Regarding drum pedal.

bud7h4

Silver Member
No. A single chain pedal is just as good as a double chain pedal. I play metal with 20 year old single chain pedals without issue.

Yes two chains is stronger than one. It's still a chain. Drum pedals are the only chain operated thing I can think of with a double chain. This includes bicycles, motorcycles, and chainsaws. I have seen (and broken in some cases) cams, footboards, and uprights, but never a chain.
The reason for the double chain on pedals is their inherently small size.
But I think the double chain has more to do with the chains' durability than any added performance or better feel.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
The reason for the double chain on pedals is their inherently small size.
But I think the double chain has more to do with the chains' durability than any added performance or better feel.
They are small, yes. I would love to see someone break the chain. Not where it mounts, but the chain itself.

I'm not going to speculate on break strength of the chain. I do know I can stand on one of my pedals with both feet and jump up and down on it. Personally, the chain is the least of my worries.

bud7h4

Silver Member
They are small, yes. I would love to see someone break the chain. Not where it mounts, but the chain itself.

I'm not going to speculate on break strength of the chain. I do know I can stand on one of my pedals with both feet and jump up and down on it. Personally, the chain is the least of my worries.
There's about zero chance of breaking, but there's a small chance of twisting and stretching over the years. Doubling the chain eliminates that entirely. It's not a bad idea to add that simple and inexpensive feature. Cost-benefit principle.

Last edited:

Bernhard

Founder Drummerworld
Staff member
Ok - I see - it's getting political - so please stop the discussion...
But i can't resist to reply to Bo Eder about no postal problems in the US: I heard otherwise these days..

messi

Can anybody suggest me a longboard pedal with a smooth surface within 150$? I'm thinking of going for Tama hp310l. Please help

Ghede

Can anybody suggest me a longboard pedal with a smooth surface within 150$? I'm thinking of going for Tama hp310l. Please help
I have the Pearl P-930 (actually its double pedal version) and I'm very happy with it. Its surface is fairly smooth, it is a longboard (and you can make it shorter) and it has a removable cam. And it is usually slightly cheaper than the 310.

Chinmay147

I have the Pearl P-930 (actually its double pedal version) and I'm very happy with it. Its surface is fairly smooth, it is a longboard (and you can make it shorter) and it has a removable cam. And it is usually slightly cheaper than the 310.
Hello! Have read that the removable cam (orange coloured one) on many base drums touches the head, is this true ? Secondly a few people on a YouTube video about the pedal reviewed that this being single chain produces a lot of squeaking after a while of use. Us this so ?

Ghede

Hello! Have read that the removable cam (orange coloured one) on many base drums touches the head, is this true ? Secondly a few people on a YouTube video about the pedal reviewed that this being single chain produces a lot of squeaking after a while of use. Us this so ?
I have a quite recent Imperialstar and the cam is give or take almost 2 cm from the head. It is perhaps protruding a 2-3 mm from the pedal clamp, so if your drum hoop is not deep enough, I can imagine that the cam would touch the head before the clamp (for the records my hoop depth is 35 mm).
I have it for a few months but no squeaking of the chain. I use the cam, perhaps without it it behaves differently.
The only minimal squeaking is sometimes coming from the spring coils, but I have a loose setting so it could also be just for my specific configuration and however you really need to really pay a lot of attention to it to (sometimes) minimally hear it!

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
I broke the chain (Shimano DuraAce) on my bicycle once. Good thing I had my phone. I had to call a cab to get home.
Impressive. I've never broken a chain on anything. I've broken stuff a chain is anchored to, but never the chain.

Was it a pin that holds links together that failed?

notvinnie

Was it a pin that holds links together that failed?
The pin must have become detached. My guess is it was right at the link where I had installed the chain, with the chain tool. I'm sure it wasn't installed perfectly, although it didn't break until months after installing that chain. I guess it didn't really "break", but rather, it broke apart. It wasn't salvageable though, unless I wanted to remove a couple links. That would have made it a bit too short though. Bicycle chains have gotten quite thin over the years, with rear cassettes having over 11 cogs in some cases.