Regarding base drum exercises.

Chinmay147

Hello everyone. I had a question for which I need help. I'm a beginner and thus while practicing the basic rock beat and it's variations on the kit my timing with hands is okay, but my kicks are just here and there. Please suggest me any good exercises to improve my kick drum timing. Thanks and regards.

C.M. Jones

The previous posts are right on target. Command of the bass pedal will flourish with normal practice, but it won't happen overnight. For now, focus on feel and timing, and don't be ashamed to limit yourself to very basic patterns for a while. Attempting more than you're prepared for will only lead to discouragement.

johnwesley

Silver Member
Paradiddles. Alternating triplets from left to right foot (if using double peddles). Also works if using hi hat. Basically the same exercises you do with hands can be done on your kick.

Alain Rieder

Silver Member
Build your bass drum technique with the help of my Time Manipulation drum book.

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

The previous posts are right on target. Command of the bass pedal will flourish with normal practice, but it won't happen overnight. For now, focus on feel and timing, and don't be ashamed to limit yourself to very basic patterns for a while. Attempting more than you're prepared for will only lead to discouragement.
sooo much this! Your feet are the foundation of groove. That and counting the subdivisions of the pulse while you play. I always tell my beginning set drummers that your feet are your soul....actually, I tell that to my marching drummers as well, bc it is true there too...

the busiest bass drum patterns will not work if the simplest ones don't either!!!

Justinhub2003

Maybe look at finding a cheap bass drum practice pad.

I find that I do better and focus more when I sitting behind my “practice” station. Which is a a kick drum connected to practice pad, a snare with a pad on it and a throne,

Doing helped me focus on just practicing and not noodling at the kit.

Otto

Platinum Member
I had a breakthrough many years ago when I spent a practice cycle(always cycle your practice routine and keep a documentation history of what you have done) playing what I would normally play with my right foot with my left hand ... and what I usually play with my left hand with my right foot(mixing snare and bass).

Once i was able to move back and forth I found I was struggling less with my own indecision on what I would play with by 'Bass Foot' and the rooting of my playing became 'more solid'...while not becoming 'stale' as I had developed the ability to 'see' my bass foot outside of the role I was trying to shove it into.