Remo Ambassador Head with Remo Emperor Head

Sammck3

I have a ambassador batter head for my snare and a remo emperor snare side. Will these go well together or is it going to sound god awful. An answer to this would be much appreciated before I go and fit them to the snare and find out the hard way...

Get an actual snare side head. There's quite a few different brands to choose from. They have a thinner mil then "normal" drums heads
I’ve heard this actually from a friend however it was actually sold to me as a snare side. However I may have to buy a ambassador snare side after you confirming this. Much appreciated, Sam :)

I've tried 2, 3, and 5-mil snare side heads and I only like the 3-mil ones. The 2-mil heads really weren't bad but the 5-mil made every snare I tried it on sound like a cardboard box.

Unlike some, I have actually had decent luck with the Emperor-weight snare heads, but it's really a matter of taste and application.

If you have it, try it. Only your ears will tell you if it's for you.

... and don't sleep on an actual Ambassador (10-mil) as a snare side head.... i bought a Ludwig Breakbeats snare off a guy for parts and he had a coated Vintage Emperor (2- 7.5 mil plies) with a coated Ambassador (10 mil) on the bottom

i'm doing a recording test of about 30 snares i have, and decided to give the Breakbeats a go as it was... and loved it

it might be too much if its just your main snare, but as a side snare it had a pretty good bark; reminded me of this:

i switched the 10-mil to a 5-mil yesterday, but found i liked it better the way it was, so switched it back

Back