Remembering Elvin on this 8th anniversary of his passing

A

Anthony Amodeo

....just a small tribute to a wonderful person and musician

I can't believe its been 8 years

besides being a kind person and an amazing musician Elvin was amazingly funny ......with an an extremely dry sense of humor where you would sometimes not know whether he was serious or not he would say some of the funniest things

sometimes when introducing his wife to people he would say in that gravely yet articulate tone...."I'd like you to meet my drum tech ....."

I've carried a pair of sticks he gave me in my stick bag for over 15 years ....even had people offer me money for them .....and every time they do I tell them exactly what Elvin told me when he handed them to me....."you never know when you will need a little fire wood "

...if anyone has an Elvin story they would like to share I would love to hear them

some great footage of a great man...miss you everyday Elvin
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6v9C3TAOL8&feature=related

NerfLad

Silver Member
Thank you for posting the documentary on him! I didn't know the whole thing was up on youtube. That's amazing that you got to spend so much time with him!

I'll definitely have to get out Speak No Evil later today!

P

plangentmusic

I've got an Elvin story -- told to me by the man himself when I studied with him about 30 years ago.

New years eve and the band got bumped from a gig. The John Coltrane quartet with no gig on NYE!

Anyway, they all went to the hotel and all night long, all Elvin heard was Trane practicing in his room. The next morning Elvin woke up and went into John's room. He was lying on the bed, still in his suit. There was a bottle of scotch half empty on the dresser. And his horn was still around his neck. He was motionless. Elvin nudged him to see if he was okay.

Coltrane blinked his eyes a few times -- sat up at the end of his bed -- and just started practicing all over again.

A

Anthony Amodeo

I've got an Elvin story -- told to me by the man himself when I studied with him about 30 years ago.

New years eve and the band got bumped from a gig. The John Coltrane quartet with no gig on NYE!

Anyway, they all went to the hotel and all night long, all Elvin heard was Trane practicing in his room. The next morning Elvin woke up and went into John's room. He was lying on the bed, still in his suit. There was a bottle of scotch half empty on the dresser. And his horn was still around his neck. He was motionless. Elvin nudged him to see if he was okay.

Coltrane blinked his eyes a few times -- sat up at the end of his bed -- and just started practicing all over again.

hahahahaha....that is fantastic

thank you for sharing

Mad About Drums

Pollyanna's Agent
...if anyone has an Elvin story they would like to share I would love to hear them]
Sorry GVD, I don't have a story to tell, exept that he's a wonderful drummer, but you do, and I love hearing them.

Wonderful story... makes you wonder, what am I doing on the internet talking in a forum, I should be playing instead...

Garvin

Pioneer Member
I remember where I was when I found out he died... That was actually the first musician that I can remember truly being upset about losing. I think I had planned on seeing a show later that year and was in true disbelief that I'd never get to see him perform live. I can't believe that was 8 years ago! Definitely a great drummer who is missed. Thanks for the reminder.

Elvin is a fountain of inspiration for me. I am really grateful that people are sharing some stories about a man whose music has given so much to so many. I only wish I had my own stories to contribute.

Chunky

Silver Member
It's been 8 years already? are you kidding me?! Feels like only a couple of years ago all the magazines dedicated issues to him.

Time flies!

It's sad.

Mighty_Joker

Silver Member
Thanks for those stories. I was too young to know of him eight years ago, but these days I truly miss his playing. He is a continual inspiration.