Remo Ambassadors as tom batters?

M

MinnGuy

I don't. I based my response on your words indicating that you told him to just buy heavier heads. He won't be the first or last person to buy them for that reason.

Regardless, my opinion is that if your student can't even play with enough control to not dent heads, then you should help with that; and just having him buy tougher heads is really not addressing a serious problem in his playing. Poor technique can cause horrible internal injuries and obviously cost them money in heads and equipment.

Not unless I was your student. In that case I would tell you that very thing, very confidently.

I've had several good teachers, and in almost all cases, some of the first things we review and/or fix is basic stroke technique and instrument maintenance. Two even had me bring one of my own drums in so they could tune it with me and I would have a reference point. To be very frank, having a properly tuned kit that sounds nice to play is often a big part of keeping new players interested and not frustrated.

I won't assume, but I hope people aren't paying you to neglect the most important aspects of playing the drums.
Really? All you did was assume. Besides not even bothering to actually read my post.
For example, where in my post did I say that I had him buy heavier heads? I didn't - you assumed, and, well, you know what they say about those that assume.
I hadn't seen this student in quite a few years until the funeral of a mutual friend this past spring. He's spent his adult life working in law enforcement, but still plays whenever he gets the chance, and has a great time doing it. He thanked me for teaching him, and I thanked him for being a great student and for his public service.
I will say this - I'm a newcomer to this forum. It takes a while to get the feel of things - to figure out who's knowledgeable and helpful, who's here looking for answers because they're just getting started. A lot of us are here to be both. It usually takes a while longer to find out who the forum a**holes are.
Thanks for revealing yourself so quickly.

Dr_Watso

Platinum Member
I will say this - I'm a newcomer to this forum. It takes a while to get the feel of things - to figure out who's knowledgeable and helpful, who's here looking for answers because they're just getting started. A lot of us are here to be both. It usually takes a while longer to find out who the forum a**holes are.
Thanks for revealing yourself so quickly.
Glad I could be of assistance. In reverse, I now know that you have a really short fuse and like to call people nasty names when you get slightly frustrated that your "teaching" methodology is offhand questioned. We apparently disagree.

Pylot

Odd Arne Osberg said:

Seen plenty of kids beat their drums like they were trying to hit a nail through a wall. No wonder some dents show up then, but I must admit I don't understand how anyone with anything even resembling propper technique could dent a head, regardless of head thickness or stick weight.

I expect people aren't using metal sticks on anything but their pads, but who knows.

Ditto that!

Coated Ambassadors over clear Ambassadors are a great combo to let your toms sing!

M

MinnGuy

Glad I could be of assistance. In reverse, I now know that you have a really short fuse and like to call people nasty names when you get slightly frustrated that your "teaching" methodology is offhand questioned. We apparently disagree.
There you go again with the assumptions - wrong again, of course.
I decided to participate in this thread because, while I think Remo Ambassadors make fine tom batters, they may not be for everyone, and used my experience with my student years ago to illustrate that point. I was, frankly, surprised and dumbfounded at your response - not angry - and expected to see a smiley of some sort. When there wasn't one and I realized that you were serious, I thought "what is wrong with someone who takes a thread about the suitability of Remo Ambassadors as tom batters and tries to turn it into a critique of the teaching style of someone that they know absolutely nothing about?" When you continued with your ignorant comments and assumptions about my teaching style, that's when I got mad and posted what I did. And you know what? I don't regret it in the least. Now that a day or two has passed I'm no longer mad; at this point I just feel sorry for you. Good luck.

Dr_Watso

Platinum Member
No need to get all riled up again. That will only lead you to more of the childish name calling you already got into after about a dozen posts on the forum here. Horrible teachers that are really unqualified are very common around here, you may or may not be one, but when I see what looks like bad advice, I'm keen to point that out. It seemed that the implied "solution" to your students problem was just to buy heavier heads rather than fix his bad technique and tuning deficiencies that are the root of that problem. If that's not the case and you immediately helped him play with more solid technique so he wouldn't go through heads so fast and sound better at the same time, then there's really nothing to get all ruffled for two days about and we're on the same page. As you yourself mention, we get a lot of new players around here, and when we allow bad advice or what seems like bad advice to slip without clarification it can be damaging to the new players here looking for good tips.

M

MinnGuy

No need to get all riled up again. That will only lead you to more of the childish name calling you already got into after about a dozen posts on the forum here. Horrible teachers that are really unqualified are very common around here, you may or may not be one, but when I see what looks like bad advice, I'm keen to point that out. It seemed that the implied "solution" to your students problem was just to buy heavier heads rather than fix his bad technique and tuning deficiencies that are the root of that problem. If that's not the case and you immediately helped him play with more solid technique so he wouldn't go through heads so fast and sound better at the same time, then there's really nothing to get all ruffled for two days about and we're on the same page. As you yourself mention, we get a lot of new players around here, and when we allow bad advice or what seems like bad advice to slip without clarification it can be damaging to the new players here looking for good tips.
Just keep telling yourself that. Good luck.

Stroman

Platinum Member
You and Watso got off on the wrong foot, but you'd be wrong to dismiss him. He's been around here a long time and in my estimation has proven himself to be knowledgeable, helpful, and a good player.

You guys work it out (or not) between you, but don't dismiss someone just because your communication styles and personalities are different and caused friction.

And welcome aboard. :)

M

Matt Bo Eder

I was waiting for this to settle down. I suppose it won't. You being the new guy here, you must know all this does for you is make you look touchy. Take it easy over there - after all, you're a teacher right? I thought the first thing you realize when teaching is that there aren't any hard and fast rules, especially when it comes to art forms. You gotta be happy.

lsits

Gold Member
I hit my snare drums as hard (if not harder) than my toms. I use tha Aquarian version of the Ambassador on them with no denting.

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
As a side note-I really like the sound of those brushes. 10 mil plastic is great and if you dent it just keep beating them thin (like a hand hammered cymbal) till it's 7 mil and it's time to replace the head. LOL. Seriously though I've seen some orchestral percussionist refuse to change their snare head-like they are hand hammering it to perfection over the years-told me it's been on for years. I'm like WTH???

rmac86

Thanks guys for all your suggestions, I actually ended up going with coated vintage emperors as the tom batters lol! Story below:

Basically I was strapped for time (had a gig coming up imminently), and had driven approx 100+ miles to find a stockist of Remo heads. It turned out there were no coated Ambassadors in any other size than 14". I could have went with clears but really wanted the vintage look for the bop kit. So my choices were to either just take a hotch-potch mix of Evans heads (which I hate), or diversify a bit. In the end I went for coated vintage emperors, which I have tried in the past and loved so thought I can't go far wrong. Fitted the emps and now I must say the lovely birch wood drums really sing, such an improvement over the stock Remo UT heads!

I will definitely use coated Ambassadors when it's next time for my next heads change. I guess that's the beauty of our profession - we get to experiment as far as our musical tastes (and wallets!) will allow us!

And to the two individuals guys that started arguing - please resolve this ASAP, a public forum is no place for schoolboy antics and name calling etc. so let's keep it professional, yeah?

Thanks,

R

M

MinnGuy

And to the two individuals guys that started arguing - please resolve this ASAP, a public forum is no place for schoolboy antics and name calling etc. so let's keep it professional, yeah?

Thanks,

R
You start a thread, you take your chances. That's what a public forum is about.
"Please resolve this ASAP?" Why? It appears you got the answers to the questions you asked, which is great. If it doesn't get resolved, how does that affect you?
A scolding from a forum member? Please.

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
You start a thread, you take your chances. That's what a public forum is about.
"Please resolve this ASAP?" Why? It appears you got the answers to the questions you asked, which is great. If it doesn't get resolved, how does that affect you?
A scolding from a forum member? Please.
Just drop it dude......for christ sake. It's neither endearing or productive......it really isn't.

I'm sure you have a lot to add here. I'm looking as forward to your input as I do to Watso's. Time to cut the antagonistic bullshit and just get to it I reckon.

PHIL2016

I prefer clear ambassadors on mounted toms and floor toms because the tone it bright and full with killer attack, for snare, I like the coated ambassador, the sound is darker and a bit more muted , the stick action is better controlled and brushes speak clear and bright.

M

MinnGuy

Just drop it dude......for christ sake. It's neither endearing or productive......it really isn't.

I'm sure you have a lot to add here. I'm looking as forward to your input as I do to Watso's. Time to cut the antagonistic bullshit and just get to it I reckon.
Well, dude, it was dropped. The thread had reached a happy and productive conclusion, there had been no antagonistic posts from either of us, then the originator of the thread went into parent mode. That didn't sit well with me, and I let him know it. It's a public forum.
As far as I'm concerned I'm done with this thread. Fair enough?

rmac86

Well, dude, it was dropped. The thread had reached a happy and productive conclusion, there had been no antagonistic posts from either of us, then the originator of the thread went into parent mode. That didn't sit well with me, and I let him know it. It's a public forum.
As far as I'm concerned I'm done with this thread. Fair enough?
Well I apologise for going into "parent mode", whatever that is, I was merely suggesting you behave in a more gentlemanly manor. If you can't do that then I suggest you don't post here.

To the moderators - is there some way to maybe close this forum to stop further arguments and thread hijacking?

chris J

Just my 2 cents:
I like coated Ambaasadors for tom batters, I've used them on a 12" and 13" Rogers tom tom set for years.
I've often used them on my Ayotte set too.
They are just as valid a choice as Pinstripes or G2 or Emperors.
They are just another flavour of tom batter.

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
To the moderators - is there some way to maybe close this forum to stop further arguments and thread hijacking?
As long as Minn & Dr cool it, it's fine. Maybe that kind of bickering is acceptable in a presidential debate, but we can be more civil here.

Bermuda

Defender

Silver Member
As long as Minn & Dr cool it, it's fine. Maybe that kind of bickering is acceptable in a presidential debate, but we can be more civil here.

Bermuda
HAHAHA... Well said!

After all, we're drummers and well, duh! DRUMMERS ROCK!!