Religious Discussions on Drummerworld

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
You think you described 'salvation' where others would say you described an acid trip.

And spare us PLEASE with your 'real musicians follow God' stuff, you haven't a single bit of fact to back that up. I find some of the best musicians are non-believers, because they are lead by pure and total freedom, and its MY BELIEF that good art can only be produced with NO CONSTRAINTS placed on it. If religion does anything, it places constraints on people. And that IS FACT.
This is an example of what I was speaking about when I spoke off offending people. I also said that we should think before we post. Does this type of post have a place here. Would many parents want their young children to be reading this post?

Ironcobra

Platinum Member
I don't think we should be discussing this. Nobody is going to say "OK you're right, I'm wrong".

Personally, I think if you want to believe in something, go for it, but keep it far away from people who don't want to hear it.

Deathmetalconga

Platinum Member
You think you described 'salvation' where others would say you described an acid trip.

And spare us PLEASE with your 'real musicians follow God' stuff, you haven't a single bit of fact to back that up. I find some of the best musicians are non-believers, because they are lead by pure and total freedom, and its MY BELIEF that good art can only be produced with NO CONSTRAINTS placed on it. If religion does anything, it places constraints on people. And that IS FACT.
I believe you use all caps too much, that is my belief.

In any case, music, religion and spirituality go back a long way, tens of thousands of years, long before upstart religions like Christianity. Whether God exists or not, billions of people the world over, throughout history and today, view music as a way of expressing cosmic forces, glorifying God, attaining spiritual peace, etc. At the same time, people use music to sell deodorant and NASCAR shows.

None of this is good or bad - just simply some of the uses to which people put music. Odd-time ratamacues and cymbals felts are important topics, to be sure, but some of us here also want to respectfully discuss the intersection of music, religion and spirituality.

To paraphrase you without the caps: "It is my belief that understanding can be produced when no constraints are placed on respectful discussion."

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
I just welcomed a new young drummer to this site. I gave him advice on lessons and kit buying. Should I have given him religious advice also? Perhaps I should have told him that God doesn't exist.

zambizzi

Platinum Member
Why? Why is this discussion happening on a drum forum? Why is there a thread about a thread...about religious discussions?

I don't understand the need. I can see why topics like this are taboo here. It's the old adage that politics and religion are the two things you don't talk about in polite company.

Geeze folks, lighten up a bit.

M

Mediocrefunkybeat

I'm more than happy to discuss religion or politics with anyone, any time - but here is not the place.

Deathmetalconga

Platinum Member
I just welcomed a new young drummer to this site. I gave him advice on lessons and kit buying. Should I have given him religious advice also? Perhaps I should have told him that God doesn't exist.
This adds to my suspicion that your original post on this thread was somewhat antagonistic. There are rational, respectful and useful ways to discuss the intersection between music, religion and spirituality, for those who are open to those kinds of discussions and wish to go there. If they don't want to go there, then I guess there's nothing more to discuss, is there now?

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
I think that it is time to end this thread. The point needed to be made and Bernhard and all the posters in this thread have made the point. There is no place on Drummerworld for religious and political statements. I wish to thank Bernhard and all who contributed. I'm going to stop posting to it now and slowly let it fade away. I didn't start this thread to antagonize, as has been suggested. I started this thread because I saw statements on other threads that offended people for their beliefs. I read the rules of this forum and I realised why they were there. That was my reason.

Last edited:

zambizzi

Platinum Member
I can entirely respect your distaste for topics like this here on DW now, Bernhard. I am guilty of starting politically-charged threads myself, in the past, and they usually end on a bad note.

I still think things like this can be discussed calmly, rationally, and respectfully but this thread wasn't started with those intentions.

I go back to the polite company comment - we're polite company here and some things just don't belong here, IMHO.

Deathmetalconga

Platinum Member
I can entirely respect your distaste for topics like this here on DW now, Bernhard. I am guilty of starting politically-charged threads myself, in the past, and they usually end on a bad note.

I still think things like this can be discussed calmly, rationally, and respectfully but this thread wasn't started with those intentions.

I go back to the polite company comment - we're polite company here and some things just don't belong here, IMHO.
The farther we get from Western music, the more we will stumble into the religious and spiritual aspects of music. From that perspecitve, limiting discussion of religion would limit discussion of music.

For example, there are recognized genres of Christian, Klezmer, Indian, Chinese, Afro-Cuban, Indonesian, Middle Eastern music, etc, that all have strong religious underpinnings. If you had a thread about "Playing in church" or "How to best play 'Shnirele Perle'" (klezmer classic song about the Jewish longing for the messianic age) you could not help but refer to the religious context and there have been such threads around here already. The Chinese concept of chi permeates their music, martial arts, medicine, architecture and religion, among other things.

Respect, understanding and avoiding pushing beliefs on anyone is key in any conversation, whether you're talking religion, politics or Beanie Baby collecting.

Steamer

Platinum Member
Having watched the tone of this latest related topic like the last one that got vaporized from view and seeing where this is going yet again time to get back to drummers and drums,cymbals etc.. and send this puppy to never never land once and for all IMO.

W

wy yung

I have noted of late that Christianity is being spoken about alot in drumming circles. Modern Drummer is beginning to look like the Christian science monitor. There is even a photo of Thomas Pridgen pointing to religious graffiti. I have no idea why this is happening. I feel the site does not need it. But I see people mentioning their god in posts that have nothing to do with the opening topic. Personally I feel that this is arrogance on the part of the poster who imposes his or her beliefs on others. And it is insulting to those who did not ask for it and who do not share the same beliefs.

Something I have never done here is speak about religion. And I'm a minister. But I wont impose it upon anyone. It does not belong.

(By the way, I don't practice.)

I feel if religious threads are not allowed, the same should be applied to people imposing religious beliefs in individual posts. But how to police it?

Deltadrummer

Platinum Member
This adds to my suspicion that your original post on this thread was somewhat antagonistic. There are rational, respectful and useful ways to discuss the intersection between music, religion and spirituality, for those who are open to those kinds of discussions and wish to go there. If they don't want to go there, then I guess there's nothing more to discuss, is there now?
it is kind of a quandry isn't it? You read guys like Chris Coleman, Brian Blade and the host of drummers for whom their religions background is an important aspect of their drumming because they've come up through the church. In American music, you cannot detach popular music from Pentacostal music (or Hebrew music, or Latin music from Voodoo religions.) The church is where the 'rock' comes from that put the rhythm in Rhythm and Blues. You read the lyrics of all the old blues guys, and all they talk about is "The end."

Lead belly's Ol' Hannah

Why don't you go down, ol' Hannah
Don't you rise no more
If you come up in the mornin'
Bring judgment sure

Stan warned me against discussing certain topics on the internet was just not a good idea. But I didn't believe him. It is a rough ride.

Last edited:

TheGroceryman

Silver Member
I, too think talking about religion in this forum is pointless and shouldnt be allowed. I mean the only provable fact about Christianity is that hundreds of millions of people believe in it. And talking about it on a drum forum and a couple people discrediting it by saying you cant prove any of it is not going keep people from practicing it. It is hard (really!) to make someone believe differently about a view they have been practicing since they were born

Status
Not open for further replies.