Regals!

CommanderRoss

Silver Member
I'm the first to say I'm not a fan of "big box" music stores like Guitar Sucker or Sam Ass.
But being out of town this weekend, a recording engineer buddy needed to stop by his local store to get a component cabinet. So I tagged along.
Low & behold in their drum department I found these.

I bought the last pair & or course the (non-existent) "drum person" had no clue as to the future of this company. Regal Tip was the first pair of sticks I ever bought when I was 10, so this was a great score.
I found a unicorn & plan to play carefully with them.

Regals.jpg

Maverick10

Hello there. Great Find at a Box Store. I've only found Regal's at mom and pop music stores and of course online. As far as I know they're still very much in business, just had a few setbacks during the pandemic and all. There are a Few threads already that have more details.

Keep on Drumming!!

CommanderRoss

Silver Member
Hello there. Great Find at a Box Store. I've only found Regal's at mom and pop music stores and of course online. As far as I know they're still very much in business, just had a few setbacks during the pandemic and all. There are a Few threads already that have more details.

Keep on Drumming!!
I thought that too at first, but then my current search for them have left me empty handed.
Even their site shows nothing but "sold out" under all their stick choices.

My local mom & pop shop hasn't stocked them in 2 years because they can't get them. Since many Guitar Suckers & Sam Ass' rarely have a "drum guy", they don't know anything about this company to begin with.

I sure hope they're still going, but the lack of availability (even direct) tells me there are issues.

Living Dead Drummer

Platinum Member
If you need sticks, call them direct. 716-285-3546
They are back up and running after being shut down for the pandemic, and in 2019 they also were down for many months converting their machines from back-knife lathes to grinders. I can personally attest to the quality of the next sticks being cut with grinders. That's what Vic/Zildjian uses as well, and I was REALLY impressed the last time I ordered sticks.
Stocks are low, due to pandemic regulations in NY they are operating on a skeleton crew. So call them if you need sticks.

Yamaha Rider

They are back up and running after being shut down for the pandemic, and in 2019 they also were down for many months converting their machines from back-knife lathes to grinders. I can personally attest to the quality of the next sticks being cut with grinders. That's what Vic/Zildjian uses as well, and I was REALLY impressed the last time I ordered sticks.
Stocks are low, due to pandemic regulations in NY they are operating on a skeleton crew. So call them if you need sticks.
Foolish of them not to keep their customers updated on their website tho?

Capital D

Thanks for the info! I'm gonna call them.

CommanderRoss

Silver Member
Good luck, post here with the results after you call se we can all have a better idea of how things are operating there. As it's been stated many times before here, the communication on internal operations with the consumers isn't the best.

Regal Tip was the first pair of sticks I ever bought. I was 10 & they were unlike anything else I ever had. I remember they were brown & the lacquer gave me grip I never understood.

No one can do the lacquer like they do and it's the only stick I don't have to use the sex wax on for grip.
Thanks for the number & I'll definitely call them.

I will say I'm with Yamaha Rider on why the lack of communication? Their webmaster needs to be reassigned as just a few keystrokes would've solved the issue.
Nothing will convince the drumming masses to move on than cutting them off.
How many will actually call that number over just saying, "Meh...I'll get a pair of *insert other brand here* instead."?

A lot.

I'd hate for them to invest in all the retooling only to have a very low customer interest because they've all moved on.
Here's to them keeping it going & making the recovery. ?

Living Dead Drummer

Platinum Member
Regal Tip was the first pair of sticks I ever bought. I was 10 & they were unlike anything else I ever had. I remember they were brown & the lacquer gave me grip I never understood.

No one can do the lacquer like they do and it's the only stick I don't have to use the sex wax on for grip.
Thanks for the number & I'll definitely call them.

I will say I'm with Yamaha Rider on why the lack of communication? Their webmaster needs to be reassigned as just a few keystrokes would've solved the issue.
Nothing will convince the drumming masses to move on than cutting them off.
How many will actually call that number over just saying, "Meh...I'll get a pair of *insert other brand here* instead."?

A lot.

I'd hate for them to invest in all the retooling only to have a very low customer interest because they've all moved on.
Here's to them keeping it going & making the recovery. ?

I totally get it, and completely agree with you. It's much easier when you're at a store and need sticks to just be like "What else ya got that's close?"

And I also agree with the thick lacquer finish. I can't play any another stick without grip tape. Regal's are the only one I can go raw on.

GMS_Fan

I ordered 5 pairs of the Jeff Porcaro sticks and, although it took Regal Tip a month to acknowledge the order and send them out, they are great! I am going to order more. These feel so good in my hands that I may switch from Promark. (y)

ToneT

I'm gonna call them too. I miss those 5b nylons!
They were THE perfect stick for me for ages.

Frank

Gold Member
Their lack of communication is pitiful. Many have written, only to receive no response. I wrote on Friday to try to get the real story.

My local dealer says he placed an order for me, but he didn't have any other story. I will believe the stock when I see the stock. In the meantime, I am evaluating other close alternatives to the RT stick I use.

I have played RTs for almost 50 years, and I am very disappointed in how they have handled this. Have tried many sticks over the years and then always went back to my RTs, but this lack of service and communication might be the impetus to get on another train permanently. I am about to return to gigging, and I don't like knowing I can't get stock of the stick I rehearse with.

RickP

Gold Member
I am done with Regal Tip after playing their sticks for over 30 years . Once my current supply is gone , I will not be buying them anymore .

I commissioned Jeff Rich of Rich Custom Drumsticks to copy the Regal Tip Billy Martin signature model and recently received 24 pair which should keep me busy for awhile .

I have become fond of the Vic Firth Steve Gadd and Keith Carlock sticks and have been using them in the interim .

I really like the feel and playability of the VF Peter Erskine Big Band sticks , just wish I could get them in double glaze . They would be the perfect sticks for me if they would do double glaze . I have asked a few VF people and they all say No way .

DrumDoug

When Rich Sticks closed down I asked them about the double glaze type finish they had been putting on my sticks. They were dipping them in Minwax High Gloss Brushing lacquer. I made a stand to dip them in with PVC pieces. I dip them once, let them dry for a day, dip them again and let them dry for a week. Voila! Any stick with a double glaze finish.

Attachments

• BAF4F3AA-AAA6-4755-B620-368BD5996B38.jpeg
    BAF4F3AA-AAA6-4755-B620-368BD5996B38.jpeg
    828.5 KB · Views: 10