Regret of selling gear

SomeBadDrummer

Platinum Member
Another thread mentioned regret of selling a cymbal, which prompted me to lament the fact that I sold my first 'real' kit years ago. It was an early 80's Tama Royalstar - not exactly high end, but spent many thousands of hours behind the kit. Had all Titan hardware and Zildjian A cymbals. The photo isn't my old kit, but is identical.

Sold the entire kit and caboodle about 20 years ago to a second cousin who still has them. Since I was not playing professionally at that point and we had three young children at the time, simply needed the money more than the drums at the time.

What have you sold/given away that you wish you still had?

Attachments

• Royalstar.PNG
    Royalstar.PNG
    727 KB · Views: 10
I've bought and sold a lot of gear, but I can't say that I regret getting rid of anything so far.

Probably the dumbest sale I've ever made was a 22x16, 18x14, 16x16, 14x14, 8x12, Ayotte wood hoop, silver sparkle with black inlays and a Keplinger, to boot. I can't remember why on earth I sold it.

Second dumbest was selling a Canopus RFM 10/13/16/22 in sunburst finish.

As for cymbals? The two dumbest were that I had an amazing set of old Ks AND an amazing set of Spizzichinos that I sold. Should've kept one or the other. I had tried out a bunch of both cymbals and really had perfect sets.

If I had enough space (and money...) at the time, I would have kept a few drumkits, mainly a 2002 Yamaha Maple Custom Absolute in Cherry Wood finish, a 2007 Tama Starclassic Bubinga in Antique Natural Burst (not so much for the finish, but for the sound and amazing craftsmanship) and a 2005 Tama Starclassic Performer (birch only) in Blue Galaxy Fade. All of these were smaller setups than I usually prefer, but I kind of miss them since they were all such good quality and sounded awesome. Unfortunately I made less money on my work at the time I had them, and had to sell them to pay off bills and such.... Today I would happily have stored them if I could. Don't think I miss too many cymbals, maybe a couple of the HHX cymbals and some Paiste Signatures I used to have...

I've only ever sold gear out of necessity. It can all be replaced. There is really no regret, just some initial disappointment that fades.

I am hopefully in a place now where I wont have to sell anything ever again. I like my current gear and want to keep it.

I did have a Washburn V with a limited edition finish that was really cool looking. I wish I still had that guitar, but I dont regret it.

I regret selling an old junky Frankenstein kit when I moved many years ago. I'd be using it today if I had it. But I was moving, and didn't have room in the car for it, and my neighbors at the time probably would not tolerate drum noise.

A wise old drummer once said to me that if you fall on hard times sell your drums, but never sell your cymbals. I’ve sold and given away drum kits when space prevented me from keeping them but I’ve never regretted it (I did regret donating a drum kit to an ungrateful educational establishment once, but only because I wish I’d done more research to find a more appreciative and worthy recipient in the local area). I’ve also managed to keep all of my snares and cymbals over the years, many of which are now approaching vintage status! (y) :)

A wise old drummer once said to me that if you fall on hard times sell your drums, but never sell your cymbals. I’ve sold and given away drum kits when space prevented me from keeping them but I’ve never regretted it (I did regret donating a drum kit to an ungrateful educational establishment once, but only because I wish I’d done more research to find a more appreciative and worthy recipient in the local area). I’ve also managed to keep all of my snares and cymbals over the years, many of which are now approaching vintage status! (y) :)
That is very cool that you were able to hang on to your gear! Ingratitude is intolerable.

When I got back into drumming I bought some inexpensive cymbals that I later upgraded to my personal favorite Zildjian A’s and traded/sold the temporary/cheap pies. I have all the cymbals I want now, and exactly what I want so I really don’t even look at other cymbals anymore. Except I might one day get a China, and would love to own a gong. But since they are both items that get used only occasionally I probably won’t lol.

I regret selling my 70's 6.5x14 black beauty. Dirt! Cheap..in fact I'd be ostrisized from the forum if I told you. It was advertised in modern drummer with a VERY famous drummer on the cover. I cringe when I see it but mrinsanepolacks post made me a bit less um....cringey.
When you say you would ostracized, I think you are being unfairly prejudgmental of the forum participants. Probably something like = one rim? We’ve all done things like that… Cough it up @Bozozoid! ??$

I am thinking about selling my Tama Starclassic Performer B/B 4pc shell pack but I am also thinking I will regret it lol.
Oh my, what finish???

I had beautiful a set of piano black Yamaha RCs, I very much regret selling them.
I have a piano black Yamaha Stage Custom snare that I got from @someguy01 a while back, it is a great 10 lug snare drum. Surprisingly good build quality, hardware and sound for the price point. :)

Because 2 weeks ago I bought this. 2007 MIJ all birch Starclassic Performer with a limited edition finish (only 30 made).
Get Out! That kit is simply gorgeous dude. No other words.. 😛
edit: I will be happy to store your old kit as long as you want if you’re okay with me playing em!

Back