Rehearsing On Your Own/Play Alongs with Bad Tempo

KamaK

Platinum Member
I would love it if someone developed a simple app that allowed me to generate a beat-map on a pad and flex a not-to-metronome track to a constant BPM. The producer/arranger in me needs this tool far more than the drummer/instrumentalist, and doing it by hand with GB/Logic FLEX is maddening.

On the flip side, there are songs I love that take artistic liberties with BPM.. Example:

Dr_Watso

Platinum Member
I figure a 3-4 bpm shift is "human"...meaning that the song has to breath....bigger than that is where the band members, and audience members, will get "the look", like, "what just happened".
So, it depends.

You can speed up or slow down quite a bit without alarming anyone, but the key is to do it slowly. A sudden jump of 10 bpm is more noticeable than a slow progression of 20.

Honestly in most situations even keeping things within 3-4 bpm isn't easy, because it's not really necessary, humans don't tend to notice that much.

Truly the thing we need to be most careful about is wavering the tempo around or making sudden jumps or drags in tempo. Those are both very noticeable to the average listener.

If heads are nodding and butts are shaking, literally nobody cares if things speed up/slow down a little as long as it's not drastic.

DrumDoug

I can tell there's not a lot of people here who play classical music or show tunes with a pit orchestra. The tempos fluctuate all over the place. You have to watch the conductor, listen to the other player and just go with it. I tried to find a quote I read once by a famous composer who said that if two bars of his piece were the same tempo, he was doing it wrong. I understand getting frustrated if the tempo goes completely off the rails, but if you're getting upset because the song sped up by 4bpm, you're not listening to the music, you're just focused inward on yourself. I would rather hear a band play tight together but speed up a little, then listen to group that can't groove because everyone is fighting one another over the tempo. We don't practice to a metronome to get our time perfect, that's inhumanly possible and really doesn't sound good. We practice to a metronome so that when we play with other people, we start off on common ground, and as the musical conversation ebbs and flows, moves and breathes, we have a common place to come back to.

Mongrel

Silver Member
I can tell there's not a lot of people here who play classical music or show tunes with a pit orchestra. The tempos fluctuate all over the place. You have to watch the conductor, listen to the other player and just go with it. I tried to find a quote I read once by a famous composer who said that if two bars of his piece were the same tempo, he was doing it wrong. I understand getting frustrated if the tempo goes completely off the rails, but if you're getting upset because the song sped up by 4bpm, you're not listening to the music, you're just focused inward on yourself. I would rather hear a band play tight together but speed up a little, then listen to group that can't groove because everyone is fighting one another over the tempo. We don't practice to a metronome to get our time perfect, that's inhumanly possible and really doesn't sound good. We practice to a metronome so that when we play with other people, we start off on common ground, and as the musical conversation ebbs and flows, moves and breathes, we have a common place to come back to.
You should cut and save your post....in fact, we all should. Print it out and hang it all over our homes.

I was JUST thinking...."I wonder if anyone ever put Live BPM up against a classical piece." "I wonder what Berstein's time was like." Etc. lol

I think there is an AI spirit out there that is invading our musical culture and creating tempo anxiety...like musical panic attacks or something. A subversive conspiracy to lock everyone into step at 120bpm so we can receive our orders from the mothership....lol.

What is the heart rate of a washing machine I wonder?

While we are at it-Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?

Lol