Reggae and Jazz Drumming

why speechless?

if you think playing jazz is about chops you obviously know absolutely nothing about the style and dont play it......

at least I hope you dont play it and think its about chops.......that would make you grossly misinformed and an absolute nightmare to play with

period

Okay, to be a jazz drummer you have to have a little coordination between your four limbs. I put coordination under the chops umbrella.

why speechless?

if you think playing jazz is about chops you obviously know absolutely nothing about the style and dont play it......

at least I hope you dont play it and think its about chops.......that would make you grossly misinformed and an absolute nightmare to play with

period

You said what I would have said. I'd hate to tell Jimmy Cobb that what he did with Miles wasn't jazz.

You said what I would have said. I'd hate to tell Jimmy Cobb that what he did with Miles wasn't jazz.

cant believe you just said that....

I erased a line in my response that said ....listen to the whole "kind of blue" album and point out these "chops" to me

great minds think alike

:)

Okay, to be a jazz drummer you have to have a little coordination between your four limbs. I put coordination under the chops umbrella.

you have to have coordination to play any style on drums

the definition of chops is absolutely a blurred one....but I would not consider coordination to be chops in any way shape or form

absolutely not

cant believe you just said that....

I erased a line in my response that said ....listen to the whole "kind of blue" album and point out these "chops" to me

great minds think alike

:)

It is an obvious example. I'm reluctant to claim a 'great mind'.

This dude clearly has jazz chops... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vziah0AS5xA

I don't understand the argument with that word. Con Struct is a smokin' jazz drummer as well. Am I taking crazy pills? Arguing words like "chops" and "jazz" has taken up gigabytes of space on this forum already. I think the OP just meant chops in the generic way we all think of that word. I refer to my use of certain computer programs in terms of having chops. Don't over-argue it.

This dude clearly has jazz chops... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vziah0AS5xA

I don't understand the argument with that word. Con Struct is a smokin' jazz drummer as well. Am I taking crazy pills? Arguing words like "chops" and "jazz" has taken up gigabytes of space on this forum already. I think the OP just meant chops in the generic way we all think of that word. I refer to my use of certain computer programs in terms of having chops. Don't over-argue it.

the argument is based on the folks who dont understand jazz for some reason and always feel like they need Buddy Rich hands and Steve Smiths feet to play the style

just not the case

chops is a subjective term and has many definitions ....but most often used in a context of having above average ability to play difficult combinations around the kit at high to extremely high speeds

but much like the words "groove" and "pocket" everyones definition is different

When my band got into reggae all I had listened to was Bob Marley & the Wailers but then I was introduced to this ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeMrqGvrJ4U ) awesome reggae band from Puerto Rico, their albums are a full blown groove and chops library. Give them a listen.

PS: My fav groove is Steppers: 4 on the bass drum, shuffle or straight 16ths on the hh and snare crosstick on 3.

Have Fun.
Benjamíc.

Uh huh....

Are you saying, my erudite friend, that playing jazz is not about technique?

drumming period is about technique .....so of course jazz playing is

this has nothing to do with needing to be chops Magee to play the style

two different things my good man......two different things

drumming period is about technique .....so of course jazz playing is

this has nothing to do with needing to be chops Magee to play the style

two different things my good man......two different things

So it takes technique to be a jazz drummer, but not chops.

Tell us, please, the difference between technique and chops and, furthermore, enlighten us as to which genre of music does require that the drummer has chops.

We've ruled jazz out. Jazz does not require chops. What genre of music, then, does?

Last edited:
So it takes technique to be a jazz drummer, but not chops.

Tell us, please, the difference between technique and chops and, furthermore, enlighten us as to which genre of music does require that the drummer has chops.

We've ruled jazz out. Jazz does not require chops. What genre of music, then, does?

listen close ok.....cus daddys not gonna hold yr hand yr whole life

technique is something you develop to avoid injury, to stay relaxed, to be able to access certain strokes, to be able to play clean notes, to be able to develop speed, dynamics, accuracy, and consistency, all while conserving energy

all of which you need to eventually have "chops"

which most of the time means being able to play difficult passages and combinations on a single drum, practice pad, or kit at high to extremely high speeds

no music "requires" chops..........anyone can sound good playing any style if they have a proper technique that works well for them , taste, good time, dynamics, and an authentic feel

if someone has serious chops.....then more power to them

but in no way shape or form do you need them to play music and sound good playing ANY certain style

now go away and read a book or something and stop following me around like a little puppy

hit me up if you want some lessons

[email protected]

sounds like you could use some brushing up

Moving on, I second the Cultura Profetica recommendation, it's not often I see a band from my hometown mentioned, they are a big deal over here, I've seen them live and indeed, the groove is enormous. The drummer has a degree from my current university! :)

Regarding reggae, Gil Sharone has done a masterclass session in the new MODERN DRUMMER FEST 2011, where he explains the principles behind different reggae beats in great detail. Studied in depth, reggae is a lot more than what most people think- downbeat on the 3 and a short timbale fill.

Technique is how you play, chops are what you play. The word chops always conjures preconceived ideas to me, so I'm not a big fan of the term. Ideally, (IMO) the player plays with a "reactive" style, basing their next beat on what the song is calling for, not inserting preconceived fill C at the end of beat B.

I have no set kind of thing that I use in different songs, I try and base my playing on what is happening right now, not some idea I worked out previously that I am trying to find a place for.
That's thinking backwards not forward....IMO

My vision is to be able to feel what the music needs, and be able to play it. But it has to be based on my feeling, not my intellect. I want the ability to play what I feel, with no losses in translation.

Regarding reggae, Gil Sharone has done a masterclass session in the new MODERN DRUMMER FEST 2011, where he explains the principles behind different reggae beats in great detail. Studied in depth, reggae is a lot more than what most people think- downbeat on the 3 and a short timbale fill.

This guys youtube videos are great! Definitely a top-notch reggae drummer.

Technique is how you play, chops are what you play. The word chops always conjures preconceived ideas to me, so I'm not a big fan of the term. Ideally, (IMO) the player plays with a "reactive" style, basing their next beat on what the song is calling for, not inserting preconceived fill C at the end of beat B.

I have no set kind of thing that I use in different songs, I try and base my playing on what is happening right now, not some idea I worked out previously that I am trying to find a place for.
That's thinking backwards not forward....IMO

My vision is to be able to feel what the music needs, and be able to play it. But it has to be based on my feeling, not my intellect. I want the ability to play what I feel, with no losses in translation.

but Larry there is nothing wrong with working on certain sticking combinations or passages around the kit to the point where muscle memory kicks in so that you can use it at will whenever the moment inspires you

isnt that what practice is all about ?

for me its all about filling up that imaginary "bag o' tricks" next to you so you can reach in at any point during a performance and pull out something nice and appropriate for the situation without even having to think about it ....

something well worked out so you are not just throwing your arms out there hoping it works

I have found that guys who work that way seem to repeat themselves on a regular basis and dont even know it

but Larry there is nothing wrong with working on certain sticking combinations or passages around the kit to the point where muscle memory kicks in so that you can use it at will whenever the moment inspires you

I would argue that this exactly what we are all talking about regardless of the genre of music. I would consider "sticking combinations or passages around the kit" are in fact "chops" and I would consider them every bit as important to jazz and reggae as I would any other style. It's all in the pursuit of developing vocabulary on the kit. I think vocabulary and chops as the one and the same.

I'm still baffled by this semantic argument.

Back