Remo Bass Head Comparison

I don't understand why the Emperor smooth white has so much more resonance then the other Emperors. it's highly different from the clear and coated version.

Emperor Clear 2 ply of 7mil
Emperor Coated 2 ply of 7mil
Emperor Smooth white 2 ply of 7.5mil (By far the most resonant of the 3 with a wide living sound)

Something doesn't add up for me here..

Noticed the same, Emp Smooth was off the charts different, to the point I thought the drum was tuned differently.
Excellent video. I always use a PS3, but have to say was really more turned on by all the heads without rings (Ambs, Emps). If you're going for BIG bass sound, those are obvious choices.

Noticed the same, Emp Smooth was off the charts different, to the point I thought the drum was tuned differently.
Excellent video. I always use a PS3, but have to say was really more turned on by all the heads without rings (Ambs, Emps). If you're going for BIG bass sound, those are obvious choices.

I might write them a small e-mail to ask about the Smooth White head.

I also use a PS3 and i want to replace it exactly for the same reason, the ring inside. When I bought my PS3, I was not aware there were so many models. Actually I tried Ambassador Coated and PS3 coated, Ambassador is too thin and has too much overtone and the PS3 too much muffling and sounds like plastic.

With the REMO video now I know it's possible to find a more interesting (for me at least) mid range head between my 2 existing heads.

Evans Hydraulics; deader than Pinstripes, pillow up against both heads. Aquarian Regulators on the front with the smaller, off-set holes.

I confess that you have me a bit confused. You say that pinstripes gave you much more tone and power. Yet when C.M. Jones asked what you are using you said you're using Evans Hydraulics, which you admit are deader than pinstripes. I've used the Hydraulics for 40 years and was looking for something with similar durability but more tone and ended up with Pinstripes. So, if you prefer heads with more tone and power, why are using agruably some of the most dead sounding heads on the market? Just curious.

My tastes in bass drumhead sound has changed through the years. I used to like clear Pinstripes.
I prefer the mellower, more solid feel of the Hydraulics. I also like to use a pillow in each bass drum.

I like a coated Super Kick 2 on my kick. Nice big and beefy sound.

I admittedly didn't watch the video nor read the rest of the posts, I just popped in here to say this:

I'm exclusively an Evans guy, HOWEVER.... The remo powerstroke black dot bass drum heads are one of my favorite bass drum heads of all time. They look, sound, and feel great.

The most obvious thing to my ears in the video was that the Powerstroke variants have the least overtones while having the most punch at the same time.

However, because of that, you can hear the basketball effect of the shell the most clearly with the PS heads, whereas with the other heads the overtones are way louder than the basketball sound.

I admittedly didn't watch the video nor read the rest of the posts, I just popped in here to say this:

I'm exclusively an Evans guy, HOWEVER.... The remo powerstroke black dot bass drum heads are one of my favorite bass drum heads of all time. They look, sound, and feel great.
That's my current favorite head too.

Looks like they're using an AKG D112 in the hole of the front head, which is just about my least favorite way to mic up a kick drum. If you want that bouncing basketball sound, a D112 in the hole is a surefire way to get it.

That said, I really liked the Renaissance P3. Might have to try one of those!

Back