Remo Muff-l-ring

hippy chip

Silver Member
A friend of mine gave me a clear PS3 and ring that I am thinking of trying on my unported 22x14. I currently have a Black Suede PS3 batter and and single ply Skull graphic reso on the drum. My question is which head I should put the ring on. Just wondering if anyone here has used one of these, and what you think about it.

calan

Silver Member
Garbage IMO.

I think putting something a layer of plastic between the head and the bearing edge is... I can't even articulate this. So many strong opinions, all of them negative.

If you want to use the ring, I'd rather just tape or adhere it the head.

I used one of these in my youth on somebody's recommendation. I wish I could go back in time and strike them down. I really feel they're pointless given the myriad wonderful damped head options on the market.

hippy chip

Silver Member
The PS3 head has a plastic ring between the head and the bearing edge---why is taping or gluing the foam ring better?

ZildjianLover

You are much better off applying a small piece of gaff tape or painter’s tape onto the batter head. The Remo Muff’l rings essentially KILL the tone of the drum and ruin the rebound, whereas the tape will shorten the sustain by a little bit without having a noticeable effect on the rebound. With tape, you always have the choice to apply as much or as little as you would like, so you have a much greater level of control over the sound than if you were to use a Remo Muff’l.

I had Muff’ls on my old kit nearly three out of the five years I played on it, and I will never ever go back.

D

drumming sort of person

Billy Cobham used to use them live back in the early 80s. Not a sound I would go for, but he made them sound great.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
The Muff-l-ring was a product of the early 80s before you had heads like the PowerStroke 3 and the myriad heads that developed from the PS3. I used one extensively back then and it worked on bass drums. They also produced them for toms, but they weren't that popular due to the over-muffled nature it produced on smaller drums.

But bass drums are a different story, especially when you consider back then, most people played with pillows in their bass drums anyway. So losing your super-sharp bearing edge didn't matter with the tray. In fact, it helped to flatten the sound by giving the head a big bearing edge, and when you installed the foam ring, you got a nice, round tone, which was always hit or miss if you routinely played with a pillow in the bass drum.

I liked the product because it got you away from using a pillow, and it gave you nice round tone if you played an un-ported bass drum. I've also experimented with using a half of the foam ring, or just half of the tray, and in all cases it helped to produce the tone that is so easy now to get with the PowerStroke or the Evans EQ heads now. I was actually surprised to see some in my local music store the other day - I thought Remo discontinued them since people stopped using them extensively.

Les Ismore

Platinum Member
A friend of mine gave me a clear PS3 and ring that I am thinking of trying on my unported 22x14. I currently have a Black Suede PS3 batter and and single ply Skull graphic reso on the drum. My question is which head I should put the ring on. Just wondering if anyone here has used one of these, and what you think about it.

You should try it, it might work for you. Agree with Bo, on a BD if you already use muffling, or you desire more, the tray against the BD head won't cause much problems. I'd use it with the clear.

I tried these MUFF L rings in the 80's too, played it on the BD for awhile, they trays will eventually age, crack/break. I heard kits with a full compliment of MUFF L's and mic'd up they sounded fine, probably better than wide open at the time, as ring/overtones and accurate tuning were not part of the day.

hippy chip

Silver Member
I'm going to pass on this thing---right now the drum is wide open---no laundry, no tape, no foam. I'm going to leave it alone.

CommanderRoss

Silver Member
I'm going to pass on this thing---right now the drum is wide open---no laundry, no tape, no foam. I'm going to leave it alone.
Good call. I have an EMAD on the batter of my 22x20 kick and a KickPort on the reso. It's wide open inside. The EMAD controls the tone so well that no laundry or felt strip is needed.
It's just a thing of beauty.

While the muff'l ring has it's nostalgic purposes, there are MUCH better products out there that do what they did innovatively back in the 80's.

Dr_Watso

Platinum Member
Putting something between the bearing edge and the head always struck me as sort of stupid.

I get muffling, but that's basically going to kill the entire point of a membrane on a floating bearing edge like that.

Can't believe I'm saying this, but I think a freaking pillow is a better option if you really need to deaden your drum that much.

hippy chip

Silver Member
Putting something between the bearing edge and the head always struck me as sort of stupid.

I get muffling, but that's basically going to kill the entire point of a membrane on a floating bearing edge like that.

Can't believe I'm saying this, but I think a freaking pillow is a better option if you really need to deaden your drum that much.

Anyone who bothered to read the whole thread would know that I am not going to use that stupid contraption. I was just asking a simple question---If anyone is interested it sounds like someone put too much laundry in the dryer---completely dead!

Dr_Watso

Platinum Member
Anyone who bothered to read the whole thread would know that I am not going to use that stupid contraption. I was just asking a simple question---If anyone is interested it sounds like someone put too much laundry in the dryer---completely dead!
Read the whole thread when I can cut in with pontificate commentary? Psshh.

I think these things are wonderful, I’ve been using them since the late nineties with the exception of a year or so when I tried the Evans heads with the muffling stuff on the outside, emad or some such nonsense. I’m coming to the conclusion that my tastes are absolute garbage!! Every post I read where somebody explains what they hate, it pretty much sums up what I do or what I have.

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
My experience is just like Bo's...They work fine, but they accomplish what heads like Powerstroke and Super Kicks do without the added hassle of an extra piece attached to the drum. Before those kinds of heads existed they were a lot better than having blankets/pillows/etc. crammed inside the drum just rolling around.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
My experience is just like Bo's...They work fine, but they accomplish what heads like Powerstroke and Super Kicks do without the added hassle of an extra piece attached to the drum. Before those kinds of heads existed they were a lot better than having blankets/pillows/etc. crammed inside the drum just rolling around.
I was kinda' convinced they'd work great when I saw Tommy Aldridge using them during a Yamaha drum clinic when he was playing for White Snake back in the mid-80s. It was just a pinstripe batter head with the Muff'l, and the standard Yamaha black reso head with center hole (making it essentially a single-headed drum, but it was the 80s, right?). They stuck an EV RE20 microphone just inside and his bass drums were thunderous! I couldn't argue with that. I was a big proponent of the Muff'l until the PowerStroke 3 came out. Nowadays, if I'm not miking the bass drum, I run with PS3's on both sides, and it sounds great.

And then there are guys like Charlie Watts, who still use a single-ply head with some form of pillow inside the drum. And at all his shows, those drums sound awesome too ;)

hippy chip

Silver Member
I was planning to use Black Suede PS3 heads on both sides until I saw the Tattoo Skyn skulls---the Muff-L was just a passing thought that completely killed the tone of the drum. After I played with the tuning a little bit more I was able to get it to sound the way I wanted it to, and I don't need any pillows, towels, or gaffer tape!

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
I was planning to use Black Suede PS3 heads on both sides until I saw the Tattoo Skyn skulls---the Muff-L was just a passing thought that completely killed the tone of the drum. After I played with the tuning a little bit more I was able to get it to sound the way I wanted it to, and I don't need any pillows, towels, or gaffer tape!
That's how it should be! But imagine trying to get that sound before the advent of the PowerStroke 3 head - your choices were very limited. Evans Hydraulics may have gotten you close, but the whole concept of muffling around the edge of the drum was unheard of prior to the PS3.