Registered Drummer

shadowlorde

Can you imagine if studios or clubs started to require all the bands be registered to perform? Bands like U2, Fleetwood Mac or the Ramones might never have got off the ground.

i don't see a problem with that ... actually .. i think it'd be a great thing

Anon La Ply

Renegade
Fleetwood Mac have covered a lot of ground, Shadow - or should I say Registered Musician #31424878 :) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQ8AcEYTEFY

Great band IMO - liked a lot of mid period Mac tunes from Rumours and Tusk too :p

And DED's right about it limiting opportunities for players. Still recommend two paradiddles and off to bed for young Bon.

Registered drummer FFS lol ... with a bureaucratic mind like that you should be making yourself a manwich, mon :)

A

Anthony Amodeo

I live in a warehouse loft in Brooklyn. It's on the edge of bushwick, Brooklyn right by the Wilson stop of the L train and there are tons of private jazz, electronic shows out here. It may be a bit farther out into Brooklyn than the location your referring to but regardless from Bedford ave all the way out here there is a ton of new exciting music going on. Brooklyn is becoming the next 52nd street (or "the street" as they called it in the 40's) of NYC. I play electronic dance music out here (drum and bass/ dub stuff) but we do it in AABA 32 form and take solos like its jazz. It's really exciting. Check out moon hooch, check out my stuff, check out Jonny Arco's group and I'll check out your stuff. Link up on face book and maybe we can play a show together at my spot. www.facebook.com/Zach.hopper is my personal.
hell yeah....sounds good

lets make some noise

Midnite Zephyr

Platinum Member
No way, Jose - I ain't gonna be no number!

Midnight, you have had a brain fade (happens to the best of us) and I second Dr Worm's advice ...

;-)
I just gave it a name. Actually, I was thinking more on the lines of what Bermuda was talking about. I never heard of N.A.R.D. It sounds like a great idea to me. I know, registration sounds a bit obscene, but I didn't mean with a Gov't. No way, Jose. I meant with an organization. Like NARD.

That jogged my memory - back in the day, there was the N.A.R.D. Essentially, those members judged other members by ear, so that the 'standard' for rolls, flams, ruffs, etc., was passed down to new members who would eventually judge prospective members.

It started in the early '30s, founded by the likes of Roy Knapp, George Stone (Sr.), J Burns Moore, William Ludwig, and nine other contemporary.drummers of the day. By 1937 membership was in the hundreds, and included Gene Krupa, Fred Hoey, Frank Arsenault, George Way, Wm Ludwig Jr., Ralph Eames, and probably many more names I should recognize (I happen to have a Jan 1937 membership roster.)

Membership requirement was a test playing the (original) 13 rudiments: long roll, 5 stroke roll, 7 stroke roll, flam, flam accent, flam paradiddle, flamacue, ruff, single drag, double drag, double paradiddle, single ratamacue, and triple ratamacue. Each rudiment had to be played open, close, and open, on a drum, while standing (basically, marching or orchestral style.) Tempo was at least 132bpm. Any member 18 or over could be a judge and examine new applicants. The object of the N.A.R.D. was to "further and promote standard rudiments by personal contact." Once in, you were a member of the Thirteen Club. Also, no membership fee or dues were required.

I'm not sure when the N.A.R.D. became inactive or forgotten, but I was aware of it in the '60s when I started taking lessons. But I imagine that membership in the organization spoke volumes about ability, and members probably received preferrential treatment at auditions.

Bermuda

PS, that stands for National Association of Rudimental Drummers. :)
That's a great bit of information. Thank you, Bermuda. I did learn something good in this thread. I just got off on the wrong foot. So to speak. Ya, being a member of N.A.R.D. is something I would have to aspire to. That would be something cool to put on a drummer's resume.

No. It wouldn't be cool.
Ha!

It would not be cool to be a "registered drummer"... at all. Why should someone else decide if your artistic choices are valid?
As far as getting work, your playing skill (or lack thereof) will be evident and the absence of letters after your name is not going to change that.
Would it be cool to be on the N.A.R.D. member's registration? Registration is not a bad word, or is it? I mean, bride's have registries at stores for their wedding so you can see what to get them.

Thank you, Shadow. It just sounded like an interesting topic (to me) perhaps to kick around a little.