Reinforced Symbol bag

jimzo

ha ! made ya's look! ;-)

okay, For gigging, going the extra mile on protection; Who would make a 24" padded cymbal bag on vitamins; that has a hard-type bottom (that would be opposite the handle). Something that would prevent an accidental edge drop where it would normally get damaged. Would I have to fabricate something on the bottom that is inside the padded bag, or is this an aftermarket product somewhere? Looking for ideas, thanks.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
What kind of symbols will you be putting in the bag. Automobile insignia, grammar punctuation?

jimzo

lol !
hahaaa, it worked ! !

Well, let's see... I can't fit the gong, so a full set of Paiste 2002's. I was thinking something like a shaped hardshell, cut in half. Or perhaps cut only the one side in half so there is a full back and half an openface? IDK?

BertTheDrummer

Gold Member
Something that would prevent an accidental edge drop where it would normally get damaged.
Maybe just don't drop your cymbals?

Or I guess you could always grab like an SKB Cymbal Vault.

Edit: One option I just thought of is the Mono Cymbal Bag. It has their "boot" system on the bottom. I have that on the bottom of my bass guitar bag, and you can drop the thing from like a couple feet up and it just bounces with no issue.

This is what Mono says about it: "There's nothing worse than that sound - you know, the sound you hear when you set your cymbal bag down a little too hard on the concrete. Yeah. No more. The Cymbal Case features The Boot™ - a contoured ABS panel that keeps all of your cymbals centered and resting above the thick base padding."

Last edited:

jimzo

"...This is what Mono says about it: "There's nothing worse than that sound - you know, the sound you hear when you set your cymbal bag down a little too hard on the concrete. Yeah. No more. The Cymbal Case features The Boot™ - a contoured ABS panel that keeps all of your cymbals centered and resting above the thick base padding."
Dropping cymbals on their edge is not a good thing, but (with close calls) sometimes a someone helps with load out and they might be a bit tired from the evening, like us all.
Yes, something like the boot system sounds ideal ! I will follow up on this lead. Thanks BTD!

jimzo

Thanks hippy chip. I checked them out ! I have seen a vid on the Mono cymbal case and it is perfect for what I need. There should be a holiday promotional sales and/or coupons somewhere on these. I'll track one down and ...
and call it a day.
:-D

Can count on Drummerworld members to help out ! Thanks guys.

newoldie

Silver Member
Thanks hippy chip. I checked them out ! I have seen a vid on the Mono cymbal case and it is perfect for what I need. There should be a holiday promotional sales and/or coupons somewhere on these. I'll track one down and ... :-D

That Mono 22 Cymbal case seems to have everything I'd need, reading some Amazon reviews that picked over a few issues, definitely a top choice to consider at this point.

Prawny

Don't know if you can get them across the pond but the Hardcase cymbal cases are great. I used to have two, one of them fell out of my car on the way back from the studio when the bootlid popped open. It had a big scuff on the edge but the cymbals were completely unharmed.

The newer ones look even better than the ones I had, I'm going to get one of the trolley cases when I've got the cash spare. So maybe never.

vyacheslav

Those Mono cases are nice, but for that price, why not buy a hard shell case?

Also, for extra protection in any cymbal bag, get a bike tire. You only need the tire "skeleton" and not the inflatable inner tube that goes with it. On a 22" tire, you can cut it half and have enough for two bags. Place it on the inside of the bag and make sure the cymbals are inside the tire. It not only provides protection and cushion, but it also reinforces the bottom of the bag and keeps the cymbals from cutting through the bottom of the bag. For even more protection, you can line the inside of the tire with foam, or an old towel or t-shirt.

Also, another good tip is that when placing the cymbals inside the bag, use a 3/8" carriage screw with a 1/2" fender washer at the bottom (the same size as a bottom hi-hat cymbal seat metal washer), so that the fender washer fits over the "square" part of the carriage screw (directly underneath the head of the screw). Place a felt on the 1/2" fender washer and stack your cymbals, bell side down and largest to smallest, on to the screw. Use a regular 3/8 washer and another felt on top, and secure it with a 3/8" wing nut. This way, it aligns all your bells like a hard case does. It also gives you more room in the bag for more cymbals, because the bells are aligned. Finally, it does provide extra protection, because if the bag does get dropped or falls, only the outer cymbal is going to be contacted; all the other cymbals are "floating" on the screw. Typically a 3" long carriage screw works, but you can get one longer or shorter to suit your needs.

Following these two tips above, I've never had any problems.

I will say again: If you can get a hard shell case for the same price (or less) than a soft bag, always go with a hard case. It's a no brainer.

V