REMO, Evans, Aquarian ... yada yada

Oldwhammerjammer

who else sells drum heads? ... btw, newbie from Michigan here.

although I do prefer the most underated drum heads in history and that would be Aquarian

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Re: REMO, Evans, Aquarian ... yada yada

The 3 majors all sound alike to me. Ludwig heads have a different sound than those guys IMO. I use smooth white Ludwig heads because they give me more presence, more attack, more treble. They sound more alive to me.

Icetech

Gold Member

Where in michigan? it's a big place.. fill out your profile :)

I use Remo and some Aquarian on snare.. (mainly cause i'm too cheap to change my toms out til they are dead) using Black Suede emps on my toms..

BUT.. Ludwig heads for snare sound just amazing to me.. and i would only use them if the finish lasted longer, it didn't change the sound but my OCD wouldn't let me keep playing it.. i will try them again though :)

Stroman

Platinum Member

The 3 majors all sound alike to me. Ludwig heads have a different sound than those guys IMO. I use smooth white Ludwig heads because they give me more presence, more attack, more treble. They sound more alive to me.
I like that you don't try to toe the line, Larry. lol Nearly every "new" drumhead design seems to aim at reducing the treble, yet you embrace it. You da man.

To the OP - I haven't seen them here yet, but there is a company called Code that is gaining some ground, it seems. Aquarian heads are good but nothing magic, IMO. The three major players are more alike than different, but I CAN hear differences.

G

Ghostnote

Ludwig and Attack are the only other two companies that sell any amount of drum heads besides the big three. I haven't used Attack heads, but Ludwig heads are definitely worth checking out. Nothing makes a Ludwig snare sound better or more like a Ludwig than a coated Ludwig Medium head. They sound great but I can't use them because they are basically the same as a coated Diplomat and I cave in the center in a matter of minutes. A Ludwig Heavy is the same thickness as an Ambassador and that's what I've been using on my snare drums lately. I've actually used coated Heavies top and bottom on my Legacy kit with very good results. I also use either a coated or clear Ludwig Powercollar (same as a PS3) batter on my bass drum with a smooth white Powercollar on the reso, nothing inside the drum, front head unported, and my bass drum sounds killer with that head combo. I have Ludwig Silver Dots on all my drums now, and if you like a boxier, 70's thump sort of sound they will do that, but I prefer the coated Heavies. I have also tried Ludwig's clear 2-ply Weather Master batters with clear Heavies on bottom and that combo sounded great too on the Legacies. The last band I played in liked that combo best and it worked well for live gigs.

porter

Platinum Member

Other than Ludwig and Attack, DW has recently introduced a line of bespoke heads, though those are made by Remo.

There's also Earthtone, who makes calfskin heads for modern drums.

Super Phil

Dynaton drum heads are made by Taye, and that's what their kits come with from the factory.

D

drumming sort of person

FYI, Ludwig is getting out of the drum head business. Get 'em while you can if you like 'em.

G

Ghostnote

FYI, Ludwig is getting out of the drum head business. Get 'em while you can if you like 'em.
Wow, that realy, REALLY sucks. Guess I'll have to go back to Remo soon. Oh well, been wanting to try Vintage A's top and bottom anyway...

Friedmett

Still using Remo. It sounds great enough for my ears.

The drums came with Remo so after a good tuning with old skins it sounded great enough for me to stay with them.

Juniper

Gold Member

For anyone in the UK (obviously not the Original Poster) you can get real calf skin heads from the below company.

www.majetoneindustries.com

Thinking of recording with one on my snare this weekend, although depends on how cold the studio is this weekend I guess! Not an issue you have to think about so much with plastic heads....

jbonzo1

Silver Member

Say it ain't so. Please. Sources?
Direct from Ludwig on another forum (DFO)

There is much truth to it. Starting in April USA
drums will all come with Remo heads on the bass drums and toms. Ludwig USA snare
drums will continue to be Ludwig WeatherMaster heads, both batters and snare
side and will still be available as an accessory. Feel free to pass along that
information. We understand this might be a polarizing move but there are
multiple reasons for this change. The response at NAMM was overwhelmingly
positive, especially when people heard the difference which is definitely
significant.