Remo Bass Head Comparison

C.M. Jones

Here's a video that compares Remo's bass offerings in under five minutes -- no talking, just playing. The drummer appears to use no shell muffling at all. The comparison might be helpful to those of you in search of a new sound. Bass heads can be costly. It's good to hear them before you buy them, though the tunings in this video may not reflect your own. And, of course, the size and composition of your bass drum may produce unique results.

Feel free to post your thoughts and reactions.

Headphones are recommended:

Last edited:

MntnMan62

That was cool. I recently went from Evans Hydraulics to Remo Pinstripes for the batter side of my toms and bass drum. But listening to this might have caused me to choose a different batter head. Helpful video.

Stroman

Platinum Member
I can't listen at work, but I bookmarked this thread. I love these kinds of comparisons, even if I'm not ready to buy.

ToneT

I owned many a Pinstripe clear bass batter when I was younger and they had more tone and power than those two. I returned the dead sounding ones. The weight of those heads were erratic back then; like many two-ply Remo heads could be, despite "quality control."

C.M. Jones

I owned many a Pinstripe clear bass batter when I was younger and they had more tone and power than those two. I returned the dead sounding ones. The weight of those heads were erratic back then; like many two-ply Remo heads could be, despite "quality control."
What's your bass head of choice now? Just curious.

TK-421

I stumbled across this video a couple months ago, and ended up buying a smooth white Powerstroke P3. Actually I was already leaning heavily toward that head after putting smooth white emperors on my toms and LOVING how they turned out. I'd heard good things about the smooth white emperors, but it was this video that sealed the deal for me:

Fortunately, I'm equally happy with my smooth white PS3 purchase. It helped lower the fundamental of my 16x20" bass drum to where it now sounds like a 22", plus it sonically unifies my bass drum and toms.

Auspicious

That's really super C.M. Jones, thanks for sharing. New year might mean new bass drum head!

I was delighted to see that there is a Evans and Aquarian bass drum video too, to compare.

With these videos, I found new heads, these are my choices. It's very hard to say which one I like the most in these 4 for my Jazz purposes.. in the end it might narrow down to a question of price and the avalibility.

REMO:
Ambassador - Fiberskyn
1 Ply 10 Mil + 3 Mil Fiber
Nice "Boom"

Emperor - Smooth White
2 Ply - 7.5 Mills
Nice "Boom"

EVANS:
G2 - Coated
2 Ply - 7mls

UV1 - Coated
1 Ply - 10Mil (UV-Cured)

AQUARIAN:
:
Response 2
2 ply 7mls
Wow!

Jack Dejohnette
1 ply - 10 Mills + Black thick coating

The Evans Video:

The Aquarian Video:

kaide

I stumbled across this video a couple months ago, and ended up buying a smooth white Powerstroke P3. Actually I was already leaning heavily toward that head after putting smooth white emperors on my toms and LOVING how they turned out. I'd heard good things about the smooth white emperors, but it was this video that sealed the deal for me:

Fortunately, I'm equally happy with my smooth white PS3 purchase. It helped lower the fundamental of my 16x20" bass drum to where it now sounds like a 22", plus it sonically unifies my bass drum and toms.
Hey, that's my comparison video :) Great that it helped to choose Smooth White Emperors! I need to try that kick head, been using a regular clear PS3 or coated PS3 for years.

TK-421

Hey, that's my comparison video :) Great that it helped to choose Smooth White Emperors! I need to try that kick head, been using a regular clear PS3 or coated PS3 for years.
Oh cool! That was a great comparison video. Clearly I liked the smooth white Emperors the best. In fact, I had been contemplating upgrading that kit (a Renown) to a Brooklyn, but now I like the sound so much better, I'm definitely keeping these. BTW, which heads from your video did you like the best?

As for bass heads, I've used both clear and coated PS3s as well as a clear PS4, and my new smooth white PS3 is by far my favorite. If you're thinking of trying a different bass drum batter, that's what I'd recommend.

Seafroggys

Silver Member
I actually really like the Emperor's tone a whole lot! I've pretty much always used PS4's, I had a CS Dot once and it was a fucking cannon, but I had to muffle that slightly because it was a bit too much.

I just got a new head but decided to go for a PS3 this time, which I use on my jazz and bop sets. It's still punchy but I almost wanted a bit more tone that what I'm getting out of it. Should have gone with an Emperor.

Auspicious

I picked the Emperor smooth white without reading the comments here, I am amazed to see how popular it is among a gazillion different models.

sumdrumguy

That's awesome! Your head comparison and tuning videos were a huge help to me in the past. Thank you!!! (y):D

newoldie

Silver Member
Love Timpano's videos, really concise and easy to hear each demo, plus NO talking or annoying intros:D

After listening several times to Timpano's bass drum head videos on YouTube since last January-- for me, a clear PS3 still sounds best suited for the music and drum set I play (20 x 14 bass drum w/ported black PS3 resonant).

Stroman

Platinum Member
I finally got a chance to listen. Very interesting. I'd prefer some additional muffling, but my preference for head sound was the clear Ambassador. I guess Simon Phillips was right all along.

iCe

I used this video a few months back to decide on which bassdrum heads i wanted. Went with the clear Pinstripes and have been a fan ever since!

AzHeat

Platinum Member
I have a smooth white PS3 on the BD reso and coated on the batter. I‘m liking the sound of the smooth white on the batter in this video I may have to go that route. The smooth white emperors are a bit of a surprise. I may have to give those a try too. Currently running Aquarian classic coated On toms. Pretty happy with them as they are, but the emperors just may give me that touch of dampening without loosing body. For snare, Aquarian Classic Coated or Coated Ambassadors still win.

Auspicious

I don't understand why the Emperor smooth white has so much more resonance then the other Emperors. it's highly different from the clear and coated version.

Emperor Clear 2 ply of 7mil
Emperor Coated 2 ply of 7mil
Emperor Smooth white 2 ply of 7.5mil (By far the most resonant of the 3 with a wide living sound)

Something doesn't add up for me here..