Remo Crimplock Conga Heads

greenstar323

I tried joining some random conga drum forum today, but it could be days before they allow me to post and being impatient figured I'd try asking here.

I have some LP Performance congas that I've had for over 10 years. I know they aren't top of the line, but I feel there are "good enough" for me right now. They still have stock heads on them and I'd like to change them out with Remo Crimplock heads (I checked and these heads WILL fit my congas). I use them just to practice, church once in awhile, and the occasional open mic.

Does anyone have any experience on what the differences are between the Nuskyn, fiberskyn, and skyndeep heads? I can read what it says on the website, but just wondering if anyone has first hand experience with them.

greenstar323

Thanks, but I'm really looking to put a synthetic head on them for my purposes. I hate de-tuning and tuning them up before every show and would rather have something where I don't have to worry about the weather.

Nate'sKit

Thanks, but I'm really looking to put a synthetic head on them for my purposes. I hate de-tuning and tuning them up before every show and would rather have something where I don't have to worry about the weather.
Cool. Just that a lot of people have never had the chance to play the good stuff. Play on.

mike d

Silver Member
I've played FiberSkyns and NuSkins, not Skyndeeps.
I bought a set of Toca congas about 10 years ago that came with fiberskyns. They played great, and after 9 years I decided to look for something new (I'm Vegi so I didn't want meat heads). They quit making the model of the congas I had, and I could not find an exact replacement. After exchanging some info with a Remo guy online, I found some Nuskyns that fit, and I have those on now. I really like the tone, but I think I prefer the grip and slap of the Fiberskyns. They are similar, and I don't think you can go wrong with any of them. The differences are subtle.

2underpar

Silver Member
I have a set of Alex Acuna Gon Bops with Remo Synthetic heads. I highly prefer these heads over calf skin heads I had on a previous set of congas.

First, the tone and projection seems much better. They just sound great. Secondly, synthetic heads are easier on your hands. After a couple hours of playing my old calfskins my hands were tore up, not so with the Remo synthetics. And third, they keep their tune better than calfskins.

Hope this helps.

vxla

Silver Member
If I have to use synthetic (beach gigs in the evening, etc.) I use a drum with NuSkyn tucked heads. They're decent on drums that are tuned high, but have too much ring on the tumba.

I prefer the tucked to the crimp lock, but they're just about the same in sound.

single-ply

I too changed out the natural skins on my LP classics with tucked Nuskyns. For congas, I like the fact that they are just a bit warmer than fiberskyns or skyndeeps. They do ring a bit. A little tape on the underside will dry them out.

Now, bongos are a bit different. I put tucked fiberskyns on them. More attack and a bit brighter.

Overall, natural skins sound much better, but I play in and out of high humidity constantly and hate detuning and retuning constantly.

greenstar323

Came back here just to post an update... I went with the skndeep heads. Wow! They are so much easier on my hands, no more tuning/detuning, and they project so much better! Are they as good as the real thing? Probably not, but for my purposes I think they will work just fine.

Agree they are a little ring-y but it seems like in a live performance setting it's hardly noticed. I might do some moon gel on the underside of the head.

GeoB

Gold Member
Nuskyn might tune up a bit higher... but for conga higher doesn't really or isn't really part of the equation. I've used Fiberskins for years and they are still holding up. I traveled a bit with them, set up, take down, stuck in hot vans, in and out of humidity into climate controlled spaces and I have never retuned them. I use 4 drums tuned to a Cmaj9 and they do not move. But... I'm not using wood shells either, which might play into it. I use the Pancho Sanchez accoustacon shells. Accoustacon (sp) is the material that Remo uses for a variety of drums, including E-drums shells that they make for other companies.

I use the Nuskyn on my bongo's, the Djembe is a Fiberskin, but I also have several goatskin drums as well. I really appreciate the flexibility of the synthetics. My intro synthetic heads was Xray film on the macho drum. But Xray film changes and is now probably non-existent with the switch to digital medical imaging. That came recommended from some players in and around D.C., it was a nice switch as that macho really started putting out with the synthetic material on it.