pronouncements of right/wrong, but...

You're all wrong. [Sorta.]

In 2000 when I still had my '91 Tama Rockstar kit, I joined a band replacing another drummer who had the same model kit. [It was all amicable, no drama- I hung out some w/the guy I replaced.] He wasn't really "into" the nuts & bolts of drum gear like most of us are. So, when I had my audition/1st practice with the guys, I played his gear 'cause the space was small and there was no room for mine 'til he picked his up, and- you guessed it- Pins top & bottom on the toms. I thought they were gonna sound boxy and choked. They didn't. Granted, they didn't have the best tone, IMO. They were kinda, uhhh, hollow sounding [ironic since drums are hollow, har har har], not very warm- I guess you could say "cold"- but had plenty of sustain. I was pleasantly surprised by that, even though they had a tone that I didn't dig. They sounded not unlike some tones I've heard on newer country & modern rock stuff- eq'd and compressed to death, y'know, since those rings of glue were cutting out overtones on both ends of each drum- but these were right in front of me, not coming through a stereo system.

In the newest Modern Drummer [Stanton Moore cover], there's a photo of The Bangles' Debbi Peterson playing live with large slabs of duct tape plastered on the bottom heads. I imagine the tone she and/or her techs are after would be gained with Pins as resos.

I agree wholeheartedly that used batters of any sort should never be rotated over to the reso side. The whole point of reso heads is to contribute to tone and aid sustain, and beaten heads aren't gonna do either very well.

So,....where are we all wrong sorta ????

I shouldn't have said "you're all wrong", just that these quotes are:

"Your drums will sound very choked"
"you will completely choke the sound of the drum"
"it'll sound like hitting a tuperware container upside down! no tone, jsut a straight, dead 'thud' "
"if you like a real boxy sound, this combo should work great. Actually, you could probably get the same effect with no heads on the bottom"
"I agree that pinstripes, expecially old batters, will make terrible reso heads" [i agree with the old batters part, and "terrible" is subjective, but if the poster meant not resonant/no sustain, then the statement is wrong.]
"Using Pinstripes has reso's would make your drums sound rather dead"

I should also add that if any of the people who stated these quotes have heard a drum with Pins top & bottom and it sounded dead or had no resonance/sustain, I'm not telling you that you didn't hear what you heard. However, the reasons had to be because the heads were just tuned badly or were on sketchy gear, because as I stated in my previous post, I've heard the combo with my own ears in person and the toms sustained quite well. So, simply having Pin over Pin will not result in an inability to get a lot of resonance & sustain. I get the feeling a lot of you have never heard the combo and were just assuming. [I've been guilty of that myself.]

I said "sorta" 'cause a lot of you also made statements basically saying that the tone would be terrible- and I agree, I didn't dig it- and that's subjective. Some would like it, I'm sure. So, I'm sorry, I should've worded it much better.

Back