Remo Ebony Series Weatherking- Marking

wraub

Gold Member
Swapped out my main snare drum with my piccolo snare, which has a Remo Ebony Series Weatherking Batter on it. After playing for about 30 mins, I noticed small black spots on the tips of the drumsticks. Some rubbed right off, some didn't. No obvious wear on the head, no cracks or damage, beyond stick marks.

Sure enough, when I swapped the drums back, after a few minutes I have small black spots on my coated batter head.

It's purely aesthetic, I assume, but it's also kind of annoying.

Just thought I'd share.

Swapped out my main snare drum with my piccolo snare, which has a Remo Ebony Series Weatherking Batter on it. After playing for about 30 mins, I noticed small black spots on the tips of the drumsticks. Some rubbed right off, some didn't. No obvious wear on the head, no cracks or damage, beyond stick marks.

Sure enough, when I swapped the drums back, after a few minutes I have small black spots on my coated batter head.

Just thought I'd share.

When I first started playing as a kid almost twenty years ago I used ebony pinstripes for the first few years for no reason besides I thought they looked cool. I'm very familiar with this, I always had black on my stick tips and this would transfer to non-black heads and occasionally cymbals.

I don't use them anymore so it's not a concern to me now but I'm surprised remo hasn't fixed that yet. I can for sure say the Evans onyx and/or black chrome heads don't leave black marks, both have the stylish black look, and both offer a nice low end punch like the pinstripes.

My seven-year-old son wanted to switch out the coated heads on his kit with "cool" ones, so I recently installed Remo Black Suede Emperors on his toms. I'll keep an eye out for stains on his sticks. I don't see any so far.

When I first started playing as a kid almost twenty years ago I used ebony pinstripes for the first few years for no reason besides I thought they looked cool. I'm very familiar with this, I always had black on my stick tips and this would transfer to non-black heads and occasionally cymbals.

I don't use them anymore so it's not a concern to me now but I'm surprised remo hasn't fixed that yet. I can for sure say the Evans onyx and/or black chrome heads don't leave black marks, both have the stylish black look, and both offer a nice low end punch like the pinstripes.

Amid lockdown boredom, I tried Ebony Pinstripes on my toms and bass last year. Excellent low-end depth but a bit too macabre for all-purpose use. I'd love them if I played electronica, but that isn't quite my thing.

I bought a kit that was equipped with Ebony Pinstripes in 93. I hate those heads. The ebony layer actually split on one of the toms and basically peeled off the head leaving a regular pinstripe more or less. That isnt why I hate them though, they are just so dead. That's the reason. And yes, they left little black marks on the snare and cymbals.

I bought a kit that was equipped with Ebony Pinstripes in 93. I hate those heads. The ebony layer actually split on one of the toms and basically peeled off the head leaving a regular pinstripe more or less. That isnt why I hate them though, they are just so dead. That's the reason. And yes, they left little black marks on the snare and cymbals.

Yea, they are extremely dead. In my personal experience I find even hydraulics to have more overall tone. I know someone is going to jump on here and disagree simply due to the poor reputation that hydraulics have but they are a better option for someone looking for 'that' sound. They come in black too, if that's a concern.

Yea, they are extremely dead. In my personal experience I find even hydraulics to have more overall tone. I know someone is going to jump on here and disagree simply due to the poor reputation that hydraulics have but they are a better option for someone looking for 'that' sound. They come in black too, if that's a concern.
I've never played Hydraulics. A regular Pinstripe is about as dead as I'm willing to go.

Just thought I'd share.
The shiny surface of the Ebony head is black paint. Hit hard enough and the shiny surface is gone.

The shiny surface of the Ebony head is black paint. Hit hard enough and the shiny surface is gone.
That doesnt mean it is paint. Look at black plastic trim on a car. Or a rubber mallet. Or an old hockey puck. Same deal, none are painted.

I cant find anything anywhere detailing how Remo makes its Ebony film.

I've played hydraulics since the 80's & if you tune them right, they don't have the "cardboard box" sound like so many say.
Durability is great & there's no need for Moongels.
I have put a hyd on a snare tuned to rock hard and it was so loud the neighbours thought I was shooting squirrels.

That doesnt mean it is paint. Look at black plastic trim on a car. Or a rubber mallet. Or an old hockey puck. Same deal, none are painted.

I cant find anything anywhere detailing how Remo makes its Ebony film.
Take some sandpaper to an old, broken one and see what happens. The surface from top to bottom isn't the same.

Take some sandpaper to an old, broken one and see what happens. The surface from top to bottom isn't the same.
If you read my post, I've had it peel off. Like a sheet. It was still plastic. If it was paint, it wouldnt split downtown the middle then peel off after being beaten with a stick repeadetly. It would flake and crumble like the clearcoat on an old car.

I have put a hyd on a snare tuned to rock hard and it was so loud the neighbours thought I was shooting squirrels.

I have the ebony coated on my 14x6 mahogany snare & it's been THE best addition ever. Keeps the overtones in check & allows me to use brushes if need be.
If I want a 70's fat sound, I drop a Big Fat Snare Drum on it & go to town.

If you read my post, I've had it peel off. Like a sheet. It was still plastic. If it was paint, it wouldnt split downtown the middle then peel off after being beaten with a stick repeadetly. It would flake and crumble like the clearcoat on an old car.
Whatever!

My seven-year-old son wanted to switch out the coated heads on his kit with "cool" ones, so I recently installed Remo Black Suede Emperors on his toms. I'll keep an eye out for stains on his sticks. I don't see any so far.
Shouldn't be any stains with the Black Suede.

Back