Remo Ambassador Head with Remo Emperor Head

Sammck3

I have a ambassador batter head for my snare and a remo emperor snare side. Will these go well together or is it going to sound god awful. An answer to this would be much appreciated before I go and fit them to the snare and find out the hard way...

Good Karma

Get an actual snare side head. There's quite a few different brands to choose from. They have a thinner mil then "normal" drums heads

Sammck3

Get an actual snare side head. There's quite a few different brands to choose from. They have a thinner mil then "normal" drums heads
I’ve heard this actually from a friend however it was actually sold to me as a snare side. However I may have to buy a ambassador snare side after you confirming this. Much appreciated, Sam :)

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
I've tried 2, 3, and 5-mil snare side heads and I only like the 3-mil ones. The 2-mil heads really weren't bad but the 5-mil made every snare I tried it on sound like a cardboard box.

Stroman

Platinum Member
Unlike some, I have actually had decent luck with the Emperor-weight snare heads, but it's really a matter of taste and application.

If you have it, try it. Only your ears will tell you if it's for you.

davezedlee

... and don't sleep on an actual Ambassador (10-mil) as a snare side head.... i bought a Ludwig Breakbeats snare off a guy for parts and he had a coated Vintage Emperor (2- 7.5 mil plies) with a coated Ambassador (10 mil) on the bottom

i'm doing a recording test of about 30 snares i have, and decided to give the Breakbeats a go as it was... and loved it

it might be too much if its just your main snare, but as a side snare it had a pretty good bark; reminded me of this:

i switched the 10-mil to a 5-mil yesterday, but found i liked it better the way it was, so switched it back