Relatively Simple, Down-Tempo Jazz Selections

helmetface

Alright guys, I consider myself a pretty worthy fan of Jazz music, however, my vocabulary and knowledge of artists is incredibly limited. I can turn on NPR or other independent stations that have "Jazz hours" and really dig it hard. However, if you were to ask me who I enjoyed, I could probably only list 6 jazz artists..

I am looking for suggestions for Jazz bands, whose drummer isn't just playing that normal triplet based hi-hat and rather empty snare and bass. Not to say that isn't appropriate at times, but I am looking to learn some spicier shit!

Odd, off beat snare hits, possibly relatively light on the bass drum, lots of hi-hat/ride work.

Try to keep it somewhat easy, I'm still in the learning process, but I am looking to get a better grasp of incorporating my triplets into playing and I figure Jazz is a great way to go about it.

Thank You

helmetface

I was joking, but that's not to say the OP can't learn anything from it

In all seriousness, if you haven't tried 'Kind of Blue' by Miles Davis yet, you should try that
Haha thanks for the serious reply Ecclerose,

I need to find a good version of this, most of the youtube links I found you could barely make out the hi hats, let alone the rest of the kick, but I will search.

Keep 'em coming!

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
I'm not clear on the request - you want spicier stuff but you're playing level isn't quite there yet? The normal jazz time patterns aren't enough?

helmetface

I'm not clear on the request - you want spicier stuff but you're playing level isn't quite there yet? The normal jazz time patterns aren't enough?
I understand my request was a little confusing, maybe stating between intermediate and beginner would be a little more accurate?

Beginner with flare? Haha

RollingStone000

Silver Member
I'd have to say Kind of Blue is that quintessential album for playing along with brushes. I'll toss out the Ramsey Lewis trio and maybe some Louis Armstrong, should help bring some structure into your jazz.

toddbishop

Platinum Member
I dunno- it's hard to tell exactly what you're after. Here are some listening recommendations, though:

John Coltrane - Coltrane - with Elvin Jones
Thelonious Monk - It's Monk's Time - with Ben Riley
Sonny Rollins - Freedom Suite - with Max Roach
Miles Davis - Milestones - with Philly Joe Jones
Pat Metheny - Rejoicing - with Billy Higgins
Oliver Nelson - Blues and the Abstract Truth - with Roy Haynes

helmetface

I dunno- it's hard to tell exactly what you're after. Here are some listening recommendations, though:

Thanks todd! Several of those artists I am familiar with, especially Thelonious Monk.

I know my request is quite broad, my main dilemma here is the fact that I know so few Jazz artists.

The vocab journey begins!

Thanks for your suggestions guys

Mark_S

Silver Member
I was joking, but that's not to say the OP can't learn anything from it

In all seriousness, if you haven't tried 'Kind of Blue' by Miles Davis yet, you should try that
Heh, freaky, I'm listening to that right now. This is my introduction to jazz and very much enjoying it.

eddypierce

These are all great suggestions. Coltrane Play the Blues is also a good one, especially for Elvin's slow, rolling triplet comping on "Blues To Elvin."

Ed